dilbert1

Surprised to see a mention of double virgo, I thought they were properly obscure. Was really into this one tune last year for a few weeks, rinsed it. It sounds like a 90s UK indie classic.

Don’t hate it but not so into this one, although the drum track is amazing to my ears

dilbert1

I’m embarrassed to like this music, if that’s unclear. Or else the appeal of the music is confusing?

dilbert1

what do you like about it?
Aside from the “guilty pleasure”/out of my comfort zone aspect and the fact that its something new which I enjoy…

I think its good pop music, they have an ear for poignant melody, the lyrics are emotionally crass, superficial and hooky but beautiful at the same time, not too clever. I love the way the vocal duties get passed along within many of the songs, anticipating each member’s contributions, and Nina’s voice/affectations I find particularly beautiful. Across their releases they’ve shown a certain stylistic flexibility that also feels cohesive and restrained. I enjoy the bare but rich production, and the guitar playing doesn’t feel too ornate like its up its own ass. There’s a vulnerability which feels appropriate to the emotional feebleness of the youth who this music is inevitably for. It could be considered indulgent but to my ears its quite tasteful compared to the ridiculously extreme stuff many zoomers seem to find catharsis in these days.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
music sounds like the hyper-activisty middle class antifa who makes such a spectacle of victoriously beating up nazis but secretly dreams of being one.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Aside from the “guilty pleasure”/out of my comfort zone aspect and the fact that its something new which I enjoy…

I think its good pop music, they have an ear for poignant melody, the lyrics are emotionally crass, superficial and hooky but beautiful at the same time, not too clever. I love the way the vocal duties get passed along within many of the songs, anticipating each member’s contributions, and Nina’s voice/affectations I find particularly beautiful. Across their releases they’ve shown a certain stylistic flexibility that also feels cohesive and restrained. I enjoy the bare but rich production, and the guitar playing doesn’t feel too ornate like its up its own ass. There’s a vulnerability which feels appropriate to the emotional feebleness of the youth who this music is inevitably for. It could be considered indulgent but to my ears its quite tasteful compared to the ridiculously extreme stuff many zoomers seem to find catharsis in these days.

sorry bro barty music is much better than this

dilbert1

music sounds like the hyper-activisty middle class antifa who makes such a spectacle of victoriously beating up nazis but secretly dreams of being one.
I like the energy here and agree about middle class sensibility, but kind of a bizarre take. You make them sound like an anarcho power electronics outfit

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I like the energy here and agree about middle class sensibility, but kind of a bizarre take. You make them sound like an anarcho power electronics outfit

I was talking about that double virgo lot. It's very... portentous as opposed to being pretentious.

dilbert1

When I hear “portentous” music for glory-hungry activists I think of Conflict chanting “WOT WE GUNNA BE DOIN NOW THAT ITS 1984,” not gaunt navel-gazer anthems to wallow to. I suppose “No Sweat” does have a kind of serious solemnity that I don’t appreciate. I find most of their stuff more twee than anything, though. Thematically speaking there’s certainly no sense of social commentary, politics or outwardness whatsoever. Just breakups and relationship strife, which is rather typical for pop music wouldn’t you say?