IdleRich

IdleRich
the peak of being something bad/shit/awful/naff. That's peak man.

what was the context?

also peaks been around in london slang for days.
Can't remember the precise context but yeah probably was slightly negative, though I kinda thought it was negative cos there was a lot of it rather than it being inherently bad - that's why I thought maybe it meant intensity or similar.

IdleRich

IdleRich
do the oxfordshire mandem even have slang though. sketchy is hardly a slang word by now. Multicultural oxfordshire English. MOE.
Good question actually. I can't really think of any words right off. There is a sort of peculiar phrasing at times - sound like farmers or whatever. I remember being in the pub one time and these guys were playing cards, trying to teach one of them the rules and the guy said something like "Aaarrr, I put im on e?" meaning "Can I put this one on that one?" - not slang but sounded like a wurzels impression except real.

IdleRich

IdleRich
They probably still say rumpy pumpy like Denis Healey. Although of course England's monarchs are so shit they won't have Petronella Wyatt executed for treason. Useless country.

even plaid @craner would do a better job.
It's sort of a two tier thing, you have posh people with RP and then the locals where I was were kinda like West Country but with a sort of harsher edge. Devon meets London or something.

Rumpy-pumpy sounds like fake posh associated with the uni but that's not real or local.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Can't remember the precise context but yeah probably was slightly negative, though I kinda thought it was negative cos there was a lot of it rather than it being inherently bad - that's why I thought maybe it meant intensity or similar.

yeah it's somewhere between peak intensity and sketchiness. it's hard to explain without the conversation. but yeah sketchy is probably what you lot would say.

mvuent

Void Dweller
I was in college when this kinda stuff started rolling out, and the really cool weirdos were obsessed with it, and I tried so hard to love it, and it just never synced up with my emotional wavelengths. I'm still trying.
it's like disney channel mantronix.... dynamix ii for early 2010s tumblrites

mvuent

Void Dweller
When they were really little and I was doing lot of childcare, I would be playing electronic avant stuff, Stockhausen, Ligeti etc and they didn't object, it didn't seem to bother them at all. But nor does it appear to have laid down a bedrock of avant-susceptibility in their tender impressionable psyches.
i do think this sort of thing can work in unexpected latent directions. when i was really young my dad would always play this afro celt sound system cd that a friend of his given us. i think he was approaching it from the angle of jazz or world music. but as the use of "sound system" in the group name hints the music was, in retrospect, heavily influenced by dance music trends of the time (breakbeats, 90s-sounding synths). in fact, while the comparison would obviously appall the just4ulondonites around here, some of the music was sonically a lot closer to early rave music than to traditional african or celtic music. or at least, that's what it planted the aesthetic seed for w/ me (as opposed to leading to a susceptibility to lord of the dance or whatever). i wonder if being exposed to weird avant electronic music at young age is partially what led your son to appreciate weird, arguably avant memes.

Leo

yeah, just knowing weird stuff exists must be enlightening for kids as they develop, whether they grow up to like the music or not. they've had their eyes opened to things that most kids don't.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Listening to the moving shadow discography, I'm on the early hardcore stuff from 92

Strikes me that this music in a sense 'sounds like' the fragmented, choppy, bitty, restless world of the internet.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
corpsey told me he wants to dissolve luka in a vat of acid whilst force feeding him the red hot chilli peppers and devlins illustrious repertoire.

Leo

corpsey told me he wants to dissolve luka in a vat of acid whilst force feeding him the red hot chilli peppers and devlins illustrious repertoire.

That's only fair, Luka talks about torturing and killing Corpsey all the time.

dilbert1

Not easy to do, but I’m here to confess that I’ve come down with a serious case of youthful idiocy. Perhaps this could just as well be posted in the ‘last 72hrs’ thread since no one’s being that strict and the primary act in question has a new album released last month. Perhaps as something I’m claiming to enjoy it ought not be posted on the forum at all, as I’ve no intellectual or ekphrastic defense to mount (as would be par for the dissensus course) for a weakness of the aesthetic spirit I’ve in a short span of time become inured to.

However, I’d be lying, and keeping it a secret from all of you no less, if I didn’t admit that certain material by Bar Italia (who I just saw live and was further impressed by), and sister band Double Virgo, has breached my anti-rock paradigm and tickled emotionally regressive fancies left dormant probably since I was 12 years old listening to Bloc Party and Interpol.

They’ve been mentioned on the forum here and there, but I paid no mind. It started innocently enough, the girlfriend showing me a few songs. I thought “yeah ok, Dean Blunt connection, moody, evasive, whatever.” Then, “hey, this one’s quite good. Still most of it is shit.” And soon, “well there’s depth here, there’s something to this I’m connecting with or can at least appreciate.” Suddenly, its grown one me like a parasite, I’ve memorized and am singing the lyrics aloud to myself, humming the songs because I literally cannot stop listening, I’ve become invested, a reluctant partisan.

Posting below some of the material on which I’ve been shamefully feasting on. I’m here for a lashing, not to be affirmed, so diss away and cleanse me of my sin. Or cordially discuss in sonic and cultural terms, if you find them worthy of application. In any case, I can tell you with certainty and the benefit of direct experience that the kids are eating this up, and now I’m one of them.

shakahislop

Not easy to do, but I’m here to confess that I’ve come down with a serious case of youthful idiocy. Perhaps this could just as well be posted in the ‘last 72hrs’ thread since no one’s being that strict and the primary act in question has a new album released last month. Perhaps as something I’m claiming to enjoy it ought not be posted on the forum at all, as I’ve no intellectual or ekphrastic defense to mount (as would be par for the dissensus course) for a weakness of the aesthetic spirit I’ve in a short span of time become inured to.

However, I’d be lying, and keeping it a secret from all of you no less, if I didn’t admit that certain material by Bar Italia (who I just saw live and was further impressed by), and sister band Double Virgo, has breached my anti-rock paradigm and tickled emotionally regressive fancies left dormant probably since I was 12 years old listening to Bloc Party and Interpol.

They’ve been mentioned on the forum here and there, but I paid no mind. It started innocently enough, the girlfriend showing me a few songs. I thought “yeah ok, Dean Blunt connection, moody, evasive, whatever.” Then, “hey, this one’s quite good. Still most of it is shit.” And soon, “well there’s depth here, there’s something to this I’m connecting with or can at least appreciate.” Suddenly, its grown one me like a parasite, I’ve memorized and am singing the lyrics aloud to myself, humming the songs because I literally cannot stop listening, I’ve become invested, a reluctant partisan.

Posting below some of the material on which I’ve been shamefully feasting on. I’m here for a lashing, not to be affirmed, so diss away and cleanse me of my sin. Or cordially discuss in sonic and cultural terms, if you find them worthy of application. In any case, I can tell you with certainty and the benefit of direct experience that the kids are eating this up, and now I’m one of them.

Surprised to see a mention of double virgo, I thought they were properly obscure. Was really into this one tune last year for a few weeks, rinsed it. It sounds like a 90s UK indie classic.