thirdform

pass the sick bucket
A lot of pop culture these days seems to be evaluated on its politics.

it is pop culture. it has always been evaluated on its politics, otherwise it would not be pop culture. These are the basics here! pop culture always reflects the ideas of the ruling class, and in this sense roison's terfism only entrenches her lack of autonomy further in the bourgeois muck she thinks she's transcending.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
pop culture is an imaginary fantasy, that's what makes it interesting. It goes rotten when its symbolic signifiers and real material conditions don't correspond to the fantasy, but that doesn't mean it is *the real* Although the real, being unattainable and unassimilable to language illustrates the lacuna in psychoanalysis, in that the pettycoates to which the bourgeoisie are attached are that of mother nature herself rendered in abstract commodity, and hence, the violation is denied ever more stridently. It's always been like this, you can't do anything, there is no way out, etc etc.

Neither is that to diminish the power of fantasies. but fantasies aren't transformative actions so mch as dodging and swerving.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
only poor liberal buggers formulate the question such that ideology is a false god which needs to be transcended.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I really don't think it's possible to unionize production of tradable goods in the developed world. Everyone wants to blame employers with 2% margins as the big bad guys of capitalism, nobody wants to go after the landowners.
You ever read Henry George? Did we talk about this already?

ghost

You ever read Henry George? Did we talk about this already?

I've read P&P and Social Problems both, I run a small Georgist meme group. Have been trying to sell people on "Georgist Accelerationism" for years with mostly no luck.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Haha I read P&P (nothing else by him so far), and I really enjoyed it and it deeply resonated with me. That said, I'm still not quite convinced that the land value tax, even as he described it in his day yet alone now, would cure the economic "paroxysms" he described and bring us meaningfully closer to economic equality.

I really want to believe that, and there are actually a handful of folks at CityDAO who are researching and building Georgist and Harberger economic models on-chain, although I think much of that remains chiefly theoretical.

Anyway, what do you mean by georgist accelerationism? Accelerate speculative trends until speculation categorically isn't viable anymore?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Finishing up a draft on this short essay now, gonna publish it soon. I'm curious about whether or not it can incorporate georgist ideas into a praxis (right now the praxis is essentially build a network of technologically advanced non-profits to self-regulate the regulatory vacuum of emerging tech industries in a manner more humanitarian than if otherwise left up to free market VC incentives). I'm mildly intoxicated at the moment.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
The notion that all taxes could be replaced by a single land value tax, whereby the state would presumably fill the role as the universal landlord (although the state assuming this role isn't quite necessary - could possibly be filled by smart contracts, but thats still super theoretical), is certainly very enticing. But as I recall, nowhere in P&P did George get into practical/operational detail about assessing land value (as a function of social/industrial proximal development, as I think he implies).

Then again, I know certain jurisdictions, in the US and abroad, have implemented land value taxes inspired by Georgist ideas (he was apparently quite popular in his day), but I haven't looked into them, nor do I know their success rates in terms of minimizing economic disparity (not that success would necessarily be so causally linear there).

ghost

Unfortunately, the CityDAO guy doesn't really understand why harberger taxes are unsuitable in places with uneven levels of structures.

Basically, the premise of georgist accelerationism is that rising land rent is the reason why economic growth doesn't compound human benefits as it should. Poverty remains because the gains achieved by capital and labor are confiscated by the rentier class.

In the G-Acc world, by implementing LVT you're able to unchain capital from a steadily rising cost structure, you're able to end the cycles of reterritorialization and enter into a deterritorialization without limit, producing a bounty of shared public wealth and a cost of living that trends towards zero. You get a society that resembles the US during the 60s as people find themselves freed in great part from the chains of economic necessity.

ghost

Assessing land values isn't that much harder than assessing property taxes—and you don't have to be perfectly accurate to get many of the benefits of an LVT. Even just raising property rates and providing long-duration breaks for new construction approximates much of the benefits of an LVT in terms of what pencils.

ghost

Finishing up a draft on this short essay now, gonna publish it soon. I'm curious about whether or not it can incorporate georgist ideas into a praxis (right now the praxis is essentially build a network of technologically advanced non-profits to self-regulate the regulatory vacuum of emerging tech industries in a manner more humanitarian than if otherwise left up to free market VC incentives). I'm mildly intoxicated at the moment.

need to reread this closely but you may be interested in my old bit about how Uber is Maoist—will dig it up soon

DannyL

Wild Horses
yeah i do remember that happening, although i can't exactly remember the internet reaction. these were interesting convulsions. probably everyone has been through this process by this point where something they've thought has been attacked as being racist mysogynist etc, and had to weigh it up, square it with themself.
Diane Abbott obviously gets a massive amount of shit for just being a black women. I imagine it's tremendously stressful. Just look at the comments under any articles mentioning here. I don't like her politics at all but that seems undeniable.

Sarker is younger, prettier and has the buffer of Novara's coolness but I'm sure it's also true for her.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I haven't worked out how to describe it yet, maybe someone else has come up with a term for it, but it's part of a broader phenomenon that takes in the therapy language I was grimacing at shaka using on the previous page and the examples posted in the Twitter style and tone thread and 'Actioning a blue-skies approach outside the box'.

It's for another thread, really, but it's clearly something to do with our current flavour of liberalism and the way everyone's expected to be their own brand and 'optimise' themselves. The extension of a grating amalgamation of the business pitch and the therapy session into every aspect of life. Everything filtered through this horrible blend of cloying sentiment and antiseptic professionalism and focused on individual development as though you're perpetually in a boardroom discussing a piece of tech aimed at children.
Speaking as a therapist the whole therapy language thing is bollocks. It's important you talk clearly and openly to patients. I blame TikTok.

The extension of a grating amalgamation of the business pitch and the therapy session into every aspect of life. Everything filtered through this horrible blend of cloying sentiment and antiseptic professionalism and focused on individual development as though you're perpetually in a boardroom discussing a piece of tech aimed at children.
Linkedin viral posts are the epitome of this - worst place on the internet, so so bleak

mixed_biscuits

Reminder to people calling for independent women: independent means they won't think the same as you and they also won't care, because they are not dependent. Suck it up. If you were strong and independent you wouldn't care that much either.

But in the end she backtracked pathetically so the misogynists got what they actually wanted.

mixed_biscuits

Once Roisin 'revealed' her seemingly nefarious 'nature' this could not be dispelled by either doubling down and asserting her own identification or through apologising - she is caught in a double bind similar to the witches in the witch trials.