thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this is exactly the halfway house @other_life was being reproached for.

either the human will is divinely established, in which case it is not subject to material constraints, or the material world is determining. there's no middle ground. compatibilism is nonsense.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Not necessarily, you don't need a religious affiliation to believe with your whole heart that there is an order that stands outside of time that guides the progress of the cosmos as time progresses. I think Bohm called it the pilot wave, or Rta/satya in the Vedic texts, Logos in classical thinking, or Gnon. And of course your can have free will within such a determined framework because the influence of human will is necessarily limited compared to the overarching principes, and either concordant or discordant with it.

Ghazali reproached the philosophers for claiming that God was unaware of particulars, which is what you're doing here.

Don't! it's a bad habit!

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I know, because that is what I said above

and yet for your scheme to work, god has to be unaware or his mediation of particulars is nonexistent.

This is flawed for the principle reason that it means that God is not truly omnipotent, and hence it is ontologically conceivable to think of a being greater than the God you've conceived of here.

Ghazali reproached the philosophers for claiming that God was unaware of particulars, which is what you're doing here.

Don't! it's a bad habit!
Did not say that. You're prone to reading your interpretation into others. God is the particulars, is what I'm saying. But humans are exceptional particulars with a degree of freedom in their realm, but not necessarily at the level god operates on. Try exerting free will when you're dead in a universe that carries on without you. Lol.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Did not say that. You're prone to reading your interpretation into others. God is the particulars, is what I'm saying. But humans are exceptional particulars with a degree of freedom in their realm, but not necessarily at the level god operates on. Try exerting free will when you're dead in a universe that carries on without you. Lol.

no, God is the universal, not the particulars.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
All I'm doing is illustrating the stakes of your argument. Personally I'm of a complete opposite persuasion. no free will whatsoever, because freedom can only be freedom from, not freedom to.