GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

gabriel

The Heatwave
i dont get how someone from mass said that they dont do black nights though - they do various reggae nights dont they?

they do rodigan's reggae on wednesday nights. they used to do bashment/r'n'b nights on fridays/saturdays but i think they stopped cos of trouble (?), which is presumably what they're referring to there

Blackdown

nexKeysound
the met vs grime
http://www.timeout.com/london/clubs/features/print/2674.html

what are the chances of there being a grime 'fuck the police' song i wonder?

i dont get how someone from mass said that they dont do black nights though - they do various reggae nights dont they?

i've been saying this has been happening for five years and it still makes me angry. what right to the police have to pre-emtively stop a musical event before a crime has been committed? what law is being used? if this were opera, there'd be outrage. because it's urban music, no one even mentions it.

elgato

I just dont know
pure speculation, but i doubt its based on specifically articulated legal powers, i imagine instead it comes from legislative passage which is general and open to interpretation...

but you're right, promoters or artists should challenge them to justify what they're doing, as even vague law is law, they are bound to operate within it, and if vague legislation engenders substantial confusion the courts will clarify and delimit appropriate behaviour if called upon to do so

the obvious problem though is that a lot of how police operate is (probably by necessity) in a grey area of informal arrangements and understandings, and challenging them to produce legal justification may not be the most pragmatic or productive choice

thats a call to be made by someone who knows better the realities of the met

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
Thing is, even if we're talking about fights happening at grime events- and occasionally it does, people getting rushed on stage etc.- what's the difference between that and what goes down at Ritzy's in Middlesborough every weekend? Unless there's some threat of overwhelming, organised, armed violence (which by it's very nature is only going to happen if a club had been going for ages), the police shouldn't be anywhere near grime nights.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound

Didn't the Home Secretary recently say that he would not get involved in the knee-jerk condemnation of gang culture, and that there was nothing inherently wrong with groups of young kids getting together?

The Guardian and The Independent really need to pick up on this article and make something of it, and try and expose this shit further, if anyone knows who to push to there.

mms

sometimes
Didn't the Home Secretary recently say that he would not get involved in the knee-jerk condemnation of gang culture, and that there was nothing inherently wrong with groups of young kids getting together?

The Guardian and The Independent really need to pick up on this article and make something of it, and try and expose this shit further, if anyone knows who to push to there.

there was some stuff recently about police in the west end encouraging house nights as there was less violence compared to the hip hop nights, and a promoter recently told me his electro/techno night was given full thumbs up by the police on account of the music, what kind of club life has london got where the fkn cops are the tastemakers!

mos dan

fact music

well I pitched basically the same story (the one I feel fairly certain Time Out nicked from my pitch) to The Observer arts editor Sarah Donaldson in November. She was, in her own words, 'very interested in my thesis', but in the run-up to Christmas there wasn't the space to go out on a limb and run something 'niche' like this, so I was advised to take the story elsewhere (Dazed, as it turned out). I'd also pitched it to contacts on The Guardian's Film&Music section.

So I guess my point is, it's not like the broadsheets don't know, or haven't had the opportunity to run this story. It's just not high enough on their list of priorities.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
well I pitched basically the same story (the one I feel fairly certain Time Out nicked from my pitch) to The Observer arts editor Sarah Donaldson in November. She was, in her own words, 'very interested in my thesis', but in the run-up to Christmas there wasn't the space to go out on a limb and run something 'niche' like this, so I was advised to take the story elsewhere (Dazed, as it turned out). I'd also pitched it to contacts on The Guardian's Film&Music section.

So I guess my point is, it's not like the broadsheets don't know, or haven't had the opportunity to run this story. It's just not high enough on their list of priorities.

You might wanna pitch it again now mebbe? I know the Guardian is notoriously conservative with regard to accepting features or comment work that hasnt been covered elsewhere...Good on yer for gettin in there though, best of luck. I'd just like to see this one spread about further, and some political lobbying starting to happen with regard it, and especially Club Focus.

mos dan

fact music
You might wanna pitch it again now mebbe? I know the Guardian is notoriously conservative with regard to accepting features or comment work that hasnt been covered elsewhere...Good on yer for gettin in there though, best of luck. I'd just like to see this one spread about further, and some political lobbying starting to happen with regard it, and especially Club Focus.

yeah i guess.. it's important enough that i oughta swallow my bitterness about being catted by time out. :rolleyes:

incidentally guardian wiley interview should be coming in the next month or so; the film&music editor's first reaction to my pitch was 'hmm... grime. is grime still... happening?'. lol.

i also hear that dizzee is going to be on the cover of *holds nose* observer music monthly *spits* in april.

Poisonous Dart

Lone Swordsman
Yep, I agree.

I consider Kano a successful artist. I wouldn't say he is a worldwide act. Dizzee is just about. Dizzee has outsold Kano by a long way as well.

But Kano is successful. He outsold everyone else but Dizzee.

I think Kano has the best chance to break right now...Dizzee has been laying hella low lately. One.

gumdrops

just checking out the new releases at ukrecordshop (cant sleep at all). this new skepta ep is alright i suppose, nothing very special.

the dj garna one is better, sounds kinda like the stuff mc murk would mc over though, kinda 2002/2003-ish.
http://www.ukrecordshop.com/shop/catalog/DJ_Garna__Boxfresh_EP_p_19230.html

new wiley sounds quite good
http://www.ukrecordshop.com/shop/catalog/Wiley__Together_As_One_EP_Vol_1_p_19237.html

i like the slew dem bumbaclart badman track - say what you want about slew dem, at least theyre consistently grimey with their 12s

the j sweet ep isnt bad, 1st track is basically wonders what AGAIN but i still like it, this seems like a good value ep

i must go to sleep now, enough of my consumer report lol

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Has anyone checked out the grime wiki page? It's a bit of a shambles. Surely people on here could have a go at cleaning up some of it.

"Due to its experimental nature and diverse stylistic influences, artists involved in the grime scene initially resisted attempts to classify or pigeonhole the style, resulting in a range of different labels, including sublow, 8bar, nu shape and eskibeat"

nu-shape? Maybe I'm just not keeping up.