GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

gumdrops

thanks for the link but what so good about that Skepta beat? the vocals are awfull

*sings so solid chorus to 'haters'*
;)
well the prob i have with it apart from the shitty vocals is just the fact it sounds a bit too jerky, not really developed, like a one bar loop or something. but i like it regardless of that. it might be the new fwd riddim. perhaps.

gumdrops

not sure if its taken from a dancehall beat but i think target on 1xtra said they were gonna get some dancehall artists to vocal it (and make the grime MCs look shabby lol).

from blissout.blogspot -
"Wiley, Playtime Is Over
That Wiley’s on Big Dada nowadays confirms the sense that grime, its crossover dreams dashed, is going to settle into being the Other Britrap. Disappointing for those who hoped for so much more for it, but not that ignominous a fate I suppose. And Wiley sounds as cocky as ever here. Better than Treddin’."

how can it NOW be the other brit rap when everyone was saying it was 'the real uk hip hop' about 3 years ago? hasnt it been brit rap from day one. listen to some earlier mix cds like street anthems and in between the proper grime tracks theres a lot of fake hip hop dross in there too (although i concede that even that might have been more energised and hungrier and have more of that 'out to conquer' vibe than whats coming out now).

mos dan

fact music
from blissout.blogspot -
"Wiley, Playtime Is Over
That Wiley’s on Big Dada nowadays confirms the sense that grime, its crossover dreams dashed, is going to settle into being the Other Britrap. Disappointing for those who hoped for so much more for it, but not that ignominous a fate I suppose. And Wiley sounds as cocky as ever here. Better than Treddin’."

How does he know? They haven't sent out press copies promos yet, it's only just finished mastering.. maybe Wiley sent him mp3s direct? Maybe that's who Wil was staying with in the US lol.

I think the only thing that Wiley signing to Big Dada confirms is that there's someone other than 679 or XL in this country that has decent distro and pr and is willing to put out a grime album. The rest is more confusion and premature announcements of grime's (implied) demise.

has anyone said how amazing Shadetek and Skepta - 'Reign' is yet? I'm sure they have. I listened to that tune about forty times in a row this afternoon. Finally a freestyle (and beat) that does Skepta's skills justice.

gumdrops

How does he know? They haven't sent out press copies promos yet, it's only just finished mastering.. maybe Wiley sent him mp3s direct? Maybe that's who Wil was staying with in the US lol..

lol. but im guessing he got an advance copy.

has anyone said how amazing Shadetek and Skepta - 'Reign' is yet? I'm sure they have. I listened to that tune about forty times in a row this afternoon. Finally a freestyle (and beat) that does Skepta's skills justice.

any chance of a link for that?

gumdrops

that skepta/shadatek track is good. it sounds a bit self consciously 'trying to do grime' though. but the 'quality' and finish is better than a lot of grime tracks, yeah. i wish it was faster but its nice to hear skeptas vocals recorded properly, plus the beat sounds hard and well defined. plus it has a nice if repetitive g-funky melody. reminds me a bit of something like bumbaclart badman.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yf04ex

New track off Maths and English.

Enjoy.

sounds like this albums fix up look sharp. i wouldnt mind if he did a fast bmore club music type track but this just sounds like a pretty straightforward loop of the it takes two loop. the synth lines are good but it just sounds a bit ropey overall. kinda cheesy actually.

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

I gave this another couple of listens today and damn it is a grower! Pure class. Definite reply value and i love the fact there is no stupid chorus. It's ALL about sustained flows.

gumdrops

i cant stop listening to stage show riddim. a rare grime track in that it makes you feel happy (although yeah there are some tracks like that like jmes food or dizzees stand up tall or girls). not really a grime track in many ways though, i wonder how easily it could be mixed with other tracks, but at the same time im glad it sticks out so much. and its good that someone in grime is doing something thats properly joyful rather than more dank, dark synth beats. not sure anyone really rode it that well (skepta seems to totally lose his sense of timing on his version lol), but i love the footsie and riko versions. would like to hear them properly, not cut off midway, but they sounded quite chaotic on rinse this sunday. this will be massive if there is a god.

Mr Jeg

suck your thumb
I really wasn't that impressed with stageshow at first, but after having it battered into my skull on two consecutive nights (first on Roll Deep's rinse slot, then on Logan's kiss show) I have to admit that it's BONKERS.

Ignoring the hype from Skepta himself, this song is going to rule the dances this year. People are just going to lose their minds. Carnival... oh my gosh... it's nice to have a very danceable grime song again. More versions please, I want an Ice Rink style double 12" :cool:

Also, although he doesn't fit the whole dancehall stylee of the versions so far, someone NEEDS to get D Double on this tune...

DJL

i'm joking
Jammer's version of Stage Show Riddim rules.

I've only heard the 1xtra clip above - the last version on there is the one that seems to work the best, who is on that one?

Last edited:

gumdrops

I want an Ice Rink style double 12" :cool:

Also, although he doesn't fit the whole dancehall stylee of the versions so far, someone NEEDS to get D Double on this tune...

yeah i want a doublepack 12 too (although they could all fit on one 12). id like to hear kano on this. i dont want to hear DEE do his guntalk bars on it, id like to hear his older 'give u more' style lyrics on it.

i think rikos version is best so far.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
There's a grime version of Stage Show?

(drools, tongue hangs out)

Can I buy it yet?

Getting rather irritated with people writing off grime because it didn't become some all-conquering behemoth...

so me and a friend decided to listen to

Logan after what... a year? before that I listened to Renegade Boys on Rinse....Purple is so gone as an mc....singlehandedly (bad spelling) raising the levels...

but Sama was tight...much less adverts and it just seems more profesh if you get me? and damn...the levels of mc'ing is just getting higher! that wretch 32 track...wow

also after hearing Ny I'm not ashamed to say that I went and checked for her cd and saw the cover...never knew she was that buff lol...even that N Dubz vs. N Dubz track is good...crazy...plus I swear he was saying '...taken from this person mixcd' every two minutes which is a good thing...things are growing and growing

but I just wanna know...how come you never played any tracks off the Aftershock album? given all that talk about 'labels need to fix up' and that a few pages back, I thought you would be supporting a label that is...being distributed by universal (I think)...apparently the album's is or is gonna be on flippin i-tunes?!?! things are moving forward in the scene! "celebrate [people]!" (c) roll deep

Last edited:

bun-u

Trumpet Police
it's like every mc on it has been instructed to roar until hoarse on it - amazing energy...I'm liking the badness one the most so far, though riko and jammer not far behind

Things making me feel positive about grime's future:
- people going mad for grime at live events (ok I'm biased, but the amount of new events is testament to the interest)
- seeing JME and Skepta being chased down curtain road in Shoreditch down by about 20 indie kids after a performance at Styleslut (people going mad for JME in Bristol on Thurs too by all accounts)
- rules and regulations v1, stage show riddim, 'I'm from a place'
- return of Goodz
- Lethal B's Mister, who after Oi and Pow must know that the path to success is nothing to do with crossover appeal
- the hype for Dizzee, Kano and Wiley's albums...it's all good
- vinyl being back in vogue and new labels
- the influence of funky house on productions
- the profileration of cross-over acts - n dubz, hadouken
- dissensus grime thread rolling again

gumdrops

id also add to that list:

- the gravitas (and knack for being simultaneously quite disturbing/darkly amusing) of kronik as an MC and the relentlessly hardcore-ness of slew dems production

gabriel

The Heatwave
There's a grime version of Stage Show?

(drools, tongue hangs out)

Can I buy it yet?

Getting rather irritated with people writing off grime because it didn't become some all-conquering behemoth...

nah, it's got nothing to do with dave kelly's stage show rhythm (unless i completely missed something when hearing the low quality, shouty versions posted upthread)

it's pretty good though, but so different from most grime - completely different beat, it's all dancehall syncopation at 140bpm, it could easily be a garage or a dancehall rhythm obviously in a way that's a silly thing to say seeing as grime is and has always been garage music with a dancehall (and other) influence(s), but there did become a kind of typical grime sound, which this just doesn't really have. so while in a way this might be seen as part of some kind of grime revival, in another way it confirms the idea that grime is dead, as it's the most hype thing in grime for ages and yet it's kind of not grime. if you see what i mean, lol

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
It's built by Skepta as his own Grime interpretation of a live band at Sting playing a rhythm track for Ninjaman to destroy.

And that is why all of the versions have the MCs spitting their biggest lyrics and taking the forward.

I would play the aftershock album but I haven't been sent a copy. I didn't know the release date until about a week and a half ago either. In fact I was playing Work on my show for about 6 weeks every week saying it was on the album, I was never corrected because it isn't in fact on there!

They seem to not be too interested in promoting it through my show to be honest. That is the impression I have got. I shall go out and buy a copy this week and run something off it next week. But there has been absolutely no correspondence from their side with me to co-ordinate any promotion. Which is strange because I have been in contact with Dizzee's management and Kano's management regularly about their album projects.