GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

mos dan

fact music
I gave this another couple of listens today and damn it is a grower! Pure class. Definite reply value and i love the fact there is no stupid chorus. It's ALL about sustained flows.

definitely. skepta's flow is untouchable when it's at its best. so clear! i've heard him pull off that sustained flow freestyle so many times at fwd (b4 it went to shit), that's why i'm so pleased to finally hear it done justice on record.

i will add my voice to the chorus re: stage show riddim. heard it once, wasn't rly feeling it. heard it rinsed repeatedly over 48 hours on radio, and now i love it.

i love the crowd 'atmosphere' sounds in there, just to really ramp up that carnival flavour... jammer and riko winning atm for me too.

reynolds has lost it when it comes to grime, i'm sorry. no amount of previous insight can bolster a perspective that merely amounts to tutting wearily from across a massive ocean.

mos dan

fact music
I would play the aftershock album but I haven't been sent a copy. I didn't know the release date until about a week and a half ago either. In fact I was playing Work on my show for about 6 weeks every week saying it was on the album, I was never corrected because it isn't in fact on there!

They seem to not be too interested in promoting it through my show to be honest. That is the impression I have got.

That's just really waste pr isn't it? Like the Killers not sending their album to Zane Lowe or something. It's Charlee at Vision who's promoting it. They sent crappy 90second snippets of each song out a while back.

petergunn

plywood violin
it's pretty good though, but so different from most grime - completely different beat, it's all dancehall syncopation at 140bpm, it could easily be a garage or a dancehall rhythm obviously in a way that's a silly thing to say seeing as grime is and has always been garage music with a dancehall (and other) influence(s), but there did become a kind of typical grime sound, which this just doesn't really have. so while in a way this might be seen as part of some kind of grime revival, in another way it confirms the idea that grime is dead, as it's the most hype thing in grime for ages and yet it's kind of not grime. if you see what i mean, lol

yeah, it's the first grime thing i've heard in a while that i want to play to non-grime fans the way i did "pow" or "i luv u", like "bet you've never heard anything like this!" def. flipping the script. it has that feeling like it's about to fall off beat and fall apart but never does...

feeling the Riko and Jamakabi versions...

Last edited:

gabriel

The Heatwave
It's built by Skepta as his own Grime interpretation of a live band at Sting playing a rhythm track for Ninjaman to destroy.

And that is why all of the versions have the MCs spitting their biggest lyrics and taking the forward.

interesting, hadn't listen closely enough to hear that. same concept as christopher birch's stage time riddim, with the feel of a live reggae band

gumdrops

gabriels post about it still not reflecting proper 'grime' is kind of right. this seems like quite a big shift from what we call grime proper. it was pretty obvious just listening to the roll deep show on sunday. the feeling when stage show is being played is like another world to the vocal tracks before and when karnage starts playing the instrumentals for skepta to MC over. maybe this is like a new pulse x moment? i dont necessarily see it as meaning the end for grime, or more confirmation that 'grime is dead', maybe it will just mean that all the MCs and producers will have to dramatically reconfigure their approach.

personally, when it went from stage show to the normal grime sound, i was actually a bit dissapointed. seemed like going back to the familiar, and even old (tried and tested?), and maybe its just cos its such warm weather at the moment, but while listening to it on my way to work, i couldnt be arsed with the same old dark stuff.

Mr Jeg

suck your thumb
yeah, it's the first grime thing i've heard in a while that i want to play to non-grime fans the way i did "pow" or "i luv u", like "bet you've never heard anything like this!"

yup, spot on. was doing a tape for a reggae DJ friend of mine yesterday and decided halfway through that i would have to end my mix 20 minutes early so that i could shove logan's megamix on the end!

if this DOES herald any changes, let's hope it convinces producers to move towards making some more danceable tracks. doesn't mean grime has to lose all the synth styles - check the beat for wiley's 'cool off' for instance. cold as you like but still makes me want to MOVE.

this whole stageshow business (espec the busy signal version - LARGE) had me listening back to old roll deep sets especially for their classic fire camp slew - another track that makes me want to bang my face with my fists from hypeness. don't suppose anyone has got a track ident for that one? it's the track where trim's verse is first and he gets at lethal for godsgift saying pow first on mic tribute. beat was used on that vybz dub.

lol

That's just really waste pr isn't it? Like the Killers not sending their album to Zane Lowe or something

lets not go crazy here lol but this

I would play the aftershock album but I haven't been sent a copy. I didn't know the release date until about a week and a half ago either. In fact I was playing Work on my show for about 6 weeks every week saying it was on the album, I was never corrected because it isn't in fact on there!

They seem to not be too interested in promoting it through my show to be honest. That is the impression I have got. I shall go out and buy a copy this week and run something off it next week. But there has been absolutely no correspondence from their side with me to co-ordinate any promotion. Which is strange because I have been in contact with Dizzee's management and Kano's management regularly about their album projects.

is kinda waste...there's no point having a good album and establishing new distribution opportunities for the scene if the important DJ dem don't have the tunes...its weird what your saying too...maybe they have hired some wasted PR (which isn't a good look)...in that case you might aswell d/l it from their website (paid obviously - I don't support bootlegging) and save some p then

It's built by Skepta as his own Grime interpretation of a live band at Sting playing a rhythm track for Ninjaman to destroy.

And that is why all of the versions have the MCs spitting their biggest lyrics and taking the forward

I'm sure I said this before though...anyway

gabriels post about it still not reflecting proper 'grime' is kind of right. this seems like quite a big shift from what we call grime proper. it was pretty obvious just listening to the roll deep show on sunday. the feeling when stage show is being played is like another world to the vocal tracks before and when karnage starts playing the instrumentals for skepta to MC over. maybe this is like a new pulse x moment? i dont necessarily see it as meaning the end for grime, or more confirmation that 'grime is dead', maybe it will just mean that all the MCs and producers will have to dramatically reconfigure their approach.

personally, when it went from stage show to the normal grime sound, i was actually a bit dissapointed. seemed like going back to the familiar, and even old (tried and tested?), and maybe its just cos its such warm weather at the moment, but while listening to it on my way to work, i couldnt be arsed with the same old dark stuff.

yes it is the weather...lol...honestly it is...its gonna rain tomorrow so cue up some Slew Dem lol

I swear I'm listening to a different tune than the ones you guys have...its ok, not great imo but definitely a carnival madness...I NEED to hear the Badness one...brotha's gonna replace Shizzle if Shizzle's not careful...in fact shouldn't Shizzle be on one of them?

I'm glad an ice rink style track is back though

if this DOES herald any changes, let's hope it convinces producers to move towards making some more danceable tracks. doesn't mean grime has to lose all the synth styles - check the beat for wiley's 'cool off' for instance. cold as you like but still makes me want to MOVE

this would be a good thing but honestly...where are the dance floors? and will 5 - 0 even allow one? that's why more danceable tracks aren't made...

whatever happened to young man standing?

there's a under 18's rave at Watford (tonight I think) that's got JME, Skepta and other man at...I don't even know how its going ahead with all this shutdown business going about...I pray it goes well though and there's no arms...

NEVER LOSE THE SYNTHS :eek: lol!

gumdrops

yes it is the weather...lol...honestly it is...its gonna rain tomorrow so cue up some Slew Dem lol

lol. you dont have to tell me. *cues up hour long loop of way down the road*
i can only take so much kronik in one sitting but i do find something quite brilliant in the way he says the same phrases ('lick a man down'... 'hop out the whip and just leng a man down'... 'blaze more than you'... um, 'eat more than you'... etc) and makes them sound brand new every time. or at least still delivers them with so much conviction, as opposed to it just sounding recycled. i like the way he occasionally combines them as well. eg - 'hop out the whip and just LICK a man down'. ahhhh, so many possibilities. id like to meet him one day. preferably without the three guys on the cover of the mix cd though.

Last edited:

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
this whole stageshow business (espec the busy signal version - LARGE) had me listening back to old roll deep sets especially for their classic fire camp slew - another track that makes me want to bang my face with my fists from hypeness. don't suppose anyone has got a track ident for that one? it's the track where trim's verse is first and he gets at lethal for godsgift saying pow first on mic tribute. beat was used on that vybz dub.

It is actually on the end of my Rinsessions CD I did for the old Rinsessions pack that came out.

mos dan

fact music
just got sent the tinchy album - pretty damn good! been disappointed w both his mixtapes, and his contribution to gnr2, but somehow that 'standard flow' thing he has (he always sounds bored!!) that ppl were discussing on here a while back really comes into its own. he's actually just quite listenable. very poppy productions but no worse for it. i could see the 14yr old galdem jumping on this.. they need to get some press in 'young voices' magazine...

Mr Jeg

suck your thumb
^Logan closed his show on monday with a 19 minute mix of different vocals of the stageshow riddim - eleven versions in all. footsie, jammer, c gritz, skepta, riko, tempa t, badness, flow dan, killa p, busy signal, and movado.

cheers for pointing that track out as well Logan, been caning all of the rinsessions cds all day as a result. still probably be my favourite (cd) grime release ever.

Cornflake

is there a reason someone is asking so much about the aftershock album? I had a listen to a bit of it and i didnt like it one bit. Not alot of ppl get into them as far as i hear but i acutally enjoyed the "Its coming Home" album..but this is no good.

28 Gun Nice Boy

Grime not on vinyl

One of the problems with the pre-eminence of mixtapes over vinyl now in Grime is that there have been a number of wicked recent tracks that haven't been released on vinyl which I think is a shame as it might reduce the impact that they have.

Some examples:

'Old School' / 'Don't Get Rude' / '96 Bars of Revenge (Vox)' JME (From 'Shh Hut Yuh Muh')

'Stampers' / 'Babylon Burner (Vox)' / 'Weedman' / Hickory Dickory' Roll Deep (From 'Rules & Regulations)

'Boy Better Know' / 'A Little Insight' / 'Deceived' JME (From 'Derkhead')

'Oi Rudeboy' Wiley (From 'Tunnel Vision 4')

'Xtra (vox)' / 'Money or Hate' / 'U Don't Know' / 'Rebore' / 'How We Livin' / 'Banga' Ruff Sqwad (From 'Guns & Roses 2')

'Background' / 'Maniac' / 'Stuntin' / 'Dodgy Niggaz' / 'U Do U' Slix (From 'Down')

Surely tracks like these would sell decent quantities on vinyl? I mean a lot worse tracks have been released recently. Does anyone with more involvement in the scene have any way to persuade the artists mentioned to release these gems (um, I guess that's really a question directed to Logan Sama...)?

Blackdown

nexKeysound
I'd love the JME/Grime Reaper track from Derkhead ("96 Bars of JME") to come out on vinyl, it would be lush to mix with - it's like Trans Europe Express!

Mr Jeg

suck your thumb
I'd love the JME/Grime Reaper track from Derkhead ("96 Bars of JME") to come out on vinyl, it would be lush to mix with - it's like Trans Europe Express!

Love this track, and "JME's IQ" as well. Really like the more relaxed feel, it's something that doesn't happen often enough in grime without it becoming your standard chipmunk hip-hop.