GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

One of the problems with the pre-eminence of mixtapes over vinyl now in Grime is that there have been a number of wicked recent tracks that haven't been released on vinyl which I think is a shame as it might reduce the impact that they have.

Some examples:

'Old School' / 'Don't Get Rude' / '96 Bars of Revenge (Vox)' JME (From 'Shh Hut Yuh Muh')

'Stampers' / 'Babylon Burner (Vox)' / 'Weedman' / Hickory Dickory' Roll Deep (From 'Rules & Regulations)

'Boy Better Know' / 'A Little Insight' / 'Deceived' JME (From 'Derkhead')

'Oi Rudeboy' Wiley (From 'Tunnel Vision 4')

'Xtra (vox)' / 'Money or Hate' / 'U Don't Know' / 'Rebore' / 'How We Livin' / 'Banga' Ruff Sqwad (From 'Guns & Roses 2')

'Background' / 'Maniac' / 'Stuntin' / 'Dodgy Niggaz' / 'U Do U' Slix (From 'Down')

Surely tracks like these would sell decent quantities on vinyl? I mean a lot worse tracks have been released recently. Does anyone with more involvement in the scene have any way to persuade the artists mentioned to release these gems (um, I guess that's really a question directed to Logan Sama...)?

id like Bring Ur Crew Then + Instrumental on vinyl too

on another note, found these links to some nottingham grime recently, liking these two tracks by the Game Cartel and Militant Milly (love the name) - especially Milly's sustained flow over a nice beat, sounds fresh, reminds me of shadow boy and blitz - out from da shadows

GAme CArtel - Notts Anthem
http://www.mediafire.com/?7nmzz2nweym

Militant Milly - Notts aka Shotts
http://www.mediafire.com/?6yhmtmlhyiq

interesting that grime hasnt really moved far from its london/outer london reaches considering the potential fanbase outside london - the nottingham stuff doesnt add much to the scene, or change it. Is this because grime has limited influence on a) people who dont normally listen to it or b) other scenes?

i'd like more collabs in the vein of the excellent Shadetek & Skepta - Reign

28 Gun Nice Boy

I'd love the JME/Grime Reaper track from Derkhead ("96 Bars of JME") to come out on vinyl, it would be lush to mix with - it's like Trans Europe Express!

Oh gosh! And how did I forget to include Wiley's 'Crash Bandicoot' (from Tunnel Vision 1)? Man, that really needs to be pressed up on vinyl.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
One of the problems with the pre-eminence of mixtapes over vinyl now in Grime is that there have been a number of wicked recent tracks that haven't been released on vinyl which I think is a shame as it might reduce the impact that they have.

Some examples:

'Old School' / 'Don't Get Rude' / '96 Bars of Revenge (Vox)' JME (From 'Shh Hut Yuh Muh')

'Stampers' / 'Babylon Burner (Vox)' / 'Weedman' / Hickory Dickory' Roll Deep (From 'Rules & Regulations)

'Boy Better Know' / 'A Little Insight' / 'Deceived' JME (From 'Derkhead')

'Oi Rudeboy' Wiley (From 'Tunnel Vision 4')

'Xtra (vox)' / 'Money or Hate' / 'U Don't Know' / 'Rebore' / 'How We Livin' / 'Banga' Ruff Sqwad (From 'Guns & Roses 2')

'Background' / 'Maniac' / 'Stuntin' / 'Dodgy Niggaz' / 'U Do U' Slix (From 'Down')

Surely tracks like these would sell decent quantities on vinyl? I mean a lot worse tracks have been released recently. Does anyone with more involvement in the scene have any way to persuade the artists mentioned to release these gems (um, I guess that's really a question directed to Logan Sama...)?

A lot of these releases only JUST came out! Hold your horses!

I agree with JME. He released a few massive instrumental EPs to support his mixtapes, but strangely no vocals. I imagine it has to do with a lack of demand for grime vocals by the vinyl buying public. As for Wiley, he released tonnes of white labels featuring vocals and instrumentals from the Tunnel Vision series!

I agree with the Xtra vocal, it would've fit so perfectly on that release with the Xtra riddim and And Ting vocal and instrumental, but in terms of new Ruff Sqwad releases "I'm From A Place" is better than anything from their mixtape.

For the amount of vocals you'd like to be able to spin there, you might as well do what I did to solve the problem and... buy Serato. :D

viktorvaughn

So i finally got my hands on Trim's tape. Seems really good - maybe not the masterpiece i was hoping for but of a generally high quality. The tune merking Syer is fierce.

Earz' tape on the other hand seems a bit dreary so far and it being hosted does it absolutely no favours.

Also got 'Ready for the Murkage' if anyone has heard that?

And an Agent X CD, seems he's mainly on 4/4 garage now.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I vote for Celebrate (TUUUUUUNNNNNEEEEE!!!!) and Babylon Burner. Stampers isn't doing it for me - yet.

Vocal only please. In fact I'd like the vocal plus an accapella, not an instrumental - don't really like grime instrumentals.

Fascinating info on stage show riddim upthread - I missed it cos out of the country - many thanks. I personally think grime is right back on it at the moment with roll deep leading the charge - and it has to mean something when Eden suddenly adopts it as his own (after literally years of me telling him he'll love it!). Grime is not dead, rather it's (even) better.

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
i def second 'Xtra' as a vocal track i would kill to have on wax... it actually might be one of my fav vocal grime tunes ever... the interplay between MC's is just too good... plus the Muhammad Ali quoting of "Bomba Ye" is dope as hell...

i just got a bunch of old grime records (including "Donkey Kick", i feel as tho i can die happy owning this on vinyl) and listening to songs like Kano's "Boys Love Girls" and Eastside Connection's "Armshouse", it's interesting how similar the beats sound to half-step dubstep, albeit with less bass...

Mr Jeg

suck your thumb
Definitely would add my voice to the chorus of people calling for more grime vocals on vinyl. While I don't exactly want random from any old mixtape popping up, the fact that stuff like 'Xtra' and 'Bring Your Crew' aren't about on vinyl is such a shame.

Still, at least Wiley put out 'Cool Off' and '16 Bar Rally.' Saving the day as always.

28 Gun Nice Boy

Grime tunes not on vinyl

My main point is that by not putting out on vinyl what are potentially some of the biggest tunes on the scene it minimises their general impact. I think that the vinyl output of a scene like Grime can help influence people’s perception of how healthy that scene is as music that’s also released on vinyl can get disseminated quicker; it’s another potential avenue of promotion for the scene.

gumdrops

dizzee and arctic monkeys
http://www.sendspace.com/file/v06zu1
he does a better verse than anything ive heard from his own album lol

not really into that new wiley single 50/50. i give him credit for doing a grime track (albeit a midtempo one), but it sounds like he dashed it off really quickly. not much of a 'song' there. b side is better just cos it sounds harder, and more urgent, but still, not really amazing. still, bring on the album.

Last edited:

gumdrops

yeah the placing was a bit typical of rap cameos. id have liked him to maybe just come in after the song had fake-finished as a reprise or something.

bow e3 is a fierce fierce tune. cant wait till that gets dropped in a club - bonkers

not feeling ready for the merkage vols 1 and2, a few good tunes but mostly pretty bad

trims mixtape is rather good, i love Get With It

"i'm a roll deep wrong'un
not from Bow Common
Problem child..
Child with a Problem.
Eastender but not Dot Cotton.
Nike...
Top...
Bottoms."

genius

benjybars

village elder.
bow e3 is a fierce fierce tune. cant wait till that gets dropped in a club - bonkers

not feeling ready for the merkage vols 1 and2, a few good tunes but mostly pretty bad

trims mixtape is rather good, i love Get With It

"i'm a roll deep wrong'un
not from Bow Common
Problem child..
Child with a Problem.
Eastender but not Dot Cotton.
Nike...
Top...
Bottoms."

genius

bow e3 was dropped at dirty canvas and i for one went bonkers:)

i cannot get that trim bar out of my head! (although apparantly he was a bit shit on logans show on monday:confused:

i heard that purple tune on rinse a while back, i reckon that its a better Dubstep-Grime crossover than JME-Skream - Tapped. Purple rides Torture really well - heres hoping that one gets a release