GRIME- breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

DJL

i'm joking
Another question:

Does anybody know why Mixmag strictly refuses to cover Grime, Dubstep or any other new genre like Hardcore Breaks? Has anyone tried to approach them with articles? I've sent them an email asking the same question but whether they print my question in the letters page next month remains to be seen...

DonRuba

Stocktown man
gumdrops said:
http://www.lilo.net/~martin/scandalous and Wiley - WD25 clip.mp3

blackdown thinks this is lyrically great, but wiley doesnt sound that amazing IMO. his flow is decent (hes no grime bun-b though) but the lyrics are a bit too plain and surface - not that diff from other stuff ive been hearing from him lately. still, the beat for this is (shame the clip is so short) quite excellent.

Since you're sad the clip was so short, here's a 3 min 40 sec radiorip of Wiley - WD25.

http://s17.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2GPUQ3HGAK2L237C16GQ1UNGK7

I think this one is great. It may not be the greatest lyrics ever written, but they're good and I love the flow and the beats. Flow-wise I'd say this is Wiley at his best.

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
DJL said:
Another question:

Does anybody know why Mixmag strictly refuses to cover Grime, Dubstep or any other new genre like Hardcore Breaks? Has anyone tried to approach them with articles? I've sent them an email asking the same question but whether they print my question in the letters page next month remains to be seen...

as far as i know i was the final mixmag garage correspondent. they took the view that urban music was beyond their remit, and it was incompatible to cover music that northern trance kids also didn't like.

EMAP's sold mixmag now though, to the publishers of Word. it will be interesting to see what editorial line they now take.

Last edited:

gumdrops

re: mixmag, i'd imagine its the same reason certain mags in the dance press didnt really cover jungle a decade back...

DJL

i'm joking
Don Ruba: thanks for the website link. I like some of the photos but like you it doesn't look to me an essential purchase.

Blackdown/Gumdrops: I'm so disappointed with the current music/style magazines in the UK. Even when Jungle started at least Mixmag covered it (even if not accurately or extensively). I'm a magazine fanatic and have piles of mags from over the last 10 years stored away. I used to love visiting the newsagents to pick up copies of the latest mags I was collecting but nowadays every visit is a let down. Thank god for the internet (or maybe not as it seems there are parallels with regard the decline of good mags and increased use of the net).

I still think the net can't replace the magazine and I'm hopeful that we might have some sort of return to the form eventually. Mixmag has the odd good thing in it but seems totally lost generally, I hope they can recover with this change of publisher. RWD is great except that I cant get it anywhere. Some other mags like Wire and ID and similar I check occasionally and are certainly good but not exactly what I'm looking for personally.

I've started my Uni course in Publishing now and loving it. I hope one day soon I can do something myself :)

Last edited:

Brokeman

Living Too Late
Logan Sama said:
That is called "Before This". Was going to be a vocal on the erstwhile PAUG album.

It is on the flipside to the Eskimo "Devil" Bass mix

This beat is a personal fave of mine.

Logan, always coming correct. Cheers!

DonRuba said:
I also thought that this was "Shanghai"!
So how does the real "Shanghai" sound?
Can someone upload a snippet of it, or is there any online store with soundclips where it's still for sale?

It's not for sale anywhere however I did just see one on DNR vinyl and sent the link to Blackdown who was looking for it. Shanghai is on the flip of Braindead Eskimo. You'll recognize it when you hear it, it's very Sino-Grime sounding; lots of Chinese-style melodies on cheap synths.

gumdrops

xxxxxpost, theres a recent hip hop track from this generally mediocre rapper called sunspot jonz who uses the same 'died in your arms tonight' sample as ruff sqwad... i somehow doubt RS know of jonz but you never know....

C

captain easychord

gumdrops said:
second track sounds just like underground but with new industrial clanging sounds (not a bad thing)

did anyone hear the ruff squad set where one of their DJ's mixed the two different versions on top of each other? it was serious...

micmack

My Little Pony
This has probably been asked before, but:

Is Skepta's Duppy coming out on 12" at the end of this month. I saw this somewhere, but not sure where. It may already be out for all I know, but I haven't seen it.

Thanks

S

simon silverdollar

DonRuba said:
I also thought that this was "Shanghai"!
So how does the real "Shanghai" sound?
Can someone upload a snippet of it, or is there any online store with soundclips where it's still for sale?

here you go:
wiley- shanghai

Brokeman

Living Too Late
boomnoise said:

big up woebot! that was a wonderful post and very hopeful, which is something i've needed to hear for a while. i'm totally on side with the call for patience and have been a little put off by the (perceived) desire to write off grime that seems to be floating around. i'll freely admit that things have been slow recently, but i keep coming back to the same thought that i've had before; this is in someway a music critic problem, not a music culture problem. by that i mean that the pressure to be first in music crit, to name a genre, to validate a genre may be the holy grail but a close second is to be the first to dismiss it.

S

simon silverdollar

no idea, sorry. it's got to be one of the early ones though, hasn't it? pied piper, tingz in boots, pied piper vocals, lethal injection...

dunno.

Last edited by a moderator: