questions you are dying to ask but are too scared to b/c of music nerd cred?

hopper

Live video I just watched on Youtube looks like she's using a Moog Voyager, but doesn't sound like the recorded version.

Recorded version I just listened to on Spotify sounds like a distorted Rhodes (or perhaps a Wurlitzer). The dynamics of it certainly suggest it's not a synth.

really? would she use a mono synth?

hopper

one thing that always gets me is where some people source their acapellas from - I'm particularly thinking of burial and pangaea - nobody can seem to identify them. Maybe it's a case of just picking things up hopefully from bargain racks in record stores, completely forgotten tunes....

Benny Bunter

one thing that always gets me is where some people source their acapellas from - I'm particularly thinking of burial and pangaea - nobody can seem to identify them. Maybe it's a case of just picking things up hopefully from bargain racks in record stores, completely forgotten tunes....

Yeah its quite easy to pick up loads of old rnb vinyl for cheap that have acapellas on them. Also quite easy to download them if you search for torrents on the net.

As for Burial, if you look on his wikipedia page it lists just about all the samples he uses. Some of them are really obvious things like Beyonce and Aaliyah. He even uses Robin S' Show me love on one tune!

paolo

Mechanical phantoms

Fairly sure that the vocal on 'Memories' is Gladys Knight

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
As for Burial, if you look on his wikipedia page it lists just about all the samples he uses. Some of them are really obvious things like Beyonce and Aaliyah. He even uses Robin S' Show me love on one tune!

Is this a link from the page, because I can't see it (may be being very stupid, however) - thanks!

muser

Live video I just watched on Youtube looks like she's using a Moog Voyager, but doesn't sound like the recorded version.

Recorded version I just listened to on Spotify sounds like a distorted Rhodes (or perhaps a Wurlitzer). The dynamics of it certainly suggest it's not a synth.

Ah k thanks, sort of what I was thinking but the vid threw me!

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Thanks. it would indeed have been really difficult to identify the vocal from Archangel, for example - even when listening to the Ray J song, I had to go back and forth to verify it.

millitant homoeroticism

Why do Slew Dem insist on mentioning Forest Gate when cockneys pronounce T siliently. it's amusing at least.

"hyped up guy with the masuline figure
tempa t gate E7 nigga
What do you know about man
you dont know about man
I've been around"

luka

Why do Slew Dem insist on mentioning Forest Gate when cockneys pronounce T siliently. it's amusing at least.

i dont really understand this question. do you mean grime people soun d like they are saying forest gay?

hint

party record with a siren
this will be an easy one for you lot. what is a double drop? as in some technical dj term

It's usually used to describe playing 2 d'n'b tracks on top of each other, after the drops on each.

So instead of mixing in the intro of track 2 and then cutting across when the bassline or breakdown comes in, you hold both tracks in the mix for ages and have both basslines playing at once for maximum aural trainwreck benefits.