don_quixote

Trent End

jenks

thread death
Got Tokyo Year Zero at last - been ploughing through a huge pile of birthday (and last christmas books)

only fifty pages in and i'm hooked once more - some late to beds for me coming up, i fear.

Also been reading more Roth and finishing Mr Sammler's Planet by Bellow. Been re-reading Maupassant as well - now he is fucking good.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I read Peace this summer, and it'll be a while before I can bring myself to re-read them. So bloody DARK and his narrative technique adds to that. Just overwhelming with repetition. Jon, have you read them? I'm sure there shades ov TOPY speak in there, I'm sure. He was influenced by Burroughs and there's some other PTV references in there somewhere so not a surprise.

I was a bit miserable this summer and when I mentioned to a friend I was reading them, he said "So, what else are you reading to cheer yourself up? The Baby P case files?"

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I was a bit miserable this summer and when I mentioned to a friend I was reading them, he said "So, what else are you reading to cheer yourself up? The Baby P case files?"

I found their darkness uplifting (Peace's novels, not the case files), because it's inhabiting a world much darker than my everyday one, and i can return to my everyday one at the end of it (plus its bleakness is entertaining and entrancing, rather than dull and ... bleak). Never understood the argument that dark fiction (in books or on screen) is depressing.

Reality is a different matter.

JWoulf

Burroughs/kerouac - And the hippos were boiled in their tanks.
Didnt even realise this had surfaced til i saw it in the library

polystyle

Burroughs/kerouac - And the hippos were boiled in their tanks.
Didnt even realise this had surfaced til i saw it in the library

Glad you caught that, I mentioned on here at one point, found at The Strand on Broadway ... cool experiment for it's day -and took a loong time to come out !

Last 'book' read - the 33 1/3 edition of "Another Green World" by Geeta Dayal. A one night read. Hmm ...

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
'The Engagement', Georges Simenon - really enjoying this...especially since it's only 130 pages long. Following Mr Hire around...a seedy, tragi-comic figure...who may or may not be guilty of murder. Great prose from Simenon.

grizzleb

The Idiot by Dostoyevsky. Really enjoying it, more than C&P which I thought was great. Does what good fiction should do, i.e put some element of unreality into the world and compare it with reality/let it interact with it. I love the prince.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
^ <3 idiot

read 1974 by d. peace; blew me doors off; want to read more

reading Last Samurai now by DeWitt (right?); misleading title; fantastic smart book with a nice yarn or two in there; only 160 or so in but it goes fast; if it were a movie, the tag line would be: genius ex-pat mom rears prodigy in london subways (tubeways?) with etymological divergences

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just started reading The Baphomet by Klossowski - seems pretty interesting so far albet fairly heavy going in parts. I think it was the inspiration for the film The Hypotheris of The Stolen Painting but as far as I can see from the novel so far the film is an extremely loose interpretation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Baphomet

Last edited:

you

The Idiot

The Idiot by Dostoyevsky. Really enjoying it, more than C&P which I thought was great. Does what good fiction should do, i.e put some element of unreality into the world and compare it with reality/let it interact with it. I love the prince.

To grizzleb and empty mirror

Im umming and arring over which dostoevsky to start next.

Ive read Notes, Bros K, Demons, Gambler and Double - thinking about the raw youth or the idiot next -

Any opinions on the main ones left? I quite fancy the raw youth as its kinda an underdog within his oeuvre but Pevear has said its a great book and really championed it against the reputation its encumbered with..

Thoughts?

Idlerich - that klossowski book looks great.

Last edited:

jenks

thread death
Gotta be the idiot - great see you around!!!

go on The Idiot, you won't regret it.

Me, i just got Vol 4 of Paris Review Interviews - totally addictive stuff.

you

Tariq Goddard

Heya jenks - Will go for the idiot in the new year then.

I recently read Tariq Goddards Picture of Contented New Wealth - it was quite enjoyable but ultimately anti-climatic, a few very interesting thoughts where raised though.

Ive put a full review on my blog
http://notesfromthevomitorium.blogspot.com/

Loads of posts and messages recently - i lost my password for a while. Good to be back.

T

grizzleb

Reading Sana Krasikov - 'One More Year' at the moment, a collection of bleak short stories revolving about the eastern european émigré experience in a distancing atomised US, where bonds exist only formally - love exists as its spectral double (and is thus even more arresting). She writes (despite some flaws and naivety) really well, every time you think one character is being let off or exemplified that element is removed. Some promising stuff, think the first collection of short stories by her. No surprises a Ukranian immigrant to the US.

And ps - The Idiot is amazing. The penguin translation is about a million times better than their one for Crime and Punishment too.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
To grizzleb and empty mirror

Im umming and arring over which dostoevsky to start next.

Ive read Notes, Bros K, Demons, Gambler and Double - thinking about the raw youth or the idiot next -

Any opinions on the main ones left? I quite fancy the raw youth as its kinda an underdog within his oeuvre but Pevear has said its a great book and really championed it against the reputation its encumbered with..

Thoughts?

Idlerich - that klossowski book looks great.

Crime And Punishment? I'm surprised you haven't read that since it seems to be his most mentioned book. It's the only one I've read all the way through and is quite brilliant.

I just got the Serpentine Gallery Manifesto Marathon...Fritz Haeg's 'London: A Manifesto From Your Animals' is both amusing and tragic. John Giorno's simply says 'IT DOESN'T GET BETTER'.

jenks

thread death
This is the thrid volume I have read and I really don't think I ahve read so much that is so illuminating about the process of writing - and from such a wide variety of sources.

Roth in this latest one comes across as such an engaging figure - i would heartily recommend these to anyone interested in writing and not just writers.