rivetrenuck

A Taste of Life

Currently reading a book by Mahesh Bhatt, an Indian bollywood Film Director/Writter.

A Taste of Life: The Last days of U.G. Krishnamurti.

The book is about the last days of of an eccentric man by the name U.G.Krishnamurti and Mahesh goes into the his relationship with U.G. and of course a short biography of U.G.'s life.

The book is amazing, i am completely hooked, a very touching story indeed. the book itself is very small. it just arrived today and i am halfway thru it already.

Now i am gonna have to watch Mahesh Bhatts's Films. If anyone knows a good Bollywood video rental store in London, hook us up or a bollywood connect.

nochexxx

harco pronting
just begun
Burroughs Lives

about to finish
Warren Oates: A Wild Life
bring me the head of alfredo garcia chapter, was especially entertaining. lots of amusing anecdotes as you would imagine.

Oates breakfast during Kid Blue:
shrooms on toast followed by crushed dexedrine flambeed in brandy.
rounded off with spoonful of vanila flavored lsd.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Currently well stuck into an out-of-print Penguin boxed set of the original Sherlock Holmes stories. Just really great, loving the juxtaposition of cold methodical deduction with adventure and derring-do and of florid Victorian prose with hard drug use.

jenks

thread death
Just finished Freedom by Franzen. I know there have been a few negative reviews but I really got into it - liked the schematic plot, forgave him his slightly unreal rock star because the portrait of the marriage was so interesting. I also liked teh ambition of it - I know oters here will see it as an abomination - well mannered prose that is not exactly breaking new ground in terms of the form. I feel it is like a modern Howards End - some thing forensic about the dealing with personal relationships and how the larger issues of politics impinge and are played out in a family.

Now onto Roth's latest - Nemesis

slowtrain

'the place of dead roads' - afaik not a 'classic' burroughs, but im really enjoying, maybe not somuch on a 'deeper'/literary level, but more on a fun read one... easy to follow story line, and all the shoot-em-up aspects are just killer... much better than brokeback mountain

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Apparently she wrote it more or less on a dare from Percy Shelley and Byron. They were all on holiday and they decided they would each write a ghost story and share it with the others. She hadn't written anything seriously before, and hers was the only one that ended up getting finished which isn't much of a surprise. Percy and Byron's ghost stories were probably shit.

luka

i read all 5 volumes of dreams of red chambers or whatever its called. it took me about 6 weeks. i thought that was a good effort. its one of the best novels. its also when of the longest. apparently i read the best translation. it was mostly by david hawkes (his version he calls the story of the stone). i said when i was just starting it that it seemed very foreign. but it doesn't really, maybe just the nutty first chapter. the end of the book is a bit trite but a)what ending isn't? and b) someone else wrote the end anyway. i hardly ever read novels so if i reccommend one it must be amazing and you should read it.
otherwise i might have a look at some geoffery hill. hes overrated but im going to give him a chance.

woops

is not like other people
Anyone ever heard of Logan Pearsall Smith? I never had until I found his book, Trivia, yesterday. It's just a collection of, as the subtitle says, 'Reflections and Aphorisms', funny in a rueful way and in a romantic kind of mode generally. Preface by Gore Vidal but that might not be a plus point on this board.

luka

today i read knut hamsum book called Pan. i liked it becasue it was short and easy to read. tomorrow i will read another of his books. i had a glance at the hill but i was right the first time, a bit shit really.