Great 2 Step?

Ory

warp drive
don't know if it's been mentioned already..

Seven Wonders - Crazy

smooth, deep roller by Zed Bias. sounds almost like a Groove Chronicles tune.

rosebeast

That Mariah remix is too good. Does anyone remember the First Steps remix of Telefunkin by N-Tyce? That was a truly immense piece of work. Anyone (and I know a few) who claims all 2-step remixes of pop records are bad is wrong.

Last edited:

rosebeast

I was having an argument with someone about this at the weekend when I dared to drop an Usher song as remixed by Sunship and they went into a full on rant about how it wasn't real garage and was thereby weak. I decided to piss him off even more a few songs later by blasting out the Truestepper / Victoria Beckham collabo which I still maintain was a decent and rather odd pop song.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That Mariah remix is too good. Does anyone remember the First Steps remix of Telefunkin by N-Tyce? That was a truly immense piece of work. Anyone (and I know a few) who claims all 2-step remixes of pop records are bad is wrong.

Ed Case(?)'s refix of Bootylicious proves that point perfectly. Bassline!

And Truesteppers/VB is a great off-kilter tune - best thing she ever did, of course.

I remember Telefunkin, nice & strange. I might be wrong but was that not one of the really early 2 step beats. First Steps are Groove Chronicles.

Powerful Wideboys bassline on this
And thinking about Sunship, he had a good track called Butterz, dont think its on Youtube though.

It might of been mentioned on the Africans in Grime thread, but I reckon theres a big difference between the garage generation of MC's and the Grime ones. A lot of the garage MC's try to sound like they are 40 years old. Off the top of my head I'm thinking of people like Creed, DT, Charlie Brown, Kie. Come to think of it Creed probably is 40 now. many Grime MC's came through with a really high pitched voice that prior to then would probably have been unnaceptable, too young sounding. dizzee being just one example. Thats my tuppence anyway.

craner

Beast of Burden
Great track, isn't it? Friend of mine called it "Hogarthian"; it's also exactly what Simon Reynolds is on about most of the time. Also, strip away the novelty samples, the music's fucking amazing: really warped and angular and succulent.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Does anyone remember the First Steps remix of Telefunkin by N-Tyce? That was a truly immense piece of work. Anyone (and I know a few) who claims all 2-step remixes of pop records are bad is wrong.

I remember Telefunkin, nice & strange. I might be wrong but was that not one of the really early 2 step beats. First Steps are Groove Chronicles.

I ripped this some years ago (including the Ramsey & Fen remix on the B side). I can upload if you want...?

rosebeast

I ripped this some years ago (including the Ramsey & Fen remix on the B side). I can upload if you want...?

That would be great actually. I bought my copy on cd single when I was a young'un and it's not in the best of conditions these days.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
My mate has two tapepacks of garage nation 2001, probably not the golden era of garage by any means but some pretty big sets on there. I'm going to try and get them ripped to PC in the near future, I haven't seen any garage tape packs online before... which is probably because I haven't looked hard enough, seeing as there are millions of jungle ones flying about.