nah, rzas done a few things for film, plus he done that afrosamurai not that ive seen it though

He also plays a drug enforcement investigator in American Gangster. I can't unreservedly recommend it though.

281x211.jpg

Then there's that 'yobillmuwway' sketch in coffee and cigarettes

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ghost Dog is the bollocks, every last inch of it. Can't work out why Jarmusch fans seem to have a problem with it.

What's with the cartoons, though? Whenever you see anyone watching telly, it's always cartoons, either old stuff from the '40s or Itchy And Scratchy...ok, fair enough it's a "recurring motif", but I'm not really sure what it was meant to say, and I thought it was slightly odd to have something so obviously contrived or stylised in an otherwise mostly-naturalistic* film.

*apart from the Haitian ice-cream guy who has doggedly resisting picking up a single word of English!

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
Good, think I'm going to see it next week and thought the first one was a bit hysterical.

Like the Bashy tune too.

Yeah I think it's a bit more considered than the first one. Still in the vein of 'London yoof films' tho (which I like).

Good soundtrack.

Did you like 'Bullet Boy'? - I thought that was better than kidulthood, and not just cos it was east rather than west.

crackerjack

Yeah I think it's a bit more considered than the first one. Still in the vein of 'London yoof films' tho (which I like).

Good soundtrack.

Did you like 'Bullet Boy'? - I thought that was better than kidulthood, and not just cos it was east rather than west.

Yeah, I thought BB had some moral text to it, where Kidulthood looked like it was calculated to raise as many Daily Mail hackles as it could (though there's nothing implicitly wrong with that, obv ;)).

Did anyone see the sarf London one, Lyrics & Life I think it's called?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Did you like 'Bullet Boy'? - I thought that was better than kidulthood, and not just cos it was east rather than west."
I thought that Bullet Boy was pretty solid. Wouldn't mind checking out Kid/Adulthood at some point although the name is a bit stupid.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
I saw a very good (and fairly strange) film yesterday called The Committee.

Just watched it this afternoon. Enjoyable in a retrospective late-60s-state-of-mind way. All points still relevant though, of course. But as the writer and director admitted it would have probably benefited from some small concession to 'accessibility'. Then again, that's a slippery road towards commercial cinema. Thought the extra doc was good too. The clocktower location fascinated us because it's just a five minute walk from our flat.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I thought that Bullet Boy was pretty solid. Wouldn't mind checking out Kid/Adulthood at some point although the name is a bit stupid."
Saw the posters for Adulthood today, the strapline says, "After Kidulthood comes Adulthood" - I'm pretty sure that the strapline for the previous film was "Before Adulthood comes Kidulthood" - I find something rather unsatisfying about that.

"Just watched it this afternoon. Enjoyable in a retrospective late-60s-state-of-mind way. All points still relevant though, of course. But as the writer and director admitted it would have probably benefited from some small concession to 'accessibility'. Then again, that's a slippery road towards commercial cinema. Thought the extra doc was good too. The clocktower location fascinated us because it's just a five minute walk from our flat."
Well, glad you didn't hate it or anything. Have to say that personally I found it pretty accessible, the shortness meant that there was no time to care about the meandering "plot" and it always seemed as though there was something in there to catch you attention such as the bloke comparing the other guy to his wife. You're right, that water tower did look very cool - where is it again?

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Yeah...being short helped. By 'access' I think they meant route into the ideas expressed...maybe...funny decapitation scene, though.

The tower's in Caledonian Park, off Market St, top end of York Way - still an impressive building...you can visit the 60s underground cultural landmark now, can't you? Approach it discussing something profound. No public access to the inside, sadly, but a friend of mine works for the council in an office nearby and has been to the top.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I've seen some legendarily bad films but this one is just jaw droppingly awful, you won't believe the levels it continues to sink to throughout it's duration. The monster costumes are quite good though and it's also got a pretty abrasive lo budget synth score.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075656/

Highly recommended.

Agent

dgaf ngaf cgaf
I haven't seen this recently, and I'm sure everyone on this board has seen it so there's no point in recommending it, but I'd like to take this opportunity to share the following trailer for Videodrome for you viewing pleasure:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Yeah...being short helped. By 'access' I think they meant route into the ideas expressed...maybe...funny decapitation scene, though."
What do you think though, the head-removal scene was just in his imagination but later on the committee was convened to investigate him purely for the thought crime of being bored by the guy who gave him a lift?

"Oh and a great appearance by Arhthur Brown!"
Yeah, that's wicked. I think you can see it on youtube here (although I could be wrong because I can't use youtube at work)

I think that the short story the film was based on was called Nightmare - that's the only link I can see with that scene which comes right out of nowhere.

"I've seen some legendarily bad films but this one is just jaw droppingly awful, you won't believe the levels it continues to sink to throughout it's duration. The monster costumes are quite good though and it's also got a pretty abrasive lo budget synth score."
I watched Creepozoids the other day and clicked on your link expecting it to be that from the description (er, except the monster costume is terrible in Creepozoid). Nice sub-Carpenter synth sounds anyway.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Spermula was good too. A weird mixture of comedy and eroticism about a group of bodyless aliens from the planet Spermula which is facing destruction from a deadly shade (whatever that is) that is slowly covering the planet. To prevent this occurring their leader, Big Mother, incorporates a number of the aliens in the bodies of beautiful women and sends them to earth to take it over by sucking the "life force" out of all the men using a method that you can probably guess.
What lifts this above an ordinary sex-comedy is how downright weird it is and how dreamlike it looks (possibly helped by the low quality of the copy I have). It also looks very decadent with huge black cars used for driving everywhere, an enormous silk bed in the centre of the mansion and expensive looking clothes draping the spermulites. Some scenes seem like something out of a David Lynch movie such as the one in the weird nightclub where this girl and a midget perform this bizarre jerking dance on stage to a nasty disco-funk bassline while shouting out religious slogans. There are other good bits as well but it's also incredibly silly and I have to admit that I did laugh out loud a number of times at really cheesey jokes. I think that happens because the surreal bits suck you in (no pun intended) and just as you've forgotten what film you're watching someone makes a crude innuendo that seems totally out of place. In a way though I wish that they had missed out the humour and just went for a no holds barred slice of stylised and lovely looking weirdness.
I guess it doesn't hurt any that the girls really are gorgeous.....

http://www.abandomoviez.net/db/foto/db_7549.jpg

http://www.girlsgunsandghouls.com/spermula2.gif

It kind of reminded me of Liquid Sky a bit.

Last edited:

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
I have no thoughts on the decapitation scene, Rich. The film's probably worth viewing a few times to grasp any coherent concepts within, but I only had it on hire. Didn't the writer stumble around for an answer when asked the same question? Presumably he had something in mind when coming up with the idea but I recall his explaination amounting to little more than 'Oh, getting the viewer's attention'. That and the possibility that it was simply a gratuitous homage to the Bunuel/Dali eye-slicing scene.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I have no thoughts on the decapitation scene, Rich. The film's probably worth viewing a few times to grasp any coherent concepts within, but I only had it on hire. Didn't the writer stumble around for an answer when asked the same question?"
I can't remember to be honest, I thought that it was something that the writer or director said that made me think it was in the guy's imagination. That then implies that he is being investigated and punished (if he is indeed being investigated and punished) for a thought-crime. Personally though, I would prefer it if he really did cut off the bloke's head and sew it back on with no permanent damage done.

jenks

thread death
I finally got round to seeing the Maysles Brothers' Grey Gardens this weekend - not sure if it has been mentioned anywhere on this thread.

Essentially a documentary of two women living in this rundown house, they are distant relations of Jackie O and spend their lives bickering and yet coming out with the most beautiful lines. I think a musical may well have been made about it as well - I came across the film through a Rufus Wainwright song.

I am sure many on here know a darn sight more about it than me - a bit like turing up on the music thread and mentioning that i have heard of this brilliant new artist called 'Burial':eek:

anyway, i would unreservedly recommend it