pretentiously inappropriate names for bars/ restaurants etc.

D7_bohs

Prompted by the appearance of a coffee bar in Rathmines - a Dublin inner southside suburb (Camden would be its London equivalent) - called Kafka's; you know the guy who wrote the Hunger Artist. Any more?

Melchior

Taking History Too Far
I always thought that Pravda was a pretty stupid name for a business lunch place in Wellington (NZ)

don_quixote

Trent End
there's a bar in leicester called mobius, which i recognised as mathematical, although of course that's möbius, and hence i guess i can only be named after a planet in sonic the hedgehog, this or rather insensitively, this

John Doe

There's a pub on the corner of Wood Lane and Shepherd's Bush Green which was a cavernous old grotty boozer that got spruced up and renamed The Defector's Weld. I mean, who's defecting - and why are they welding?

'S'all wrong...

swears

preppy-kei
Talk about insensitive:

hitler_disco.jpg

ouch.

sherief

Generic Human
There's a place i visited in Houston, TX (yeeha...) called "The Proletariat"- didn't really notice anything other than the name, but better than totally put on nonsense. Also went to a place in Cambridge, MA called "The People's Republic"- that was much cooler

nomos

Administrator
We had a Coffee Revoultion or something like that in Ottawa with a giant Che on the wall. Che having fought and died to expand the global market for premium blend coffees.

And I think that in one of those package resorts in Jamaica there's a restaurant called Pastafari. That's pretty classy too.

zhao

there are no accidents
looks like either Korea or Korea-Town somewhere.

in Venice, CA there is a "Mao's Kitchen". which is just as bad as this Hitler Bar (except it's not, for a variety of fucked up geo-historical reasons)

zhao

there are no accidents
and I wonder what kind of techno they play in the Hitler bar... Ramstein remixes? Kompakt? Surgeon? most likely progressive trance.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
confucius said:
looks like either Korea or Korea-Town somewhere.
Googling "hitler techno bar" came back with Pusan, South Korea.

This write up of the situation and subsequent change of name is kinda interesting.
http://www.pusanweb.com/feature/hitlerbar/
Someone (think it's John Ralston Saul?) writes about how Napoleon was a fucked up asshole who was a shit military leader too, but how he's at worst viewed in a fairly neutral fashion when discussed now. I find that interesting, wrt what the owner says about Alexander the Great.

confucius said:
in Venice, CA there is a "Mao's Kitchen". which is just as bad as this Hitler Bar (except it's not, for a variety of fucked up geo-historical reasons)
In Melbourne, VIC there's a bar called Double Happiness that's covered in Mao propaganda posters. Aesthetically I have to say I love the place, but every time I went there I ended up having a conversation about why this was OK and a Hitler (or Stalin) place wouldn't be. My woeful lack of history didn't really help any of these chats, but hey... something made me uneasy about it.

Last edited:

John Doe

On the Mao theme, there's a basic noodle bar place just by Notting Hill Gate that grandly titles itself 'New Culture Revolution'. I mean, like, pretentious or what?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Revive!

In Byblos, Lebanon, there is a restaurant called "Loser's Pizza". I have a picture somewhere.

Sort of connected: in a shop in Istanbul, a T-shirt emblazoned with the timeless slogan "Fuck happens!".