Clothes

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Has anyone else ever been to that Prada store on Broadway (the Rem Koolhaas one)?

For a while my favorite thing to do was go there (the sales people are trained to be creepily obsequious, probably because they're on commission, too), make people wait on me, try a million things on, ask them what they thought I should pick, all the while thinking "haha, you people actually think I might buy something!!"

You can only do that for so long in one store until they get sick of you.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
sugeknight.JPG

p.s.
dig your Prada jape, Nom: would like to check that store out if only from the Koolhaas pov

swears

preppy-kei
I bought some imitation Rayban Wayfarers for twelve quid, then got them reglazed for fifteen quid with clear prescription lenses, so I have a pair of one-of-a-kind awesome nerd specs for twenty seven pounds. All my mates think I'm nuts, though.

nochexxx

harco pronting
I bought some imitation Rayban Wayfarers for twelve quid, then got them reglazed for fifteen quid with clear prescription lenses, so I have a pair of one-of-a-kind awesome nerd specs for twenty seven pounds. All my mates think I'm nuts, though.

sounds like a very reasonable idea to me. i'm all for personal style modification. if i only i could sew!

zhao

there are no accidents
any visvim fans? nakamura does the old classics/hypermodern construction (btw there is a book called 'the hypermodern wardrobe' that takes d&g to the runway) thing better than anyone, i think:

http://www.in-zine.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/visvim-lhamo-folk-001.JPG

never understood those kind of shoes (meaning the pre-pastiche style - what is it called?) must be great for some people but i personally would never go near them.

but yes i think po-mo deconstructive fashion is v. interesting. the passion of christ or whatever that line is called... don't know this nakemura person? only one i found is the pretty amazing digital artist at http://www.yugop.com/

takes d&g to the runway)

D&G needed to do a D&G line like, 10 years ago.

EDIT: found Hiroki Nakamura... i guess this line is only these kind of shoes?

Last edited:

nomadthethird

never understood those kind of shoes (meaning the pre-pastiche style - what is it called?) must be great for some people but i personally would never go near them.

but yes i think po-mo deconstructive fashion is v. interesting. the passion of christ or whatever that line is called... don't know this nakemura person? only one i found is the pretty amazing digital artist at http://www.yugop.com/

D&G needed to do a D&G line like, 10 years ago.

EDIT: found Hiroki Nakamura... i guess this line is only these kind of shoes?

Imitation of Christ...

Yeah I remember her.

nomadthethird

Yeah, I already have a proper pair of Wayfarers, but I turned a fake pair (well, not fake but the same style) into prescription glasses. I didn't want to drop 100 quid on shades again.

So does the prescription pair also have tinted lenses?

I just bought some clothes last night because everything is on sale.

I like bows.

(why do regular img tags not work for me?)

Last edited:

pajbre

visim does a whole range of clothes and backpacks, but the shoes are probably their most well-known item.

45rpm is a cool japanese label, nearly everything is hand-made out of the nicest materials possible, boiled denim, etc.

other labels of note: comme des garcons (who did a relatively--for them--cheap collection for h&m this past season), undercover, lanvin (alber elbaz is such a character), veronique branquinho, issey miyake (who has made 'cut-out' dresses from single pieces of cloth), yohji yamamoto.

it's a pity that cosmic wonder doesn't make better clothes. all the ephemera they produce (the books, art installations, cool shows with people serving artisinal lemonade while someone plays tuned percussion in the corner, designs by yoshimi from the boredoms) is so much more interesting than the actual pieces.

taschen put out an excellent book called 'embroidered textiles, a guide to traditional patterns' that has some amazing photos, and yann & hippolyte romain's 'tibet style' does a good job at detailing all the conjugations of ancient and modern that occur in the region.

nomadthethird

issey miyake (who has made 'cut-out' dresses from single pieces of cloth)

I loved his stuff in the late 90s, I have a friend who used to wear that IM perfume and I can hallucinate the scent even now.

I think I'm getting old... now I'd be more likely to pick Catherine Malandrino than Comme des Garcons or anything more out there.

swears

preppy-kei
So does the prescription pair also have tinted lenses?

No, the prescription pair are just regular, clear lenses so I can wear them anytime. Some guido knob at a club last night told me they were "bad glasses". I asked him how many jars of gel he had slathered onto his balding pate. He didn't like that.

nomadthethird

No, the prescription pair are just regular, clear lenses so I can wear them anytime. Some guido knob at a club last night told me they were "bad glasses". I asked him how many jars of gel he had slathered onto his balding pate. He didn't like that.

Ha! My brother always asked me if he's wearing too much of a "guid suit" before he'd go out.

swears

preppy-kei
Let's talk about "Guidos". Is the term a tad racist? Is it classist? (Most in the UK seem to be lower-middle class) It seems like it's an easy thing to identify, but a hard thing to define. Over here it's all about the baggy bootleg jeans with all kinds of fake-worn marks and rips, pointlessly dyed and sculpted hair, tons of fake tan, labels like GioGoi and Superdry, and damn-ugly over-design in general.

There is also what I call "the business-guido" with the baggy suit, the designer stubble, the huge knot in the awful shiny, xmas wrapping kipper tie, the hideous pointy shoes, the striped shirt...

Maybe I'm just bitter cuz these guys get laid more than I do.

nomadthethird

Oh boy guidos. In my mind it's a lot less offensive a term than "wop" or "guinnea" or "goomba", but it's still not exactly polite.

When I wear the "juicy couture" velour track suit my mom bought me I feel like a guida, but it's damn comfortable for lounging around. I try not to wear jewelry with it under any circumstances, though.

In the U.S. there are several different subspecies of guid. There's the New Jersey guid that's pretty well represented in the Sopranos. There's the upstate NY old school guidos who still wear double-breasted jackets, gold chains, big red ties, etc. There's the track suit guido, the mulleted dirty Jerz guido, the spiked hair tight diesel jeans metrosexual guido. There's the Gotti boys hip-hop guido.

Ever seen this site?

http://www.njguido.com/

http://www.njguido.com/Picture Pages/Picture Gallery Archives.htm

http://images.google.com/images?hl=...&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

Last edited:

nomadthethird

Maybe I'm just bitter cuz these guys get laid more than I do.

There are some sophisticated dressers. When I worked at MedReviews there was some kind of textiles business that we shared our floor with (in the garment district), which was owned by some guy who looked to be Sicilianu. Anyway, he was really well dressed and good looking, so I would flirt with him in the elevator, and he'd pick on me about needing to get a tan and taking some time to go to beach. Because having a tan is probably the most important thing if you are a guido.