Clothes

swears

preppy-kei
guido04.jpg

It's a weird mix of really butch and a half-arsed attempt to be a bit metro-sexual and feminine. Is it any coincedence that hipsters are going for a more asexual, twee look: all tight plaid shirts, nice jumpers or cardies skinny jeans, neat john-boy hair and nerd glasses? (At least some of them, you still get yr greasy, leathered meta-rocker guys like Justice of course).

vampireweekend.jpg

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
By "weird hair" do you mean big mutant 50s/Morrissey style quifs/short back and sides? Cuz we get a lot of that round here. I think it's a good look sometimes. Goes with Wayfarers perfect.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
By "weird hair" do you mean big mutant 50s/Morrissey style quifs/short back and sides? Cuz we get a lot of that round here. I think it's a good look sometimes. Goes with Wayfarers perfect.

Yeah, it's like that. If you could see Jen's hair under the hat it'd be better. She does a sort of close cut, almost shaved, in the back and then leaves a lot in weird pieces on the top to style it up in the front.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
I bought some imitation Rayban Wayfarers for twelve quid, then got them reglazed for fifteen quid with clear prescription lenses, so I have a pair of one-of-a-kind awesome nerd specs for twenty seven pounds. All my mates think I'm nuts, though.

aha. that is a look I sported back in the 80s. Original B&L Wayfarers (this is before they started printing Ray-Ban on the outside). Got the original glass taken out and had them changed for my prescription. Everyone thoughts I was nuts back then as well, so welcome to the geek squad.

Also - with the crunch and all, think I read somewhere that the thing is to buy proper stuff, clothes that are made to last (say Pringle) and not 60 quid sloppy trendy tees or shit that is so crap (Primark) that it cannot even be recycled.

I fell for that GDC@HM shit, got one sweater and the quality was typical crap H&M.

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
Oh boy guidos. In my mind it's a lot less offensive a term than "wop" or "guinnea" or "goomba", but it's still not exactly polite.

When I wear the "juicy couture" velour track suit my mom bought me I feel like a guida, but it's damn comfortable for lounging around. I try not to wear jewelry with it under any circumstances, though.

In the U.S. there are several different subspecies of guid. There's the New Jersey guid that's pretty well represented in the Sopranos. There's the upstate NY old school guidos who still wear double-breasted jackets, gold chains, big red ties, etc. There's the track suit guido, the mulleted dirty Jerz guido, the spiked hair tight diesel jeans metrosexual guido. There's the Gotti boys hip-hop guido.

Ever seen this site?

http://www.njguido.com/

http://www.njguido.com/Picture Pages/Picture Gallery Archives.htm

http://images.google.com/images?hl=...&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

in my part of boston (newton, aka "lake") it was "mushes"... (google it)...

nice guido breakdown... all of us who have lived thru it can define it... all others, step off....

want to see some guidowear? check out marc ecko's star wars gear... so sad... i mean, for a dude who was on the cutting edge of streetwear for a sec, this sucks so bad,,,

http://www.shopecko.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3054996&cp=2441351.3165999&view=all

pECKO1-4954177t181a.jpg

zhao

there are no accidents
guido is or has become a universal and diverse phenomenon as i can unmistakably identify members in every culture. german... indian...

mms

sometimes
Most hipsters where I live do a sort of futuristic hip-hop thing but with skinny jeans and such.

Or there's this style, the weird early 90s hybrid with plaid shirts and weird hair. My friend, hair dresser, and former upstairs neighbor in the look book:

http://nymag.com/fashion/lookbook/52009/

thats a funny look, marooned somewhere between the 80's the thompson twins, bananarama and madonna and the 90's, something like swingbeat/hip hop style, but not quite.
Yeah the kids in london rock the almost hip hop, or bright hooded top over cap, skinny jeans, trainers, the big giveaway that they're indie kids in disguise is the slight keeling over and the hoodie over hands like a cardigan though, ala 80's indie softies.

mms

sometimes
Let's talk about "Guidos". Is the term a tad racist? Is it classist? (Most in the UK seem to be lower-middle class) It seems like it's an easy thing to identify, but a hard thing to define. Over here it's all about the baggy bootleg jeans with all kinds of fake-worn marks and rips, pointlessly dyed and sculpted hair, tons of fake tan, labels like GioGoi and Superdry, and damn-ugly over-design in general.

There is also what I call "the business-guido" with the baggy suit, the designer stubble, the huge knot in the awful shiny, xmas wrapping kipper tie, the hideous pointy shoes, the striped shirt...

Maybe I'm just bitter cuz these guys get laid more than I do.

i've never heard this term used in the uk.
this sounds like your regular townie to me. Which in the uk means someone who doesn't ever leave the place they grew up in.
Streetwear has crept into the wardrobes of folk who in the 90's would wear calvin klein shirts and pants and aftershave etc..
the other label is bench, i guess these labels etc no longer have their skateboarding/surfing exclusivity, shops open in town centres etc, i noticed there was a superdry on the high street of my home town, and lots of ppl wearing it.
Fake tan is a massive thing in the uk, and sunbeds, women going out looking like oompah loompahs, how is that actually attractive?

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
i've never heard this term used in the uk.
this sounds like your regular townie to me.

Yeah, I suppose. But it's a useful term, because townie is sort of synonymous with "chav" which is a completely different thing, imo. And I can get away with using it because most of the people are of a similar background as me. ;)

the other label is bench, i guess these labels etc no longer have their skateboarding/surfing exclusivity,

First it's the skaters, then it's the studes then the guidos... Bench is guid as fuck now, haha.

mms

sometimes
Yeah, I suppose. But it's a useful term, because townie is sort of synonymous with "chav" which is a completely different thing, imo. And I can get away with using it because most of the people are of a similar background as me. ;)

First it's the skaters, then it's the studes then the guidos... Bench is guid as fuck now, haha.

dunno townies are just people who never left the place they were born, joined in unity by the fact that they do exactly the same shit every week and everyone knows what they do.

nochexxx

harco pronting

yep, for sure.

when i skating in the late 80's early 90's you could not find baggy trousers, so we would go to reject shops and buy jeans / pants with bigger wastelines then cut them off at the kneecaps.

we also used to drill holes in our wallets so you could attach a chain to it.

from the beginning these style's weren't originally designed to make a fashion statement but a way of solving problems we had with normal civilian wear.

we also used to cut basketball pumps and turn them into ankle length size.

then as skateboard companies became more lucrative they started manufacturing these styles proper.

mms

sometimes
yep skateboard style was the most utilitarian of all, lots of oversize workwear, almost parodical.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
my christmas presents this year mostly consisted of money, with instructions that if it was spent on anything other than new clothes there would be trouble

mms

sometimes
i had a terrible year for pressies
got a book on medieval cathedrals from my dad - (wtf)
and some weird irish shepherd jumper in joseph wool from my mum
it was natural wool undyed, so it looks brown and smells of sheep badly, horrible.
it's like some weird battle of ideologies, my dad wants me to be some sort of bible basher and my mum wants me to be a 19th century irish sheep herder/folk singer.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
most of those cathedrals probably don't have much in the way of heating, you could wear your new jumper as you tour them. the incense will mask the sheep smell too

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
45rpm is a cool japanese label, nearly everything is hand-made out of the nicest materials possible, boiled denim, etc.
good call on 45rpm. they have a way of transforming the most simple items into almost magical fetishes. i bought the wife a simple bandana embroidered with her initials (and the edges handstitched) and she said it is the best gift i ever bought her. all said, it was about $100 US, but i have to say it was worth it. dyed in natural indigo so that it has evolved over time---amazing to watch it cycle through from a deep almost black blue to the more mellow blue it is now, with hints of green and aqua. their stores are amazing too----the atmosphere is otherworldy, incense, running water, i can't describe it well (i am thinking of their SoHo store). i've got a pair of their suminando sorahiko jeans, the indigo-dyed warp threads are dipped in india ink to achieve a black superficial topcoat that (eventually) yields to the blue underneath. nearly bought the wife a scarf for christmas but did not. all that gear is too expensive for me these days but yeah... drool

oh and they will repair your jeans forever making them a really good value if you think about it....

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hmm, I quite like the idea of clothes that 'evolve' as you wear them, other than in the trivial way of just wearing out. I guess shoes do that as they sort of mould to the shape of your feet, though.