Clothes

Leo

gave up on the quest for handmade jeans, went instead with slim fit (not super skinny) 001's at uniqlo, usually $46 each, now on sale two for $46! can't beat that price, and they look very basic (ie, no fake worn spots, twiddly fake wrinkle bits, etc.) got two pairs last week, went back yesterday and got two more! i'm set for jeans for the next 10 years!! (as long as i don't put on a few inches...)

polystyle

Glad to hear you satisfied with Uniqlo Leo.
Tried to up them earlier , but it didn't go very far !
And the journey from Lang to Uni seems not so very far, both have their uses.
Haven't been in awhile ,
but they always came through with surprises and designs not seen elsewhere.

From the looks of all the pubcrawlers out last night ( and the wkends before too )
I'm guessing Green jeans will be in today !

Leo

uniqlo/topshop

Glad to hear you satisfied with Uniqlo Leo.
Tried to up them earlier , but it didn't go very far !...Haven't been in awhile ,
but they always came through with surprises and designs not seen elsewhere.

ah yes, polystyle, forgot about your previous comment about uniqlo. a nice addition to the nyc clothes buying scene, imho. cheap-ish but kinda cool, just have to steer clear of the too-tight trousers and other styles that are a little too much for a guy my age. and you have to act fast: in less than one week, the displays were totally changed, new stuff in and old stuff either gone or moved elsewhere. if you like it, buy it...particularly at a price like two pairs of jeans for $46.

btw, we have the first US topshop opening in soho in a few weeks, wonder what that will be like. my wife is a brit and loved coming back from uk visits with hip shoes and whatnot from topshop. now she has mixed emotions: it'll be more readily accessible, but now everyone in nyc will have access!!

craner

Beast of Burden
Glasses are quite important (I mean, if you wear them). I got a new pair on the weekend, and ever since people have been saying I look like Yves Saint Laurent! I am not making this up. Are big tortoiseshell frames so unacceptable? (I think not.) My life gets more ludicrous with each decision I make.

Me, yesterday:

yves-saint-laurent-thumb-400x400.jpg

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
Glasses are quite important (I mean, if you wear them). I got a new pair on the weekend, and ever since people have been saying I look like Yves Saint Laurent! I am not making this up. Are big tortoiseshell frames so unacceptable? (I think not.) My life gets more ludicrous with each decision I make.

Big, tortoiseshell frames are most acceptable! I love big glasses, I like to buy Rayban Wayfarer copies then get my clear prescription lenses put in.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Glasses are really important. I wear Gold and Wood, which was a deliberate power move after years of NHS ones. Big tortoiseshell ones are a total sex symbol look, I always think blokes who wear them are saying 'just you wait til I get them off'.

My belt buckle died - literally exploded - the other day. So now I'm having belt buckle problems. I don't wear jewellery so I figure - as it's the only piece of 'jewellery' I would wear - that I can save up and buy a great one. At the moment I'm on the silver Navajo gaudy gaudy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350148105441

but it does seem ridiculous to be saving up to spend that on a belt buckle when I can barely afford to eat.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
sm*rt c**s*l

What's an alright option for wearing in an office where a shirt is pretty much standard but a suit is too smart? I have an inbuilt prejudice against chinos...

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
i know you mentioned an aversion to chinos, but there are really such a wide variety out there. as long as they are plain front, and have a flattering cut, and aren't too light a tan, i don't think you can go wrong. button fly is a plus in my book, but not necessary. i like them cuffed, though i would like a cropped pair.

check out these navy chinos from Our Legacy

also, i am rather fond of Rag & Bone trousers (the mcqueen pant in particular)
and Engineered Garments cinch-back trousers

swears

preppy-kei
I bought some these chinos on a whim, thinking they'd look all preppy and collegiate...
but they don't go with anything except perhaps a white shirt.

image1xl.jpg

And they really don't go with the black shirt and shoes the guy is wearing in the pic.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
I bought some these chinos on a whim, thinking they'd look all preppy and collegiate...
but they don't go with anything except perhaps a white shirt.

image1xl.jpg

And they really don't go with the black shirt and shoes the guy is wearing in the pic.

Tight Ralph Lauren polo shirt in a really bright color. They're kind of Kanye West pre-early 90s retro era.

Sloane, I am obsessed with the Navajos, especially their fabrics...I have a friend out west who hangs out with bunch of old Navajo ranchers in death valley...

swears

preppy-kei
Yeah, that could work. A have a few polos but they're in dark colours, see if I can grab a cheap bright one.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Tight Ralph Lauren polo shirt in a really bright color. They're kind of Kanye West pre-early 90s retro era.

Sloane, I am obsessed with the Navajos, especially their fabrics...I have a friend out west who hangs out with bunch of old Navajo ranchers in death valley...

Good call on the polo shirt, he does some great colours.

Could you ask your friend if they know anyone who makes sterling silver buckles with turquoise? I'm going to get one and obviously it'd be nicer to have a connection to someone who's made one. I'm well into that southwest bolo/belt combination, I couldn't wear a bolo but it's pretty much the only example of male jewellery I can find that's kinda solely 'male'. Rings and chains are unisex, I quite like the idea of an exclusively 'male' adornment, if you get what I mean. It's rare I think in western cultures.

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
What's an alright option for wearing in an office where a shirt is pretty much standard but a suit is too smart? I have an inbuilt prejudice against chinos...

flat-fronted Farah slacks maybe? Can't find a picture anywhere, but they have some nice ones in dark blue with slanted pockets and a modern cut.

andrewdigits

andrew.digits
The other day I purchased a pair of beautiful white trousers. Now, most of the new items I buy seem to 'link up', as in; I've got a pair of shoes/shirt/tie that goes well with whatever I'm buying already. And I can see it in my minds eye.

But I'm stumped, I'd planned to wear it with a navy blazer, but what colour shirt should I be going for, and black or brown shoes? Surely brown?

alex

Do not read this.
big grey nike tracky bottoms & loud Nike creps are as standard really.

Skinny jeans (not like halfway skinny, they are okay, im talking about the dicks that wear those SKIN TIGHT 1's) are like the worst thing ever invented....they are Actually shameful..

no plimpsoles, you arent doing P.E. in primary school any longer...

no ugg's, or croc shoes, man up for fucks sake...

badboy tee's that tell heads to go suck there mum all the way!!!

p.s loving this thread!

swears

preppy-kei
Skinny jeans (not like halfway skinny, they are okay, im talking about the dicks that wear those SKIN TIGHT 1's) are like the worst thing ever invented....they are Actually shameful..

Mostly I just wear slim fitting skinny jeans/suit trousers that aren't too tight. (I'm a 28 inch waisted scrawn so it's actually hard to find some that are like that on me really) But I do have one black pair that are almost like tights. Half the fun of wearing them is knowing that they wind people up, haha. I like to wear them with a baggy white t-shirt.

STN

sou'wester
I like plain t-shirts that have a seam going diagonally from collar to armpit (i.e. the sleeves were separate and have been sewn on, but are still the same colour) is there a name for these? And where can one be sure of finding them? I tend to have better luck with this in America for some reason...