Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Does anyone know if you can buy gueuze in London for a decent price (had it in a couple of belgian bars, but haven't founda ny shops to buy it in yet)?
Actually, I was going to ask the more general question of whether there are any really good places in london to buy bottled beer generally? Ideally north but anywhere would do. Preferrably with a decent range of continental stuff. Good general knowledge anyway, but I'd also like to get something a bit interesting for my girlfriend's parents.

luka

its south of the river but the stall in borough market has a nice selection. they have geueze, two or three varieites.

don_quixote

Trent End
e7624ca598199c9b1123eb7cf9e0cd8e_12788.jpeg

no image of the bottle, i should have taken a photo, but...

this beer is one of the best i have ever ever drunk. WOW.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I drank a bottle of Hook Norton Double Stout last night. OH MY GOD that stuff is the shizzle. Bottle-conditioned so you get a really good foamy (not fizzy) head and a voluptuous mouthfeel (oo-er!), with none of that slightly flat/dead taste you usually get even with the better pasteurised ales. Nose was biscuity and floral, the taste pleasantly bitter with tons of the classic wholemeal-toast flavour you get with a good stout, balanced by a certain chocolately/malty sweetness that you tend not to get with a really dry trad London stout.

The tasting notes on the bottle described the beer's appearance simply as "BLACK!"...

Hxs1TBsQ4hm1c10ku8qBiT8to1_400.png

:D

malcolm

V.delayed response, but The Grove in Hudds is well worth the effort (10 mins from station, over the ring road from the uni) though I'm not sure it's a tt pub. However it always has a fine selection of pristinely looked after beer.

Otherwise I'd recommend a trip out our way, if you are around leeds for a w/e- good beer abounds. Skipton brewery's golden pippen tastes REALLY good at the moment. Plus, not had the chance to check this new brewery out yet, despite locality:
http://www.ilkleybrewery.co.uk/

i've always wanted to go on a timmy taylors crawl but i'm the only person in my group of friends that drinks ale! not that i live that far, could go on my me tod seen as i'm only in leeds... but i can drink it from the bottle or from the pump at my local :)

right now i'm drinking some

Isle of Arran

my mum brought my 3 bottles back from the highland games just gone this weekend! nice one mother!

the pale was ok, nothing outstanding but the blonde is really nice. yet to try the dark, i'm sure i will in a couple of hours:cool:

you

I tried that the other day, too strong for me, ended up tipping it away.

I ought to get it again and chill it and give it a chance.

I love guinness but want something different and not Murphy's.

Black Cullin is awesome, so is Red Cullin...and Skye is a fantastic corner of the world..

you

two good beers recently.

1 - St Peters Organic Best Bitter
2 - Duchy Originals Organic Old Ruby Ale

both top quality albeit not quite like a guinness.....

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Last weekend, went back to the Victoria in Beeston. Winners this time were Hambleton's Nightmare - rich dark porter with strong overtones of chocolate and coffee - and Blue Monkey's Evolution - a perfectly balanced summer ale with just a hint of citrus.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Last weekend, went back to the Victoria in Beeston. Winners this time were Hambleton's Nightmare - rich dark porter with strong overtones of chocolate and coffee - and Blue Monkey's Evolution - a perfectly balanced summer ale with just a hint of citrus.

Gotta love pubs that have not just good beers but a nice complementary selection, i.e. pale/dark, mild/bitter, light/strong. Sometimes you walk into a pub and can tell they're really trying, because they've got three or four well-kept cask beers on, but they're all basically similar-tasting mid-brown 4-ish% bitters, which almost defeats the point of having more than one. Like bars that have draught Stella, and draught Kroney, and draught Grolsch, and draught Stripe...as if any fucker can actually tell the difference*.

*hyperbole**

**but not by much

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Nah, I said "well-kept", remember? ;)

Actually Sheps do a passable stout but you don't see it all that often...maybe they're better in Kent but the two or three SN houses I've been to in London have been a bit so-so.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
liking Slothrop's station report.

station pubs or bars w a good card?
(i'm going to ignore decent boozers that may be very near a station, such as the Bree Louise or Doric Arch near Euston's front door, or the Bulls Head opposite Manchester Piccadilly, to concentrate on ones in the actual station, as obviously they're nearly always shit.)

let's see.

Sheffield Tap. Pete Brown writes
It combines the grandeur and pride of a classic Victorian architecture, the quiet beer worship of a Belgian cafe and the snug intimacy of a British boozer. Eight Thornbridge Beers on tap, hundreds of bottles from around the world in the fridge, quality Czech lagers, the works.

Stalybridge Buffet Bar. (oven bottom muffins and builder's tea mugs of black peas, doused in vinegar, among the scran offerings.)

both the station pubs inside Huddersfield have a good beer rep, i've only been in one and it was very good (Head of Steam - 10 hand pumps i think).

i've been in the Head of Steams in Newcastle and Liverpool Lime Street (only once each time, tbf), and they were nothing to write home about actually. the Newcastle one is quite smart, tall ceilings, relatively bland and modern, but at least it's light and airy.

those are the only ones jumping out at me, anyone?

scottdisco

rip this joint please
oh i'm told Manchester's Marble Brewery beers will be behind the bar at the rather nice Cask, Pimlico (FAP write-up).

Marble do a great wide range of stouts, porters, light beers, bitters, proper IPAs, more unusual flavours and so on, probably one of the better Manc brewers. that said, i must admit, their biggest sellers are about their least remarkable, the Manchester bitter for instance (which is perfectly OK, but hardly a world beater).

obviously Cask have a great card of beers from all over, but just repping my ends.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
good beers IMO:

Marble Pint. ludicrously flavorful for 3.9%.

Lagonda is the name of the Marble IPA i like, but they may do others for all i know. they do an awful lot of specials.

the Arran brews intrigue having never had any; Skye brewery is good stuff as a rule.

Porterhouse Plain.

Bell's Oberon, lovely summer ale from Michigan.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That's great stuff, Scott. :)

On a Manc beer tip, what do you make of the Phoenix brewery? (Pardon my Southerner's geography; I think they may be based in 'Greater Manchester' rather than the city proper.) When I worked in the London Head Of Steam (now the Doric Arch) it was one of my favourite breweries - some of the most incredibly fragrant and aromatic beers I've ever tasted, or in fact smelled. Seriously, if I were to walk past a girl in the street wearing a scent reminiscent of Phoenix's Arizona or White Hurricane, I think I'd be head-over-heels.

When we got put one of their beers on, we'd play guess-the-brewery before putting the pump clip on...Phoenix and Caledonian were two I could usually get just from the scent, before even tasting the stuff. Ah, happy days.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
not at all T :D

Phoenix are definitely one of the top breweries from round here, some beers so deliciously dry and hoppy it's unbelievable.
Arizona is an old stalwart. they make an absurd amount of beers, they seem to be a festival favourite.

the local CAMRA recently had a bit of a (polite) go at the four main brewers, our family brewers, Robinson's; Hydes; Lees; and Holts (ie the Manc Fuller's and Youngs as it were).

the virtue of these four, respectively, is

they do great milds and bitters, some decent seasonals, and the legendary Old Tom come winter (Robinson's allow about 20-odd approved pubs to take it on gravity each winter, all in the Stockport proper area, otherwise it's bottles or normal dispense i believe);
some good milds, bitters, and some decent seasonals;
some good bitters, a splendid mild, some decent seasonals, the potent Moonraker (at 7.5 one percent weaker than Old Tom), and the wonderful Harvest Ale (an 11.5% barleywine, aged in calvados, port and single malt casks IIRC - i was in a beer bar in the States once and the menu had loads of different years listed like wine vintages, which i have to say is far more reverential treatment than i've ever seen in its home town);
and decent and cheap bitters and milds, and some good bottles.

but none of them are anywhere near as inventive as the smaller micros, generally, (of which there's about 20 odd in Greater Mcr, nipping at heels), but obviously easier to take risks when you're smaller, i guess.

whilst i'm banging the Manc drum: Dunham Massey are getting great notices at beer festivals up and down the land at the minute: their Milk Stout is amazing. the Big Tree bitter is very good at what it does.

Leyden, one of the Bury area micros, do a black pudding mild which is supposed to be revelatory, but i've yet to sample it.

the Stockport micro 3 Rivers have a powerful Old Disreputable, 5.2, good winter beer, if you see it on pumps in coming months. their Manchester IPA is very good.

finally, if you ever visit Mcr city centre and by mistake end up in the Arndale centre, then the food court and market section at the northern, Northern Quarter side (by far the most interesting part about what is otherwise largely another identikit mall), boasts, among other things, a charming little bar run by local micro Boggart Hole Clough, w their own beers and some fine guests.

very nice to have a livener by the windows as you watch the trams and people carry by on the high street outside.
brief review here (pretty sure it's expanded its pump range since this review, but ain't been myself for about a year so not sure).