petergunn

plywood violin
2. Customers would be violent if that they didnt have the choice of tennents stella carlsburg carling all at the same bar

i imagine most people who drink the above beers could give 2 shits whether it's on tap or not, so you could easily carry all of the above stuff in bottles to appease the lager louts...

Last edited:

petergunn

plywood violin
Ah rite, I'd imagined temperatures already well into the 30s and couldn't really see a slightly syrupy 6% bitter going down all that well...then again, Jamaicans love their Dragon Stout and then there's that Nigerian Export Guinness, they're both really strong and thick. It's good when people in tropical climates don't just do the obvious thing and drink super-chilled lager (like most people in this country do, even at this time of year ffs).

it's about 75 degrees F right now at 4am in NYC and I am drinking Murphy's and it is going down smooth...

Dragon Stout does have an almost syrupy taste to it, but it's not really that thick... at least for a stout... regardless, you only notice that high alcohol sweetness for the first 4-5 sips... been drinking a bit lately as a deli near my house sells it pretty cheap...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
i imagine most people who drink the above beers could give 2 shits whether it's on tap or not, so you could easily carry all of the above stuff in bottles to appease the lager louts...
In my experience, seriously dedicated real ale pubs (rather than normal pubs that do an impressive selection of ales) tend to be a bit out of the way and to be sought out by people who are specifically looking for real ale.

I did once hear someone in my old local (the Victoria at Beeston) moaning that they didn't have Budweiser and he had to drink some knockoff shite called Budvar instead, but that was an isolated incident...

And there's a cracking pub in the Peak District called the Three Stags Heads at Wardlow Mires, which is full on Slaughtered Lamb business, and has a printed out sign next to the bar saying "please do not ask for draught lager as a punch in the gob often offends." Right next to the one saying "if there's a tourist season, how come we can't shoot them?"

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
it's about 75 degrees F right now at 4am in NYC and I am drinking Murphy's and it is going down smooth...

Dragon Stout does have an almost syrupy taste to it, but it's not really that thick... at least for a stout... regardless, you only notice that high alcohol sweetness for the first 4-5 sips... been drinking a bit lately as a deli near my house sells it pretty cheap...

Funny you should say that, it's been up to about 90 over the last couple of days (bit cooler today though) and on Sunday, after a 'few' beers with some fellow Dissensians in north London, what did I buy on the way home? Two bottles of Dragon stout...

Edit: actually it was Nigerian Guinness, which is less sweet but somehow even...moreso.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

I find there's very little difference between bottled and draught lager since it's a pasteurised product anyway*. Ale's a different thing because it has live yeast in it, which (most of the time) you don't get in the bottled version. Bottle-conditioned beers are great, I wish more breweries did them.

*Though having said that, draught Pilsner Urquell is one of my favourite beers full stop, never mind favourite lagers.

luka

coopers is bottle conditioned. i find the big globs of yeast infection a bit icky but its the only decent beer in aus. i lik the stout best.

don_quixote

Trent End
i had sierra nevada pale ale for the first time this weekend. i realise it's not that obscure. i realise they do it in tescos. but it is bloody fantastic.

nevada-pale-ale-ss.jpg

petergunn

plywood violin
i had sierra nevada pale ale for the first time this weekend. i realise it's not that obscure. i realise they do it in tescos. but it is bloody fantastic.

nevada-pale-ale-ss.jpg

i don't want to feel like i go into every thread and just piss all over people, but man, sierra nevada?

it's sorta the default american IPA... i used to love it in my teens... now, the hoppiness of it bothers me... the older i get, the more i drastically prefer english style IPA's than American ones, which are just waaaaaaaay too hop heavy for me... i haven't had a pint of Greene King IPA for years, but i'd be curious if i still liked it as much as i used to...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ha, it's funny how different people like different things - most ale nerds in this country (me included) consider GK IPA to be pretty bland. There was actually a bit of an outcry when it won silver in the Bitter category at the GB Beer Festival a few years ago.

I'd take Sierra Nevada any day. Although I'd take Burton Bridge Empire IPA over SN...although it's 7.5%...

Burton+Empire+Pale+Ale.JPG

(Gotta love the label, right? :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
I quite like SN - it's cheaper than Stella in most American bars I think, which goes to show. The hoppiness of lots of American beers is only now really becoming fashionable over here, thanks I think to the brewery who's name escapes me who make Punk IPA and other nice but horribly named beers.

Greene King, like London Pride, is a decent beer that suffers from often being the only ale in non-ale pubs and is thus often badly kept, but I had a pint in the George V in King's X the other day (was very suprised to find it on there) and it was goooood.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Greene King, like London Pride, is a decent beer that suffers from often being the only ale in non-ale pubs and is thus often badly kept, but I had a pint in the George V in King's X the other day (was very suprised to find it on there) and it was goooood.

This is probably true. The tastings for awards at beer festivals are done blind, after all, so it was probably a nice fresh cask straight from the brewery being tasted in tip-top condition. It's been pretty meh every time I've drunk it, though. Also I'm quite prejudiced against GK generally because of their aggressive habit of taking over other breweries (Abbot Ale a shadow of its former self, for instance) and buying up freehouses.

I know what you mean about London Pride, it's often the default real ale in a pub that can't really be bothered but now and then you get a pint that's actually fantastic.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
Just a quick aside from beer talk to mark my sincere appreciation of STN's John Cowper Powys avatar. Hats off.

don_quixote

Trent End
i like hop heavy. punk ipa is hop heavy to the max.

put pedigree in the london pride bracket too. a pub round near me has landlord as well which i think is fairly common but maybe i'm wrong.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Landlord used to be a relative rarity in the south but then blew up about 10 years ago. I mean, it deserved to, it's gorgeous, but I also recall Madonna saying it was her favourite beer (OK, you're an Anglophile, we get it Madge!).

Some people have grumbled about it declining in quality since it became more widely available, but I haven't noticed this. Still generally pretty good whenever I have it, which admittedly is less often since it became so widespread.

you

I had the nigerian foreign export guinness and dragon stout last night - lovely stouts, very smooth and heady.... massive carbon footprint mind....