Minimal house anthems

psherburne

yeah, that 12" is really something -- i prefer the petre track, based on initial listens. petre's upcoming doublepack on cadenza is really effing bonkers....

dogger

Sweet Virginia
yeah, that 12" is really something -- i prefer the petre track, based on initial listens. petre's upcoming doublepack on cadenza is really effing bonkers....

[licks lips]

there was a great article on the bucharest scene in the most recent issue of groove...one of the dj's talked about how he and his friends used to tape the 20 second soundclips of techno tracks from the tv, and then painstakingly splice them together to create mixes...inspiring stuff!

frynia

yes Fabric is a shithole but since it's open later on the Villalobos nights, you get a much longer Ben Sherman free window towards closing (4 onwards the twats leave in droves)

dHarry

Is The Field considered minimal, and does anyone else love From Here We Go Sublime? He's a bit of a one-trick pony, but it's a great trick, like Superpitcher's MFA's The Difference It Makes remix or Stardust's Music Sounds Better, just endless blissed-out sample-texturology extended for as long as you can take them. It would be interesting if he went further out in a Villalobos direction viz-a-viz 20 min. minute tracks. I like the almost punk way he just lets the tracks rattle along powered by nothing but their gorgeous sounds, unlike say Stephan Bodzin's or Isolee's fussy micro-edits and switch-ups and -downs (which I also love btw). Often it's as simple as "loop sample-texture, followed by 4/4 kick and low-end throb, add a hi-hat after 3 mins., add a snare after 4, rinse and repeat". It veers off a little in the two directions of trancey-cheese and psychedelic miasma, which provides just enough variation. (That Lionel Ritchie revelation fade-out to "A Paw In My Face" can get a little annoying though, after the initial surprise, like hearing the same joke over and over.)

Does anyone like the idea of a bliss-tech-house mix, full of unbearably pleasurable things like The Field, Superpitcher's MFA's The Difference It Makes remix, Daft Punk's Veridis Quo, Orbital's Halcyon & on, Aphex Twin's Xtal, Basic Channel, Isolee's Beau Mot Plage - like drowning in honey in 4/4 time... Any other suggestions? Too sickly perhaps?

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
i think i'd find that mix a little much, i really think the beauty of those tracks comes out best in the context of otherwise stark dj sets

another i'd add is probably Booka Shade - In White Rooms, the moment when the lead synth splits and opens up gets me shivering every time

just heard Samim - Heater, one of the most jokes techno tunes i've heard! proper push the roof off silly party business, feeling it a lot. his RA Podcast looks really really good too

Chris

fractured oscillations
Does anyone like the idea of a bliss-tech-house mix, full of unbearably pleasurable things like The Field, Superpitcher's MFA's The Difference It Makes remix, Daft Punk's Veridis Quo, Orbital's Halcyon & on, Aphex Twin's Xtal, Basic Channel, Isolee's Beau Mot Plage - like drowning in honey in 4/4 time... Any other suggestions? Too sickly perhaps?

I like this idea. Lots. Sometimes I make mixes just based around this vibe. Techno and house with a cosmic or vaguely wistful feel. Tracks that have a touch of melancholy yet are coldly uplifting at the same time. Or techno that gets so alien that it starts to feel post-technological and more cerebral... vague, indecipherable emotions suggested on the horizon.

A mix like this might have to be pulled off with a little restraint tho, too much whimsy and emotional data condensed together might be a bit much... it'd probably have to build in a subtle way so gradually you wouldn't notice, until it's soaring through space or spilling over in waves...

dogger

Sweet Virginia
the samim ra podcast is off the scale. just absolutely insane. I hope he comes somewhere near me soon.

yeah it's fantastic - a genuinely surprising selection of tracks...i didn't expect to hear "the sun can't compare" and "congo man" in the same mix, but he pulls it off!

that "heater" track of his with the accordion is just out on get physical...set to be massive this summer i suspect.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

Sounds amazing. Other suggestions:

Heiko Voss - I Think About You
DNTEL - Dream of Evan and Chan (Superpitcher remix) (bit more song-focused for obvious reasons, but gorgeous)
Braxe/Falke remix of Shakedown's 'At Night'

Lichen

Lovely idea. But for gawds sake leave Halcyon out; it's drippy, not blissy

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Sounds amazing. Other suggestions:

Heiko Voss - I Think About You
DNTEL - Dream of Evan and Chan (Superpitcher remix) (bit more song-focused for obvious reasons, but gorgeous)
Braxe/Falke remix of Shakedown's 'At Night'

Sun Electric - Beauty O'Locco

Alter Ego - Soul Free (in fact pretty much anything off the first Alter Ego album)

Matrix - Equator Music

Dave Angel - The Deep

Arthur Russel - In The Light Of The Miracle

elgato

I just dont know
just general anthems - Petre Inspirescu - SAKADAT

jaw dropping

this one is so sick! so funky, and so original. it reminds me why i rate the scene so much

whats the deal, did it get released already? the internet trail seems confusing... i guess it didnt really reach the UK yet or something?

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
the only place i've found it on the web is on a japanese record shop. I heard ricaro play it out at fabric, just found out what it was. The guy's romanian...seems like the romanian scene must be pretty good.

elgato

I just dont know
on one page juno says it came out on 31 July, on another it says its coming on the 6th... but nothing comes up from searching the site

weird

well whatever, its getting bought on sight

so he's got stuff coming on Cadenza?

Last edited:

childrentalking

that record was on Juno earlier in the week. He does have something coming out on Cadenza. The three Romanians (Raresh, Pedro (aka Petre) and Rhadoo) make an amazing DJ team. lots of long, long sets out there to dl, they have some incredible (old) records. hope someone wises up and brings them over to the UK soon. this one's good (obviously I haven't listened to all of it but I can recommend part 3).

Part 1
http://rapidshare.com/files/3347338...ession_bucharest__romania_-dat-05-19-2007.mp3

Part 2
http://rapidshare.com/files/3347483...ession_bucharest__romania_-dat-05-19-2007.mp3

Part 3
http://rapidshare.com/files/3347823...ession_bucharest__romania_-dat-05-19-2007.mp3

Part 4
http://rapidshare.com/files/3348008...ession_bucharest__romania_-dat-05-19-2007.mp3

Part 5
http://rapidshare.com/files/3348178...ession_bucharest__romania_-dat-05-19-2007.mp3

Part 6
http://rapidshare.com/files/3348036...ession_bucharest__romania_-dat-05-19-2007.mp3

Last edited: