Minimal house anthems

leamas

Had top minimal action last weekend in Berlin. Heard Samim play Heater at Watergate - big one for the summer though I'm more into the idea of it than the tune itself.

Then to bar 25 for the minus party on Sunday. That place needs to be seen to be believed. Was still going well into Tuesday.

There's a new edit of Bam Bam 'Where's Your Child' which everyone's playing. Doesn't beat the original but has a cool spaced out breakdown. Also heard Troy Pierce drop 'Coma Couch Surfing' by Konrad Black off the Spaceships and Pings Ep (Items and Things), and was reminded how good it is.

dogger

Sweet Virginia
Had top minimal action last weekend in Berlin. Heard Samim play Heater at Watergate - big one for the summer though I'm more into the idea of it than the tune itself.

Then to bar 25 for the minus party on Sunday. That place needs to be seen to be believed. Was still going well into Tuesday.

There's a new edit of Bam Bam 'Where's Your Child' which everyone's playing. Doesn't beat the original but has a cool spaced out breakdown. Also heard Troy Pierce drop 'Coma Couch Surfing' by Konrad Black off the Spaceships and Pings Ep (Items and Things), and was reminded how good it is.

yeah bar 25 is quite something. coincidentally, heard magda playing that konrad black tune at the t bar on thursday and thought exactly the same thing...

tune i.d. please: the one being caned at secret sundaze yesterday (in case anyone was there) with the hunting horns coming in and out of the mix. if you've heard it you'll know the one i mean...re: this track and "heater" and the italoboyz track with the opera sample, it's interesting how fizheuer has paved the way for a school of tracks with improbable instrumental/vocal motifs, which are designed to cause consternation on the dancefloor. of course if everyone starts doing this their effect will quickly diminish...

dogger

Sweet Virginia

yeah bar 25 is quite something. coincidentally, heard magda playing that konrad black tune at the t bar on thursday and thought exactly the same thing...

tune i.d. please: the one being caned at secret sundaze yesterday (in case anyone was there) with the hunting horns coming in and out of the mix. if you've heard it you'll know the one i mean...re: this track and "heater" and the italoboyz track with the opera sample, it's interesting how fizheuer has paved the way for a school of tracks with improbable instrumental/vocal motifs, which are designed to cause consternation on the dancefloor. of course if everyone starts doing this their effect will quickly diminish...

S

simon silverdollar

the horn track: not the smith and hack remix of herbert's 'moving like a train', may be?

viktorvaughn

I really need to marshal some mates for a ridiculous weekend in Berlin. Have heard so much about the incredible nightspots and clubbing there.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
the thing that interests me about these clubs that go on all hours is who the fuck works in them exactly? the whole thing is very strange.

KernKätzchen

the thing that interests me about these clubs that go on all hours is who the fuck works in them exactly? the whole thing is very strange.

Dunno how it works for other Berlin clubs (cheap Polish labour?), but Bar 25 is more like a commune, so the staff all live on site round the back of the bar in these wooden summer houses and gypsy caravans. I doubt they have their working hours written into their contract. I doubt they even have a contract.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Re other Berlin clubs, I met a British guy who worked at Watergate (presumably all night). He was a night owl anyway (due to clubs and drugs), so it didn't seem to bother him. Got to meet lots of people thru it too, apparently.

Tim F

Horns are big at the moment - see also the foghorn in Ame's "Enoi" and the horns in Solomun and Stimming's "Feuervogel".

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
Dunno how it works for other Berlin clubs (cheap Polish labour?), but Bar 25 is more like a commune, so the staff all live on site round the back of the bar in these wooden summer houses and gypsy caravans. I doubt they have their working hours written into their contract. I doubt they even have a contract.

that sounds like my kind of job. i think bar 25 is closing down though, sure i read it somewhere.

KernKätzchen

that sounds like my kind of job. i think bar 25 is closing down though, sure i read it somewhere.

Yeah. There was a feature on Berlin beaches in the Guardian a few weeks ago that mentioned it.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2007/jul/14/saturday.berlin
Went to Bar 25 a couple of months ago and one of the guys who worked (and lived) there told us that developers wanted to move in. Rising land prices and all that. It's built on a piece of 'prime real estate'. Sad.

tox

Factory Girl

And there I was thinking a Sunday all-dayer in the West Midland's sunshine was hardcore, haha.

Saw Sebo K and a selection of Mobilee djs drop some crisp minimal, not one tune of which I knew but it all sounded very suitable for the summer.

Ben Klock's RA podcast is a bit nice isn't it?

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
yeh the klock one is good. got to be in the right mood for the harder stuff but when you are it does hit the nail on the head.....rather hard.

KernKätzchen

yeh the klock one is good. got to be in the right mood for the harder stuff but when you are it does hit the nail on the head.....rather hard.

Seconded. There have been some amazing RA podcasts recently. The Samim one (did someone mention that upthread?) is fantastic, as is the Efdemin from a month or so back.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
yeh both of those are amazing, as is the joris voorn one.
new one just out from hector. not heard of him i have to say, but will download.

turtles

in the sea

sebbo - beirut boogie? definitely gets my award for most distinctive use of horns in a minimal track 2007

Last edited: