jenks

thread death
Drivers who cannot use a box junction. I knew the rules when I was 7 cos of films like this:

Maybe i should just say drivers in general - roundabouts, zebra crossings, opening tehir doors, just stopping in the middle of the street, stopping to give way without fist checking to see who is behind them, overtaking on corners, taking up the designated bike space at traffic lights...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
"Paddy's Day" (in countries outside Ireland, at least) and everything to do with it.

17431.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Got this email from a cousin of mine who's studying design:

Hello!

Please help me and my fellow course mates raise money to go to New Designers at the Business Design Centre in June.

"New Designers is the UK’s most important graduate exhibition. Taking place over two weeks, with nine distinct design zones and two prestigious Awards Evenings, New Designers is an event full of innovation and fresh thinking. Over 3,500 of the most talented newly graduated designers from across the nation will come together under one roof for the 27th edition of New Designers."

As you can imagine it costs A LOT of money to get us there as we need to pay not only for our space at the venue, but also for marketing, PR, transporting our work, materials, photography, lighting...(the list goes on!). Any kind of donation will be greatly appreciated.

If you would like to help us to get to New Designers, please click on the link below to donate.

Thanks for your time,

[Mr. Tea's cousin] x

Because what the world REALLY needs right now, OK, is not people to fight corruption and economic injustice, uphold civil and human rights, combat religious extremism or develop new energy sources - it needs designers. Yeah, let's DESIGN all our problems away!

Did I mention her dad is worth several million?

alex

Do not read this.
people who say they don't do drugs, then proceed to drink like a fish, cunts.

consultants of any kind.

anyone who works in HR & trys to defend the occupation like it actually is something substantial.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
alex;283163 consultants of any kind. [/QUOTE said:
yes, (usually) the worst kind of chrlatans. the amounts they charge per day is staggering (500 quid per day for some work we are having done only because some other people are paying for it), and they inevitably know fuck-all about the place theyre going to, because they spend the first day asking you extremely obvious questions.

HR - isnt there a famous quote about the ned-of-humanity involved in treating people as though they were in the same category as computers, stationery and other office resources....

alex

Do not read this.
Oh they are total and complete frauds. The only reason I’ve mentioned them is I’ve had this guy start at my firm (it’s a small firm 7 or so people) and he used to do consultancy, and my boss has taken him on in a kind of ‘executive’ roll, even though he knows less than me when I started at the firm 5 years ago. He’s obviously been in the boardroom far too long, because he knows next to nothing about the operational side of things...which is so satisfying, as in a small company it’s a level playing field, so I’m literally better than him at 9/10 processes. However, him asking every five minutes about every little fucking thing I’m doing, or what we do as a company as a whole is getting so tedious. He’s actually a really nice guy, however he just reminds me too much of a consultant, or an executive. Well you’re neither in this fucking company you prick, so go and make some coffee..

viktorvaughn

My work have recently commissioned a consultant to do a small/medium report on something and i was our contact for her. We've got the report (10 days work @ 500 - £5k) and there are quite a few typos in it, it isn't very well written, clunky and basically I could have done a better job (or at least as good) if they had given it to me to do :mad:

alex

Do not read this.
Okay so this annoyed me even more yesterday & this morning. He calls females ‘babe’ ‘honey’ and ‘darling’. How offensive is that?? And also [sarcasm] a great way to keep customers. (y) [/sarcasm]. I suppose I’m a bit of a hypocrite, because I’ve used those words before, but I would NEVER use them to someone in business, IN PERSON or to a CUSTOMER you’ve never met.

He just sounds so middle aged.

edit* viktor that is just so fucking typical

sorry but if you've got to hire someone to tell you how to run your company, you shouldn't be running it in the first place.

jenks

thread death
Using 'myself' instead of 'me'. Arrrgggghhhh. 'I'll have to see what's best for myself' etc.
I have senior manager who does this and he has started to infect other managers, as if it somehow makes them sound more intelligent, when, of course the opposite is occurring.
Or is it lack of confidence in being able to work out when to use I and me? Possibly forgivable if it wasn't for the fact that these people are teachers.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Using 'myself' instead of 'me'. Arrrgggghhhh. 'I'll have to see what's best for myself' etc.

I consider this my own personal pet hate, but feel free to have a go on it. It's just so irritating and it's EVERYWHERE. Oddly enough for an annoying managerial tic, it's not new, I mean you see it in novels written a century or two ago.

In my current job we don't seem to have team leaders or group leaders so much as "teamleads" and "groupleads". Everyone here speaks perfectly good English so it's not like it can be blamed on people not being native Anglophones, either. Having said that, most of the managers here seem to have a solidly nerdy science background rather than business or management, so there's much less business-speak horror than there could be.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
One I no longer have to deal with now I've got my own place: people who completely unnecessarily stack just-washed glasses and mugs upside-down, especially on a smooth worktop or, better yet, a damp, mildewy tea towel. They soon end up so full of germs and stink they have to be washed again before you can use them. Even apparently intelligent people do this. It's mystifying.

Leo

One I no longer have to deal with now I've got my own place: people who completely unnecessarily stack just-washed glasses and mugs upside-down, especially on a smooth worktop or, better yet, a damp, mildewy tea towel. They soon end up so full of germs and stink they have to be washed again before you can use them. Even apparently intelligent people do this. It's mystifying.

but won't airborne germs, etc. be able to enter the insides of the washed glass if it's sitting right-side up? hmm. but yeah, that's probably still better than upside down on a damp towel. that's a petri dish experiment waiting to happen.

if i towel isn't available to dry the glass, i can see putting it upside down on some sort of elevated dish rack where the water is allowed to drip out, though.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's the fact that you've got an airtight seal, you get this horrible mephitic stench from the anaerobic bacteria.