Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Fucking opt-out travel insurance on web forms for buying travel tickets - and forgetting to uncheck it. Only a quid, but it's the principle. Fuck you, National Express. I hope we crash and I break my leg and cost you (or someone) MILLIONS.

e/y

On a travel related note, on Monday I bought train tickets to Frankfurt from Bonn. Before I left the house, I checked online and got a very nice price of 38 euros, 40 minutes later at the train station the price went up to 48. Grrrr.

PadaEtc

Emperor Penguin
Fucking opt-out travel insurance on web forms for buying travel tickets - and forgetting to uncheck it. Only a quid, but it's the principle. Fuck you, National Express. I hope we crash and I break my leg and cost you (or someone) MILLIONS.

I did this the other day - the whole site seems to have been designed so that you do this.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
People - able-bodied, not carrying anything big - who will call a lift and, if necessary, wait a couple of minutes for it, in order to go up one floor. Seriously, what the fuck.

Leo

People - able-bodied, not carrying anything big - who will call a lift and, if necessary, wait a couple of minutes for it, in order to go up one floor. Seriously, what the fuck.

people who pay good $$ for their monthly gym membership but wait each morning at a bus stop that's about four blocks from the train station. they have no problem with an hour on the treadmill, but a five-minute walk down the street is apparently too much.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
people who pay good $$ for their monthly gym membership but wait each morning at a bus stop that's about four blocks from the train station. they have no problem with an hour on the treadmill, but a five-minute walk down the street is apparently too much.

411200892904AM_onlyinamerica.jpg

I love how the file is called "onlyinamerica.jpg".

Client Eastwood

Also people who keep everyone waiting by keeping the lift door open just so they can finish thier conversation. Anything more than 10 seconds deserves a good kicking in.

Leo

in other escalator-related news...

enhanced-buzz-28404-1339698713-6.jpg

this is all over facebook/blogs, etc. as "Shark Tank Collapses At The Scientific Center In Kuwait", but no actual news coverage appear in google searches, so it might be photoshopped.

Leo

...and yes, it's officially fake. original flood photo from a building in toronto:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...street-really-is-a-shark-tank/article4226010/

edit: an hour after i pointed out on a friend's fb page that it's fake, new people continue to comment things like "whoa, that's crazy!", "omg, how did that happen?!", etc. are people unable to pay attention anymore? or does the fact that something ISN'T REAL not even matter nowadays?

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Unusu a ll y parsed 'phone numbers

Aargh, hate it when you recite a number to someone and they say it back to you with a different pattern of pauses in it - always confuses the hell out of me.

Also, people who text you a number with 'helpful' spaces in it, so your phone thinks it's three separate numbers. Total wastemen.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Supposedly left-leaning Guardian describing anyone who is anti-bank-induced-austerity (ie not completely crazy/lickspittle) as a 'radical'. Cunts.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Supposedly left-leaning Guardian describing anyone who is anti-bank-induced-austerity (ie not completely crazy/lickspittle) as a 'radical'. Cunts.

Teh Grauniad just makes me laugh generally. Typical contents of their weekend magazine:

p4 How Gentrification Is Forcing Working Class Families From Their Homes
p6 Our Guide To Britain's Top Ten Inner-City Organic Farmers' Markets

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
god, tell me about it. I used to go spare over the Independent's pull-out consumer guide that was only featured lamps costing over £400 or tailor-made holidays down the Nile for £3,000. Conflict between editorial and advertising, or simply lack of joined up thinking?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Just symptomatic of the middle-class self-hatred that's integral to liberal/left-wing broadsheet journalism. My girlfriend's housemate takes the FT and its magazine's ethos is an almost refreshing "We're loaded - you're loaded - so what?".

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The thing is, I barely know anyone who buys £400 lamps or goes on holidays worth thousands of pounds (a smattering, and they generally work in the financial sector). It mystifies me as to who is actually buying these things after reading about them in the Guardian.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
The thing is, I barely know anyone who buys £400 lamps or goes on holidays worth thousands of pounds (a smattering, and they generally work in the financial sector). It mystifies me as to who is actually buying these things after reading about them in the Guardian.
I think the point is that the people who do buy £400 lamps and go on holidays worth thousands of pounds are rather more valuable to advertise to than people who buy lamps for a tenner from argos...

As per Douglas Adams:
"And we don't sell to penniless hitchhikers. What a stupid notion that was! Find the one section of the market that, more or less by definition, doesn't have any money, and try to sell to it."

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
of course. but my point was rather that:

(i) there's a middle ground here between the absurdly rich and the dirt poor, and i would have thought that advertising slightly less expensive stuff that (to my mind) middle income people can afford would in the end reap benefits from the scale of sales you could make

(ii) if you're going to ignore scale and instead advertise very expensive stuff to rich people, then why even bother advertising in the guardian?

(iii) it clearly must work for them, and i've completely misjudged the guardian demographic

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I think part of it is that people aren't reading it and thinking "oh, I'd been wondering what lamp to get for about £400, maybe I'll go for that one", people read it and think "oh, that looks pretty" and then move on. It's kind of like Top Gear not really being for people who want to know what car to buy.

The fashion thing pretty much has a "stuff you can actually afford" section to complement the "stuff that you'll never be able to afford but might look out for high-street knockoffs of" bit.

Also, I think the demographic probably is richer than you think but without neccessarily all being hedge fund managers - eg middle class professionals whose kids have left home and who've paid off the mortgage. I dunno.

In any case, there's definitely a fairly comical divide between the editorial line and the pragmatic stuff they do to stay in business...