One Louder

Wild Horses
Skream's an insanely prolific producer so there's tons of music from the last decade that doesnt sound like his tearout stuff. check "Memories of 3rd Base" on Digital Soundbwoy for recent 'eyes down' tip. Also "untitled" from the Skreamizm series I always felt was a twin of "Sweetz."

Yeah theres no doubting how prolific he is, My comment is simply a personal opinion TBH, I think the majority of Skream material being released ATM simply reflects where the demand is, but simply put there is a vibe about the 2006 stuff thats hard to beat for my money.

There's lots of very early Skream on this free hatcha mix CD, though it's more of the clipped, minimal dark 2step style he started with than the mid point 3rd Base era colour.

DL'd this from your blog the minute I saw it.

There's loads of his beats on this 05 mix too.

Cool. On that.

am really happy to see people are feeling these: going backwards isnt always the logical step in this game, but I just couldnt let those two get lost forever...

thanks for putting it out there.

One Louder

Wild Horses
Very interesting, big thanks for sharing.
In relation to that, and to the 'when FWD was empty' chat on the last page, I feel I have to say that I'm not all that comfortable with the narrative that's quite strong within dubstep, to the effect that things can only be good - or at least can only be at their best - when just a small, highly informed audience know about them. It's hard not to see this as elitist, at least in some sense of the word, and I also think it's potentially self-limiting.
Of course, I'm talking off the top of my head here, and it could well be that my view stems from ignorance of how the London/UK club scene works these days, having only got into regularly raving quite recently. It could just be that the structure of things means it's not possible to make innovative music that will reach any kind of a crowd, even at an underground/grassroots level. So if you think I'm way off here, please tell me so and try and say why. No trollo. :)

I think its about context really, the RA interview is between producers (ok and a promoter/PR/A+R type).
The point that keeps coming up esp. in relation to early FWD is that it was a flashpoint for something new and provided common ground for the producers involved to critique each others work - outside of what was deemed popular in the mainstream of club music- at dubsteps inception you're looking at a time when garage crowds were moving toward a more house oriented sound or simply toward house, the breaks and electro scene was on the rise, the 2 step sound wasn't fashionable, simply put, so people were moving away from it. Except for a small group of producers who took that blueprint and made their own sound with it. Most scenes in their formative stages are elitist in some form or other, but on the other hand the mainstream raver generally isn't paying attention anyway.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Very interesting, big thanks for sharing.
In relation to that, and to the 'when FWD was empty' chat on the last page, I feel I have to say that I'm not all that comfortable with the narrative that's quite strong within dubstep, to the effect that things can only be good - or at least can only be at their best - when just a small, highly informed audience know about them. It's hard not to see this as elitist, at least in some sense of the word, and I also think it's potentially self-limiting.
Of course, I'm talking off the top of my head here, and it could well be that my view stems from ignorance of how the London/UK club scene works these days, having only got into regularly raving quite recently. It could just be that the structure of things means it's not possible to make innovative music that will reach any kind of a crowd, even at an underground/grassroots level. So if you think I'm way off here, please tell me so and try and say why. No trollo. :)

hmm, consider the dubstep data points if you will.

- 2000-2006 = small group of producers, no audience, sonic freedom, high quality % output.
- 2006-2008 = massive change in the number of producers and audience, sonic narrowing of the template for many of the producers and DJs, massive drop in quality % output.

don't get me wrong I SO didn't want it to turn out like that, but it did. I guess it's now well established it's quite hard to appeal to large crowds of friday night ravers and retain so many degrees of freedom. i always hoped it would be possible, but so many DJs suggest it mostly isnt (tho there are exceptions).

I would caveat all this with the fact that I think 2009 was wonderfully creative and I feel very inspired right now as a producer, DJ, blogger and label owner. but i think this is inspite of dubstep's massive success and sonic narrowing, not because of it.

the way i see the most creative, post-dubstep people out there right now, people like Untold in that interview, is that the noise of wobble dubstep is acting as a nice smoke screen to mask the creative signal, so a long tail of people like Untold can appeal to the head of "dubstep" fans while making quite diverse, free music, the "bass scene" as that piece calls it.

This is certainly how we're building our sets now, connecting different tail producers, styles and bpm from within the geographically delocalised long tail, rather than playing south-london-centric dubstep and east-london-centric grime, as we perhaps were in 07. this relates to some of the questions of the piece about scenes and geography, and how i think this sound can move forward creatively without one geographical hub, as FWD/DMZ and Sidewinder were to dubstep and grime respectively. that's not to say the influence of locale is gone from the music we make and play, quite the opposite: its just that the themes ("rudeness!") that run through UK bass music have now been widely distributed and are being creatively mutated.

Last edited:

wise

bare BARE BONES
This is going back a bit but does anyone know what the last track on Greena's Ballers mix is ?
It's not listed on the tracklist

It's got a pitched up vocal that goes 'She doesn't treat you the way you want her too, come on and find me i want to get with you oh hoo'
Sounds like the sort of tune BokBok and that lot would play but I haven't heard it elsewhere.

Anyone know?

powerpill

This is going back a bit but does anyone know what the last track on Greena's Ballers mix is ?
It's not listed on the tracklist

It's got a pitched up vocal that goes 'She doesn't treat you the way you want her too, come on and find me i want to get with you oh hoo'
Sounds like the sort of tune BokBok and that lot would play but I haven't heard it elsewhere.

Anyone know?

kingdom - you

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Great interview, very thought provoking.

House has been huge for me over the past year, and just like a lot of people I got into it primarily through UK funky. I actually don't listen to that much funky anymore, more Masters At Work/Motor City Drum Ensemble/Omar S/Todd Edwards/Tuff Jam stuff...

I love the fact that you can tune on to Rinse and hear DJs like Brackles, Oneman, Braiden etc. (not to mention Bok Bok, Ben UFO, Greena...) who go from playing house to funky to garage to dubstep to techno in one set without any self-consciousness about it. It's difficult to pull off but all of those DJs I've mentioned manage it.

A tune like Mosca's 'Square One' is the sort of dream tune I wanted to come out of this mish-mashing of genres. The way it combines funky, rnb/crunk synths, ragga samples etc. and pulls it off completely... and the fact that its HYPE.

Really need to get on Reason from this point onwards

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Great interview, very thought provoking.

House has been huge for me over the past year, and just like a lot of people I got into it primarily through UK funky. I actually don't listen to that much funky anymore, more Masters At Work/Motor City Drum Ensemble/Omar S/Todd Edwards/Tuff Jam stuff...

I love the fact that you can tune on to Rinse and hear DJs like Brackles, Oneman, Braiden etc. (not to mention Bok Bok, Ben UFO, Greena...) who go from playing house to funky to garage to dubstep to techno in one set without any self-consciousness about it. It's difficult to pull off but all of those DJs I've mentioned manage it.

A tune like Mosca's 'Square One' is the sort of dream tune I wanted to come out of this mish-mashing of genres. The way it combines funky, rnb/crunk synths, ragga samples etc. and pulls it off completely... and the fact that its HYPE.

the arc you describe is one so many people seem to have gone through in the last year. to me this direction has the odd position of being both the most exciting nuum direction right now but also regularly a hair's breadth from being spectacularly derivative and bland. part of many people's lack of concern around the latter is that to many dubstep and funky fans, house is totally brand new, rather than a 25-year old global dance genre with fairly "formula-ed" set of rules and structures.

i can see everyone getting housier and housier, which is cool but if one of the core strengths of nuum sounds is ownership and as a consequence the ability to mutate the genre, then heading towards mainstream US house is counter productive. geeneus made this point back in 07.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I just noticed Ben UFO did his last Sub FM show? Why? Please tell me it's because he's getting a Rinse slot. He deserves one.

EDIT: Just heard Elijah and Skilliam say "Thanks to Ben UFO and Pangaea for the last two" so question answered. Congratulations Ben!

Last edited:

ether

from twitter: @Harmonic313: To whom it make concern, Please stop shouting "play some Dubstep" and " Dubstep"! at dj's playing interesting umm Dubstep.

errm.. i always thought this was supposed to be ironic? a bit of a fwd in-joke, or am i missing something?

computer_rock

it is/was a joke at one point but i'm sure someone has said it without irony before. i mean it wouldn't be funny if there wasn't some truth to it would it?

'play some bro-step!' would be a more obviously signposted ironic heckle. i can't imagine anyone honestly seriously shouting that at a dj

ether

yeah think it started as a serious heckle during a kode set (i think?), then people kept shouting it out as piss-take. it was discussed somewhere far far up-thread, think it may have even been corpsey who started it. lol the meme-like.. spread of the heckle.

Last edited:

franz

the arc you describe is one so many people seem to have gone through in the last year. to me this direction has the odd position of being both the most exciting nuum direction right now but also regularly a hair's breadth from being spectacularly derivative and bland. part of many people's lack of concern around the latter is that to many dubstep and funky fans, house is totally brand new, rather than a 25-year old global dance genre with fairly "formula-ed" set of rules and structures.

i can see everyone getting housier and housier, which is cool but if one of the core strengths of nuum sounds is ownership and as a consequence the ability to mutate the genre, then heading towards mainstream US house is counter productive. geeneus made this point back in 07.

that said, there are some truly interesting contributions being made to deep house by UK producers right now--something i think you could begin to attribute in part (and moving forward i think this will be the case) to linking up with some of the production aesthetics of jungle, drum'n'bass, etc. some of the dark ambience, for example...