Elijah

Butterz
let's have some dmz reviews then :)

so far i've heard it was over packed, people were moving through the floor like it was a corridor, the queue was insane, and there were too many blokey blokes doing fists-forward coke-dancing.... but also heard that kode9 b2b oneman was absolutely ridiculously good.

yes. exactly this.

Elijah

Butterz
yeah apparently joker and pinch worked together despite potential clash of styles :) what do dmz and loefah play these days?

whatever it was, I didnt get it, or like it.

Sounded like indubstrial.

They played most songs from start to finish, which as a Grime guy was hard to digest. They got a few big crowd reactions with the bait tunes, but for most of the 90 mins people were juss zoned out. Skream and Hatcha raised the roof afterwards.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
That's... a bit sad. Mala's one of the most elevating DJs I've ever seen, I'd hate to see him go... sludgy.

Everyone seems to have really got off on Kode 9 vs Oneman, so the fact I got TWO tunes played in that set has given me the broadest smile this side of Cheshire!

mms

sometimes
That's... a bit sad. Mala's one of the most elevating DJs I've ever seen, I'd hate to see him go... sludgy.

Everyone seems to have really got off on Kode 9 vs Oneman, so the fact I got TWO tunes played in that set has given me the broadest smile this side of Cheshire!

yeah this is exactly the reaction i felt when i heard him dj recently.

Badga Tek

Flushing MCs down the loo
yeah this is exactly the reaction i felt when i heard him dj recently.

Yeah don't really know whats happened. Between 2006 and summer 2007, Mala sets were unmissable. Now I find myself strangely unmoved by them.

I don't know what it was about Saturday but I just came away feeling a bit apathetic. Left about 2.30, way earlier than I've ever left a DMZ (although I've not been since last July). Pinch/Joker and Kode/Oneman were sick but after that I didn't really feel any great compulsion to stay. Had more jokes in the 2 hour queue beforehand.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think when DJing becomes a job you can be forgiven for losing sight of certain things, and for losing enthusiasm. Also, I think Mala does seem to play different sets according to the venue - the amount of hype around DMZ nights nowadays, playing the peak time set, the pressure is probably enormous to play the biggest smashers you possibly can.

My ideal Mala set would really consist of mostly his own tunes, to be honest. I don't really know if he's still making tunes fairly regularly anymore, presumably he is making more new stuff than Loefah?

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i think it was one of my fave DMZs in quite some time. you cant argue with Quest b2b Silkie -> Joker b2b Pinch -> Kode9 b2b Oneman now can you?

Loefah's back on production and label ownership for 09, i think he's going to surprise a few people with his new stuff though. Mala's been collaborating with a lot of people so it'd be cool to see that stuff come out too.

when Elijah mentions Indubstrial i think he may be talking about Loe dropping Kryptic Mindz and Mud, which may be less to his tastes. unless its was Coki's stuff...

Either way pretty good DMZ, well ordered so if you liked wagga wobble, you could duck out at around 4pm.

elgato

I just dont know
would love to see that Mala collabo with Silkie & Quest come out, Shirt & Tie i think it was called, that with Unexpected would make a dream plate

Living Different too though, a big favourite of mine

Kuma

The Konspirator

Fair play, they're big tunes!

mos dan

fact music
someone said to me tonight they saw loefah dj at matter and have never seen anyone look so bored while dj-ing.. i dunno if that's a reflection on matter or what

Blackdown

nexKeysound
someone said to me tonight they saw loefah dj at matter and have never seen anyone look so bored while dj-ing.. i dunno if that's a reflection on matter or what

After the very first DMZ at 3rd Base which was unexpectedly a massive success, Kode9 turned to Loefah - he's since told me - who was stood there lean and stationary with a 1000 yard stare. 9 asked him how he felt. After a long pause, Loe replied slowly and in all honestly "I'm ecstatic..."

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

After the very first DMZ at 3rd Base which was unexpectedly a massive success, Kode9 turned to Loefah - he's since told me - who was stood there lean and stationary with a 1000 yard stare. 9 asked him how he felt. After a long pause, Loe replied slowly and in all honestly "I'm ecstatic..."

Yeah, Loefah always looks pissed off and moody DJing, it's his style!