Dusty

Tone deaf
I was supposed to be staying over in London this weekend and would love to have gone to that - now sadly going home to Dorset about 9ish. gutted.

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
I think for me what's more important is using names that are accurate and productive in terms of conveying the key features that listeners respond to in a style of music and which differentiate it from other styles of music.

Rock and Roll, House, Drum and Bass, Heavy* Metal...

Are they really that significant? I don't think the name has much to do with it at all personally.

*Or one of the thousands of sub genres

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Rock and Roll, House, Drum and Bass, Heavy* Metal...

Are they really that significant? I don't think the name has much to do with it at all personally.

*Or one of the thousands of sub genres

Eh, I'll reply properly tomorrow when I'm fully sober, but I warn you already that my replies are liable to get all pseudo-philosophical and wander off from whatever point I was trying to originally make...

You and bandshell are both making valid points btw.

Fundamental

I think the What D'You Call It argument is more pertinent than ever at the moment. I think it is interesting that Kode 9 sees what is going on right now as a transitional period, like he mentioned in the Blackdown interview, as do others.

I think maybe it might be the end of genre in some senses. I understand that is an overt statement to make, and I'm sure there will always be genre and those who want to categorize it all, but I'm not sure we are gonna get anything as solid as dubstep ever again. The dissemination of the product with the way the music scene on the web is set up now doesn't seem to want to allow it.

You don't have the geographical territories like Croydon or Bow/Hackney to keep it baking. The top DJs all don't batter the same top 10 songs like they did in grime/garage etc. It is all centred around micro-scenes, collectives and clubnights but nothing all encompassing. (Rub-A-Dub/Numbers, Night Slugs, Hyperdub, 'Future Garage). There is so little room for 'anthems' to develop like they did. The way the US scene works is another story.

All that is solid has finally melted into air. (Oh by the way... this is a bloody good thing.)

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I only really find categorization limiting and pointless when the genre is either attached perjoratively (e.g. "brostep") or reactively in a way to self-consciously push an aesthetic agenda that is more often than not a conceit of the artists themselves rather than fulfilling any kind of descriptive purposes (e.g. "deep" dubstep, "IDM", "future garage", etc.)

For what it's worth, "IDM" was the invention of listeners, not artists or journalists.

Dr Awesome

Techsteppin'
The top DJs all don't batter the same top 10 songs like they did in grime/garage etc. It is all centred around micro-scenes, collectives and clubnights but nothing all encompassing. (Rub-A-Dub/Numbers, Night Slugs, Hyperdub, 'Future Garage). There is so little room for 'anthems' to develop like they did. The way the US scene works is another story.

One would presume that Grime and Garage kinda missed the whole Net 2.0 explosion which Dubstep caught oh so well.
With more online access diversification, proliferation and mutation were always going to occur at a faster rate, indeed you could probably accurately catagorise dubstep's popularity as before/after Dubstep Warz.
That said, I have a sneaking suspicion that there's always been a degree of recoil to labeling these little permutations too much, the ghost of sub-genres past must have flown the young Dubstep up to the proverbial window.
I've known of attitudes of "lets not label it" floating around at gigs and forums for as long as I can remember, although that all changed when massively overdriven midrange flange sounds became popular.

KifNKin

I think the What D'You Call It argument is more pertinent than ever at the moment. I think it is interesting that Kode 9 sees what is going on right now as a transitional period, like he mentioned in the Blackdown interview, as do others.

I think maybe it might be the end of genre in some senses. I understand that is an overt statement to make, and I'm sure there will always be genre and those who want to categorize it all, but I'm not sure we are gonna get anything as solid as dubstep ever again. The dissemination of the product with the way the music scene on the web is set up now doesn't seem to want to allow it.

You don't have the geographical territories like Croydon or Bow/Hackney to keep it baking. The top DJs all don't batter the same top 10 songs like they did in grime/garage etc. It is all centred around micro-scenes, collectives and clubnights but nothing all encompassing. (Rub-A-Dub/Numbers, Night Slugs, Hyperdub, 'Future Garage). There is so little room for 'anthems' to develop like they did. The way the US scene works is another story.

All that is solid has finally melted into air. (Oh by the way... this is a bloody good thing.)

Completely agree with this - no need to fall in with scene etiquette if you're making music alone in your bedroom. It's all there for you anyway - a way to make music, a way to get it out and an audience to get it out to.

Hugely important development for music, IMO. Leads to purer sound, less contaminated by expectation/the need to work in groups/for groups. You can hear that loneliness and privacy in a lot of the new music anyway, even in stuff as diverse as Untold and the XX, James Blake, Washed Out, Oneohtrix Point Never, Joe etc

They're linked by something deeper than the sound. It's the approach that counts.

alex

Do not read this.
Corpsey I can sort you out with a cheap brass, she's got webbed feet but w/e. Should be good on sat though.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
he knows that, he's thinking about his budget for K/Coke/MDMA/high-class prostitutes and Tunnocks Teacakes;)

I'd ask 'do you know me?' but evidently the question doesn't need asking.

Yes it's free entry but unfortunately trains/coaches/drinks/prostitutes still cost money. :(

Thanks alex for the offer, btw. Please cut her up into pieces and mail me her 20% at a time over the next month.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
For what it's worth, "IDM" was the invention of listeners, not artists or journalists.

Sure, but it's still a conceit. A term like IDM still aims to say far more about the artist/listener/journalist than it does the actual music. In this case, very bluntly.

mms

sometimes
Completely agree with this - no need to fall in with scene etiquette if you're making music alone in your bedroom. It's all there for you anyway - a way to make music, a way to get it out and an audience to get it out to.

Hugely important development for music, IMO. Leads to purer sound, less contaminated by expectation/the need to work in groups/for groups. You can hear that loneliness and privacy in a lot of the new music anyway, even in stuff as diverse as Untold and the XX, James Blake, Washed Out, Oneohtrix Point Never, Joe etc

They're linked by something deeper than the sound. It's the approach that counts.

yes this is probably a better way to see music - laterally rather than bound by bpms and bass.