Phaedo

Haven't got City Limits Vol 2 but flicked through clips and got his first album. Silkie is talented guy who makes loads of great tracks but really seems to fall short in making a overall good album. His style just ends up all a bit to similar both in sound design and song structure. With the first album as well some tracks were mentally long, listening through the whole thing in one go was painful despite pretty much every track being solid.

Its a shame; he makes a lot of non-140 tunes which could add some nice variation into a album but didnt choose to incorporate any.

SecondLine

Its a shame; he makes a lot of non-140 tunes which could add some nice variation into a album but didnt choose to incorporate any.

there's a 120bpm bit and an 80/160bpm one on the album. 'Boogie Boi' and 'Only 4 U' I think they're called. tbh they're my favourite bits on it, but I agree, it def feels like an album for the sake of having all those tracks on wax for his sets, rather than a unified, structured artwork.

That seems to be a pretty familiar syndrome with dance music though

Phaedo

there's a 120bpm bit and an 80/160bpm one on the album. 'Boogie Boi' and 'Only 4 U' I think they're called. tbh they're my favourite bits on it, but I agree, it def feels like an album for the sake of having all those tracks on wax for his sets, rather than a unified, structured artwork.

That seems to be a pretty familiar syndrome with dance music though

Ahh yeah I remember those 2 tracks now, definitely are two of the best on it.

Having listened through the clips again, I might buy it. Really like a lot of the tracks on it, if you basically view as just a collection of beats he's made recently rather than a album I think it will probably be far better listening experience.

Phaedo

New Deep Medi signing, Ulrich Troyer. Not dubstep strictly but loving this track. Looking forward to hearing the album. The comic concept is interesting too.

Songs for William is the first in a trilogy of experimental dub projects from Ulrich Troyer and Deep Medi Musik.
Ulrich Troyer was born in Innsbruck and raised in Tyrol Austria, he studied Architechure and music at university and now resides in Vienna where he lives and works as a freelance artist and musician. Ulrich has been producing music and experimenting with electronics for over 10 years on various projects that include soundtracks for movies, dance productions, exhibitions and sound installations. Since 2005 Ulrich has also been performing live as a member of the Vegetable Orchestra.
Songs For William sees Ulrich explore his love for Dub music and the experimentations of pioneers such as King Tubby, Sound Dimension and Rhythm and Sound alongside the influences of Mulatu, Tony Allen and the psychedelic sounds of Selda. To accompany this release is the first part chapter of a comic novel featuring the main character William (A guitar effect pedal!) and his journey!
All analogue synthesizers, effects, stompboxes, samplers, guitars, percussion and melodica played, programmed, recorded and dubbed by Ulrich Troyer at the 4Bit Studio Vienna.

gumdrops

all jokers songs with singers are bad and dissapointing imo. someone make him stop please. he should make a big concept album about the world being overrun by anti funky producers using soft synths instead and how he has to fight them with great big fuck off analogue keyboards instead.

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
all jokers songs with singers are bad and dissapointing imo. someone make him stop please. he should make a big concept album about the world being overrun by anti funky producers using soft synths instead and how he has to fight them with great big fuck off analogue keyboards instead.

I agree with this, but perhaps it's simply that having a bigger budget has allowed him to work with singers and that was something he always wanted to do and now has the opportunity to try? Alternatively, and more cynically, maybe he's seen the success of, say, Magnetic Man (and SBTRKT to a lesser extent) having employed singers and fancied some of that crossover action - getting mainstream radio play is near impossible without some sort of vocal (hence the poxy Foreign Beggars verses on Badman Riddim, for instance), and from radio play comes live performances and touring, which are where the real money is these days.

It's always frustrating when a producer you like seemingly takes a mis-step, but I do believe using singers is his own choice rather than a result of label pressure - after all, 4AD put out Zomby's album with no interference, despite comment here (and elsewhere) that the tracks are too short, etc. Baffling as it may seem, perhaps Joker wants to put out vocal tracks and consign his purple synths to history. Which is a shame, but there you go.

If you're looking for a synth-heavy concept album, the forthcoming Rustie LP is probably a better bet:

http://www.factmag.com/2011/07/27/rustie-brandishes-glass-swords-on-debut-lp/