MIA - kala

gumdrops

i agree her politics are misguided. she should really know better.

has anyone ever attempted to actually challenge her on that? id be interested to see what she had to say about it (maybe she has already, i dunno, but i tried to steer clear of her original hype laden interviews)

swears

preppy-kei
I guess she comes across as a bit of radical chic crumpet for the "Guardian reader" posse. (that old straw man.)

dHarry

yes, on a cursory first listen (thanks Zhao - piracy funds terrorism!) she's lacking that sassy "New York! quieten down, I need to make a sound!" attitude from the first album

gumdrops

i always laugh when i watch a dvd and it has that warning at the beginning about piracy funding terorrism.

zhao

there are no accidents
and the ones that say "you wouldn't steal a car..." ( i always think to myself "yeah i would"), you wouldn't grab an old lady's purse ("yes i would")...

kidding of course. unless all other options are even worse...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
and the ones that say "you wouldn't steal a car..." ( i always think to myself "yeah i would"), you wouldn't grab an old lady's purse ("yes i would")...

kidding of course. unless all other options are even worse...

what really pisses me off about that is that it's on the DVDs that you rent, and I'm like, you're taking the piss, aside from the fact you can't fast forward it. Plus it assumes that one hasn't already done all of the things it states...patronising cunts. I can totally see it with regard to music, but I'm meant to feel sorry for Hollywood? please.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
I never thought her ideas came from 'a guy'. I thought they came from all the other genres of music she clumsily "appropriated".

swears

preppy-kei
I remember when her first album came out, the press was making a big deal out of how she'd produced it all herself. I knew Diplo had done a couple of beats on the records, but I never got the impression that he was solely responsible for inventing her or anything like that at any point.

petergunn

plywood violin
I remember when her first album came out, the press was making a big deal out of how she'd produced it all herself. I knew Diplo had done a couple of beats on the records, but I never got the impression that he was solely responsible for inventing her or anything like that at any point.

i wish i had i read this pitchfork thing yesterday...

i just saw the Diplo last night at a TTC show (they were really terrible, but that's another story)...

could have bumrushed him:

"M.I.A. SAYS YOU ARE A BLUE EYED OPPRESSOR!!!!!!!!!!"

ripley

appropriation in itself isn't a bad thing
-or maybe you can call it appropriation when it's bad and inspiration/sampling/reference when it's good but it's the execution that matters, not the ownership

neither is having critical politics in itself a bad thing.

what matters if it's done well.. if it works for you.

gumdrops

i like the fact shes said the thing about people always giving more credit to the 'white masterminds' behind non white artists. she should prob get more credit for the direction shes gone in and her 'sound' cos she does have one regardless of who produces for her but she might be reaching a bit as most of her first album had beats from white producers.

the whole diplo thing i think might be more contentious for her just cos theyre no longer dating, but her album was basically a product of what diplo deejays so she cant say his influence is zero even if he didnt produce much.

basically though, i think this is just yet more brilliant press for her. shes great at pushing peoples buttons. got to love it.

this is a good quote -
" At the time, it was really like "I think I'll talk about Liberia and stuff like that" and it didn't really mean much to me, but it means much to me now when I hear it being juxtaposed with the fact that "oh, this guy is allowed to come in and bring issues forward about whatever, Brazil or something like that, but the person from Africa can't bring us issues," you know what I mean?"

Last edited:

DJ PIMP

Yeah... well it's that kind of new wave psych-electro crossover electro house thing... sounds house tempo/mixable.

My fave cut in that vein (from the past week) is the Berkhouse & Snyder remix of Peter Haze 'The Disko' feat Nikolina. Best pseudo-lesbian nu-rave electro erotica track ever...

The MIA is great tho. Laugh at people here still slating her. Politics/drama fades, the tracks remain, and she is now 2 fresh albums deep...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Yeah... well it's that kind of new wave psych-electro crossover electro house thing... sounds house tempo/mixable.

My fave cut in that vein (from the past week) is the Berkhouse & Snyder remix of Peter Haze 'The Disko' feat Nikolina. Best pseudo-lesbian nu-rave electro erotica track ever...

The MIA is great tho. Laugh at people here still slating her. Politics/drama fades, the tracks remain, and she is now 2 fresh albums deep...

Better than Lesbians on Ecstasy? Or are they not pseudo? lol. Hafta check that out.

I saw MIA in Montreal last tour, I was taken and didn't wanna go, and I dunno whether it was the Montreal audience or what - but she was really fucking good, the whole crowd - and a big crowd - were rockin, I was well impressed even though I don't listen to her at home.