MIA - kala

zhao

there are no accidents
appropriation in itself isn't a bad thing

was just hanging out with blonde dreaded german guys who speak only patois... sounding proper too.

what do people think about Gentleman or Inspecta Deck? what is the verdict on the political implications of this kind of cultural aping, adopting, and arguably becoming?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Why does she insist on referencing Africa in the interview. Last time I checked, Sri Lanka wasn't in Africa...and maybe African people are able to, y'know, speak for themselves?

Alfons

Way of the future
Plus it assumes that one hasn't already done all of the things it states...patronising cunts. I can totally see it with regard to music, but I'm meant to feel sorry for Hollywood? please.

I hate the fact that these ads juxtapose two completely different things, armed robbery and copyright infrigement are not that related are they... I really want to make an ad with things like "you wouldn't murder a kid, you wouldn't rape a woman... speeding/jaywalking/insertinsignifacantillegalact is a crime". Some criminal acts are less severe than others, even if they are all illegal.

I find the whole cult of Diplo very weird. I listen to the guy's records, mixes, remixes etc, and I just don't get it. They're really not very good. The M.I.A stuff is the only thing he's done that's any good. Am I missing something?

Eric

Mr Moraigero
heard the `jimmy' track on standard japanese radio today at the doctors. is it the single or something? making some kind of impact? a little surprised.

zhao

there are no accidents
I find the whole cult of Diplo very weird. I listen to the guy's records, mixes, remixes etc, and I just don't get it. They're really not very good. The M.I.A stuff is the only thing he's done that's any good. Am I missing something?

no you're not

N

nomadologist

guuuh i can't believe she sampled Straight to Hell, my favorite Clash song. now I don't want to like it anymore.

hucks

Your Message Here

I quite liked his Diplo Rhythm track, esp the Brazillian bit. And his Fabric mix CD is pretty good. Off the back of that, I got his album, Florida, which is absolutely useless.

N

nomadologist

, i'm sure i never will listen to anything she made, what an absolute prick she is (i'm treating her like a man, like she wants)

yeah i'm sure she'd be devastated. because women are so weak they just can't take being namecalled

N

nomadologist

although she really is just another trustafarian in homemade thriftstore couture. i'll give you that.

DannyL

Wild Horses
she really is just another trustafarian in homemade thriftstore couture. i'll give you that.

Really? I never got that criticism of her. I can understand not liking of her music or her wide ranging cultural borrowing but why is she a "trustafarian"? Is it based on the fact that she went to St Martins? (Don't poor people ever get into St Martins?).

Anyway, in this interview she talks a lot about growing up skint, and says being brought up by her mother alone is a big factor in her personal motivation:

http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/da/56068

It always has seemed quite likely to me that a immigrant from an ethnic minority background coming to the UK was going to grow up poor ....

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Out of interest, has anyone ever verified the story about her dad, or is it just her word? Only she does seem to have a bit of a tangental relationship with reality, if her interviews are anything to go by. It's not too big a stretch to imagine an art school student projecting herself into this global rudegirl character.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Seems unlikely to me that she would fabricate what is the baiss of her entire public image. That'd be a hell of thing to get caught out at.

tht

akstavrh
there was an interview with her from her first album where she claimed she went to LA and lived as a sort of concubine to some crim types in california

S

simon silverdollar

Anyway, in this interview she talks a lot about growing up skint, and says being brought up by her mother alone is a big factor in her personal motivation:

http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/da/56068

It always has seemed quite likely to me that a immigrant from an ethnic minority background coming to the UK was going to grow up poor ....

the bit in that interview about 'putting people on the map who haven't even seen maps' made me wince though. not a nice turn of phrase; she comes across as bit naive and condescending.

zhao

there are no accidents
oh come the fuck on all you haters.

so she's a crap rapper, so she's a style biter, so her politics are dodgy by way of first year uni; but she is still filling a void in the pop-urban area; she is still a fresh voice and sound; she is still "standing up" or atleast making songs for women and minorities everywhere; i for one am still excited when she comes out with a new record; she still stirs up controversy everywhere; and at the end of the day, she is indeed making the world a more interesting place to live in.

how many trustafarian brats out there are 1/100th as worthy of your time as she is?

it can't be easy being the ONLY south asian girl in the western music biz.

i'm all for it.

i hope she gets better at what she does. i hope she becomes more successful. and i hope she inspires more hybrid sounds like hers.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
oh come the fuck on all you haters.

Oh, no no no. No. We're not getting into all this again, god help us! :D

I don't care whether her story's true or not really, I was just curious as to whether anyone had checked it out.

I'd like it more if it she was being a bit economical with the truth in service of this MIA character. That seems to me like a pretty cool, conceptual jape, and a nice satire on hip hop gansta he-got-shot-9-times authenticity. Whereas if she's actually using her estranged Dad as a major cog in her publicity machine... well, isn't that's a bit creepy?

If it is an elaboration, it's a pretty safe bet she won't get rumbled. I can't see any music journalists pitching up at an LTTA camp in the jungle with a 'Hello there, can you help me with some research on a minor English rapper?".

I listened to the album a few more times. Boyz is cool, though it would be better with less structural faffing - the first 8 bars are the best bit. And she should have sampled the crowd noise off a proper yard tape, what she's got in there now sounds like the Download festival or something. The one with the aussie kids in is a nice novelty track, and $20 is all right. The rest of it is a bit flimsy.

If I was mixing this album, very first thing I'd do is scratch 80% of the vocals.