baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
His goal against Argentina at the WC was, I'd say, possibly the goal of the tournament. He looks like a bit of a Solksjaer with his eye for goal and his demeanour, to make a vague comparison.

crackerjack

Starting to think that dropping him from my FF team (after he failed to make the first team ahead of that lethal duo of Owen and Macheda) and buying Guan instead wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done.:(

hucks

Your Message Here
I had him on the bench at the weekend. Grrrr

Am in Spain right now, went to the r Madrid Milan game last week. Madrid looked very good- could have won by any amount, really. Then they battered racing Santander at the weekend, and the Madrid press duly lost the run of themselves. You might as well hand over the league, champions league, world cup, ashes, the lot to (urgh) 'cr7' as they insist on calling him.

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
Real seeming to be hitting their stride now, but they didn't start the season too well. They were really poor against Levante a few weeks back.

crackerjack

Thread's very quiet...nothing to say on PL or CL?

So let's talk L1...

4 games, 4 wins, 12 goals, 0 conceded, 8 points clear (and would've been 5, 5, 13, 0, 10 if not for outrageous last minute penalty v Bournemouth)

at 5pm Saturday, 2nd-place side were closer to relegation zone than they were to us

latest song from the Withdean (to the tune of stunned disbelief)

"we're fucking brilliant, we're fucking brilliant"

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
Decent enough side last season, Brighton, but where did this come from?

Another stormer from bale, tonight- taxi for maicon, apparently

crackerjack

Decent enough side last season, Brighton, but where did this come from?

Good manager, obviously, and finished last season strongly. But nothing like this. There were whispers in the summer that we were quietly spending a bit more money than the new chairman had indicated (he said all his cash was going to the stadium, but seems he threw in some spare change too). Haven't been that many incomings, but we've kept good players like Calderon, got Lua Lua back on loan until Jan and brought in Kishishev, who looked a class act by L1 standards in the game I went to.

Poyet's got them playing neat, disciplined possession football. Our only fear right now is him being poached.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Glad to see Poyet doing well. In other recent Chelsea player management news, Albert Ferrer is managing Vitesse Arnhem

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Okay, it has to be said again that those Tottenham goals last night were pretty extraordinary, and Bale's punt and chase past Maicon the most audacious thing I've seen in a while. First goal was pretty special too, I thought, overshadowed though it was by later events. Tottenham deserve it for the way they play the game. I think they could go very far in the CL, given a reasonable draw, cos they won't be encumbered by thoughts of the title.

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
I think they could go very far in the CL, given a reasonable draw, cos they won't be encumbered by thoughts of the title.

I think this is key. They probably won't make fourth either, so they might as well throw what they've got at the CL and see if something comes of it. Having said that, I think they'd still be exposed against the best teams in Europe.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Still not convinced that Spurs have the backbone to be really successful. They've got away games at Bolton and Sunderland coming up (I think) and I could easily see them dropping points. If they had someone like Mascherano and a decent centre-half they'd be serious contenders

hucks

Your Message Here
Having said that, I think they'd still be exposed against the best teams in Europe.

Such as the European champions? Re: mascherano type spoiler - where does sandro play? I've not seen him. But they've done well so far betaking the game to their opponents, so why change?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Think Spurs could take the game (at least at WHL) to any top side in Europe, with the exception of Barcelona, who I think would take them apart by depriving them of any possession whatsoever.

But, as said, I can't see them being consistent enough against 'smaller' teams to be a threat for the title any time soon.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Goddamn Chelsea. I knew that Liverpool would be a hard game as they still have some cracking players and they usually raise their game for the big matches, but Chelsea should have got something from that match. Pissed off that Man U got a last minute winner as well :mad:

Still not convinced that Spurs have the backbone to be really successful. They've got away games at Bolton and Sunderland coming up (I think) and I could easily see them dropping points.

Paolo the Octopus :D

crackerjack

Goddamn Chelsea. I knew that Liverpool would be a hard game as they still have some cracking players and they usually raise their game for the big matches, but Chelsea should have got something from that match. Pissed off that Man U got a last minute winner as well :mad:

I was amazed how easy the first half was. Looked really comfortable once the first goal was in and even when Chelsea were dominant in the second half they weren't that penetrative. As wellaas the obvious Torres resurgence, it felt good to have Kuyt back and Lucas is evolving into a decent midfield scrapper in Mascherano's absence (plus he can only look brilliant by comparison with Poulsen).

PL shaping up to be quite open. Though I still expect them to win the league, Chelsea have now played 4 of the 5 teams who should occupy 3-7 at season's end (assuming it's them and Utd top 2) and taken just 4 points from them. Utd have also been very vulnerable against... almost everyone. Consistency will tell eventually, but yesterday's stuttering win was no surprise and they've got more points than they currently deserve. Plus Rio's days I numbered, I reckon.