crackerjack

Well, I accept that he was their best player on that night. Don't think that he was the best player on the pitch though - not by a long chalk.
What did you reckon to Inter last night then? Had a bit of a go but basically just aren't as good as United. It was like a veterans game with Giggs, Scholes, Figo, Vierra and Zanetti playing.

After it became obvious Utd were gonna win (ie after 4 mins) I spent most of the time watching Barca, with a bit of flicking back to Arse (rubbish, rubbish match, 22 dead men walking) and United. Held out hope that Inter were coming back into it in the 2nd quarter, but the 2nd goal killed it and I didn't watch after that.

As for the oldies - FFS, did no one tell Viera that vidic is tasty at corners? Did Jose not think to stick someone agile on him instead of generic Tall Bloke?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"After it became obvious Utd were gonna win (ie after 4 mins) I spent most of the time watching Barca, with a bit of flicking back to Arse (rubbish, rubbish match, 22 dead men walking) and United. Held out hope that Inter were coming back into it in the 2nd quarter, but the 2nd goal killed it and I didn't watch after that."
The pub where I was had Arsenal on one screen and United on the other, I'd agree that the Arsenal game was poor - both teams looked nervous, as well they might with the tie so delicately balanced and so much at stake.
Inter flickered sporadically against United and hit the post but there never seemed to be much doubt as to the final result. I reckon Jose knew that Inter weren't up to the job but he hoped to try and destabilise United by talking up what a tough tie it was for them.
As an aside, everyone keeps going on about Ronaldo going to Madrid but, assuming that's true, if he watched the game on Wednesday he might reconsider.

"oh jose.
i dont know if i hope this is true or not."
What's that then?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I get the impression that the Special One was brought in to win the champions league (being as how Mancini was sacked despite winning the league twice in a row) so where does that leave him now? If anything they've gone backwards.

crackerjack

I get the impression that the Special One was brought in to win the champions league (being as how Mancini was sacked despite winning the league twice in a row) so where does that leave him now? If anything they've gone backwards.

I was gonna sympathise that they'd drawn a tough group which led to them coming 2nd which led to a match with Utd which led to elimination.

But they were beaten by Panathinaikos.

Oh dear Jose.

Even allowng for Serie A's shortage of pulling power, that is piss poor.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Given the European Cup fever here, have to post the best performance in the competition's history.

Capello's (non-)reaction after the second goal is the coolest thing I have ever seen from any football manager. Beat that, Jose.

And Savicevic's goal...to score something like that in the biggest club game in the world...genius.

That's still the best performance I've seen.

As far as I remember Barcelona went in to the match as strong favourites (Baresi and Costacurta suspended)

Desailly in his old central midfield position was monstrous. Savicevic was inconsistent (half the time on the bench too) but unbelievably talented.

Last edited:

tom lea

to be fair, he won't be sacked after not winning it one year. they havent gone backwards - just stayed the same.

i wouldn't be surprised if he wanted out though. weird move; it almost seemed at the time like he wanted somewhere where he could spend some time til an opportunity in a better league came up. very odd for one of the three or four highest profile managers in the world to go to a league on a downward slope.

crackerjack

to be fair, he won't be sacked after not winning it one year. they havent gone backwards - just stayed the same.

i wouldn't be surprised if he wanted out though. weird move; it almost seemed at the time like he wanted somewhere where he could spend some time til an opportunity in a better league came up. very odd for one of the three or four highest profile managers in the world to go to a league on a downward slope.

I think that's true, though for a man like him there aren't that many options - he'd want a club with some spending power. Madrid regard their managers as coaches, front men for the team the chairman buys (and sometimes picks) and after the Chelsea fall-out that was never likely.

Barca was the job for him - any idea why he didn't take/get it? Not enough sexy football?

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Can't wait for CFC to draw Liverpool again...:slanted:...and if they lose I'll eat my 'Blue Is The Colour' song sheet...:mad: Praying for Arsenal, though.

crackerjack

He's a great big game player, but can drift out...

He does like the Hollywood side of things (on the pitch), granted, but he is often carrying a mediocre side by himself, so he can be excused the odd fade-out.

I'd make Vidic player of the year, if the polls closed today and if anyone was asking. But Gerrard is 2nd.

vimothy

yurp
Looking forward to tomorrow! But damn these early starts. Mid day is about 4pm at the weekends. Somebody tell the premiership, please.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I wouldn't really say that Gerrard is the same kind of player as Makelele - he was there at Real (and Chelsea) to do a stopping job so that the creative players could get forward which it's fair to say is also true of Gerrard, it's just that with Liverpool the creative player that gets forward is him as well. How many goals has Makelele scored in his career? Not many. Still I reckon that Gerrard is awesome, the way he pelts box to box the entire game is incredible but I do agree that he does sometimes have a tendency to overegg the pudding. Interesting what ZZ says about confidence, I know that some of my friends who support Liverpool argue that sometimes Stevie G distorts the team and makes everyone around him almost nervous - they feel as though they have to pass when he calls.
Hard to say who is better out of him and Messi, they're just such different kinds of players.