baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.

That was good, but the keeper just kind of collapsed instead of trying to tip it over.

Just saw the Man U - Liverpool highlights. Torres OWNED Vidic on Saturday...if I were fergie I'd be shitting myself about drawing Barcelona now in the CL, cos how the hell is he going to deal with Messi, Eto'o and Henry? Vidic is obv still a very good player, but that kind of game can destroy anyone's confidence.

hucks

Your Message Here
That is the dullest draw imaginable. If there were to be 2 english teams drawn together, any other combination is preferable. And whilst Barca Bayern should be a belter (all the b's!) either of them against Man U or Arsenal would have been more insteresting than Villareal or Porto.

crackerjack

That is the dullest draw imaginable. If there were to be 2 english teams drawn together, any other combination is preferable. And whilst Barca Bayern should be a belter (all the b's!) either of them against Man U or Arsenal would have been more insteresting than Villareal or Porto.

Agreed. Liv-Chel ffor the 4th year in 5, soft draws for the other English clubs and the 2 best non-Prem teams playing each other.

Booo!

Also, Utd have good as got a bye to the final, while the winner of Liverpool-Chelesea is up against barca/Bayern. FFS

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
Dunno about that. It's Arsenal's only hope of a trophy, the second leg's at the Emirates and they already beat them once this season (with a bit to spare, despite the scoreline).

And that assumes Arsenal get past Villareal, whom Man U have not beaten in the 4 times they've played.

I think we can all assume Man U will beat Porto, though.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I think Barca are gonna get stopped by Bayern. Classic European logic - the most free-wheeling team in the competition run up against less talented but better organised opposition, and don't even reach the final.

My favourite example is Juve-Real in the 2003 semi. Real played the best football I have personally ever seen in the first half of the first leg vs United, but Juve stopped them in Turin with (as I remember) a monumentla performance by Nedved.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I think Barca are gonna get stopped by Bayern. Classic European logic - the most free-wheeling team in the competition run up against less talented but better organised opposition, and don't even reach the final."
Well, Bayern scored twelve in the last round so they must be fairly adventurous.

"I think we can all assume Man U will beat Porto, though."
That's probably what they thought last time they played them.

crackerjack

Dunno about that. It's Arsenal's only hope of a trophy, the second leg's at the Emirates and they already beat them once this season (with a bit to spare, despite the scoreline)

This is my cackhanded attempt at jinxing them - cheaper than putting a bet on.

Arse looked pretty ropey vs Roma and I really don't think they have it in them anymore, not this season anyway.

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
This is my cackhanded attempt at jinxing them - cheaper than putting a bet on.

Arse looked pretty ropey vs Roma and I really don't think they have it in them anymore, not this season anyway.

On the other hand, Arsenal have been improving recently, as players have started coming back from injury. Even the Lacrosse Player (Radio Birdman) has started to look useful, and Cesc is soon to return to full action. So you never know...

crackerjack

can you hear the bums a-squeaking?

Trouble is, Liverpool will almost certainly get a 0-0 draw with villa tomorrow, which will rather spoil it all.

mos dan

fact music
Concur.

Somehow we've become a more attractive Wimbledon as of late.

and afc have become like a less attractive wimbledon as of late haha... we can't buy a goal all of a sudden.

re the long ball stuff, i remember an article from 'go roger go' (a wimbledon zine dedicated to our right back in the early 90s, roger joseph) saying that wimbledon's 'route one' long-ball game was effectively the same as liverpool's 'visionary 60 yard passing game', the main difference being in the pundits' biased phrasing, i think there might be some truth in that. but yeah i'm not saying wimbledon were as attractive to watch as liverpool in the early 90s lol.. '88 though still :cool:

i've gotta say, i enjoyed fulham's victory over man u immensely, that match of the day was one of the best in a very long time. the implosion was a joy to watch, sorry rich you know how it is.

anyway meanwhile afc are having a man u-like wobble at the top of the blue square south. hampton and richmond could close the gap to 3 points.. squeaky bum time. we go to them on april 18th in what could be the title decider, they've given us 1700 away tickets and i will hopefully have one of them..

crackerjack

re the long ball stuff, i remember an article from 'go roger go' (a wimbledon zine dedicated to our right back in the early 90s, roger joseph) saying that wimbledon's 'route one' long-ball game was effectively the same as liverpool's 'visionary 60 yard passing game', the main difference being in the pundits' biased phrasing, i think there might be some truth in that.

It's not that there's anything inherently unsophisticated about the long ball, it's just that, as practised by the Crazy Gang, it was more of an aimless punt in the direction of Big Striker, whose job was to knock it down while gouging out the defender's eyeball and stamping on his throat.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"i've gotta say, i enjoyed fulham's victory over man u immensely, that match of the day was one of the best in a very long time. the implosion was a joy to watch, sorry rich you know how it is."
No problem at all mate. Anyway, when are you next down on a Wednesday, I'm looking forward to trying out some simple but effective football the way it ought to be played on you.