Burial "Untrue"

bassnation

the abyss
To me it's not so much that Burial's music is important, or amazing or groundbreaking. It's more that it captures so well a certain sense of less and distant hope that is immediately familiar to anyone who has ever believed in the 'rave dream' or ruined their brain chemistry with mdma. In that sense it's very generous music that wants to make a connection with the massive and how things feel these days. So for a certain type of person it does feel kind of epochal.

At one point I did wonder if it was a collaboration between Jimmy Cauty and Kevin Shields though.

is the burial lp available digitally anywhere yet?

zhao

there are no accidents
Yer I mean Zhao is on a musical "health kick" he only wants to eat "organic" "free-range" music, ethically sourced of course on a free trade basis. So Burial's synths'n'vocal science is like a big greasy burger filled with charred meat to him...

that set of metaphors is inaccurate. has nothing to do with "purity" or any of that. i mean if Burial is a burger then Kwaito is like a giant steak!

i have no preoccupations with the politics or ethics of music making. sampling techniques and po-mo methods and synthesizers or acoustic instruments, HOW it's made doesn't concern me.

only thing I'm after is music which takes me the farthest, hits me the hardest, and most effectively pull at the heart-strings.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
that set of metaphors is inaccurate. has nothing to do with "purity" or any of that. i mean if Burial is a burger then Kwaito is like a giant steak!

i have no preoccupations with the politics or ethics of music making. sampling techniques and po-mo methods and synthesizers or acoustic instruments, HOW it's made doesn't concern me.

only thing I'm after is music which takes me the farthest, hits me the hardest, and most effectively pull at the heart-strings.

Yes alright...

audiofelch

I've spent 24 hours with this thing..

Some incredible moments. untrue.. Archangel is such a great pop tune. the retuned/edited vocal has a great balance of UKG/r n'b lyrical cliche and ambiguity ..the way the words get edited into half formed phrases.. theres an aggression to those edits too.. something desperate and ominous... this is the way i like my longing

but these moments are too infrequent for me. an over-abundance of overripe lush string pads, a lack of tension in many of the track structures. the incessant ubiquity of the 'burial' elements, the stronger tracks get subsumed into the more lackluster murk. im trying ot get lost in it.. but i cant quite get there.

I think I loved the promise of this record more. i spent a good 3 hours with the low res boomkat snippets looping on and on.. and the kode 9 mix was great (once i fast forwared past that ridiculous mary anne hobbs.. excruciating one-the-edge-of-climax tone of hers... jesus. also: wheres the heavy car-keys riddim from that mix?) but those intense glimpses are spread a little thin on the lp.

still. enjoying it nonetheless.

N

nomadologist

wow i really despise this kilimanjaro jazz ensemble music.

the piano playing is really bad.

N

nomadologist

Archangel is soo so good. It's like a really good R&B song + everything I wish production values could always be like.

I can't wait to put this on tripping, on my boyfriend's speakers, you're going to be able to see it fill the room like magicke.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
and the kode 9 mix was great (once i fast forwared past that ridiculous mary anne hobbs.. excruciating one-the-edge-of-climax tone of hers... jesus.
A quick chop in the old audio editor has allowed me to have this on repeat. Ah blessed relief. Will probably pick up the CD tomorrow - never bought a full album of mp3s and bring myself to it with this. Then I can work on making the Burial playlist that should have been without all the boring bits.

zhao

there are no accidents
what! youre crazy. they sound very different no? i like kode 9 a lot actually... very warm reggae tones. if i have to pick a favorite dubstep producer it might be him. isn't it about time for a new long player?

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Yeah totally different musical personalities.

Blackdown's sound is closer. New one sounds very nice in fact. I don't buy much dubstep but that's on the list.

N

nomadologist

what! youre crazy. they sound very different no? i like kode 9 a lot actually... very warm reggae tones. if i have to pick a favorite dubstep producer it might be him. isn't it about time for a new long player?

why would you make up a name and new identity if not to write really different music? especialyl a secret one?

zhao

there are no accidents
why would you make up a name and new identity if not to write really different music? especialyl a secret one?

one would think... but loads of people with loads of aliases that all sound the same :confused:

what's the difference between the Bug and Ladybug?