Burial "Untrue"

Woebot

i just heard this and it's nice but veers too close to the "over-ripe-brie" aspects of vangelis's bladerunner soundtrack.

swears

preppy-kei
Look at his best I love the guy but a lot of the time his production style does not require hi fidelity engineering techniques, and indeed on Hell Hath No Fury (surely his most consistent full album production?) the cheapo-nastiness of it all is what gives it a certain vitality (in a very similar way to early Grime- all neon nastiness and out of sync drums).

I saw a documentary on the Neptunes, Pharrell seems to be more the ideas guy and Chad Hugo is the technical whiz who realises these ideas on the gear.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
pic_tec_pro_acidpro2.jpg
vs.
itemphoto.jpg

I would have liked to have heard but that will emerge eventually (like Shutta off the 1st promo mix)

Shutta has come out already- it's on the Ghost Hardware EP

An upcoming EP rounds up a fair amount of the rest

Would have liked "Cold Planet" to have made the cut

i just heard this and it's nice but veers too close to the "over-ripe-brie" aspects of vangelis's bladerunner soundtrack.

Can't we at least give him some credit for aiming for the classical ideal of "beauty"? :D

Not too many trying after all...

are we going to make fun of hell hath no fury today?

i like it all i don't care what anybody sayzzz

I agree, this a consistently great album!

Momma I'm So Sorry :cool:

Ulysses

Not a half-steppah
long time listener, 1st time caller

Hi,

Been lurking on dissensus for sometime. Thought I'd pipe up about the new Burial.

I think its really quite good, an eerie piece of work. Can't get over how he fits into the dubstep canon, stuff sounds like UKG vs Rhythm & Sound, which is no small feat.
I think his own description of his music being the afterglow of a party, that weird
melancholy, is so appropriate. I can't really imagine most of it being played out, though
his bass is killer. I think it's a fine continuation of the ideas on his 1st lp. I could
make suggestions as to where I'd like to see him go with his music, but Im more than
content to sit back and watch what he does next.

N

nomadologist

I saw a documentary on the Neptunes, Pharrell seems to be more the ideas guy and Chad Hugo is the technical whiz who realises these ideas on the gear.

That's because he is so rich and influential he doesn't have to work anymore.

God I wish I were Pharrell.

N

nomadologist

Heh I really like Vangelis' Blade Runner soundtrack, too.

swears

preppy-kei
That's because he is so rich and influential he doesn't have to work anymore.

God I wish I were Pharrell.

Nah, that's how they've always done it apprently. Pharrell sort of hums and beatboxes the tunes or plays rough sketches on a keyboard, then Hugo uses the gear to get the sounds out of Pharrell's head on wax.

N

nomadologist

Huh, well. Pharrell probably has more "vision" then. Still, a really good album.

swears

preppy-kei
Yeah, 'course it's about vision, I'm not knocking PW.

There's millions of tech heads out there, but only one Pharrell!

zhao

there are no accidents
taking a break from listening to stuff i'm really interested in to play this for the first time. by track 6 or 7 i'm already bored. it's nice but no new ideas since the last album, the pallette is the same, (unique as it is compared to rest in "the genre", of which it's not really a part of, as someone rightly noted above), and it's become a bit of a formula with which he can churn out any number of tracks. the only thrills come with a few of those sudden hush moments, where the bass dive all of a sudden stops short, and all the samples are cleared. is that it? no goosebumps for me. the synthy atmosphere and "disembodied vocals" are so ubiquitous, with no contrast, on every track that it stops being special. if i was to be even more harsh i would say "post-garage elevator music". but i won't because i don't want to piss people off :)

with that said of course ghost hardware is a good track, and the last one Raver is surprisingly straight and pretty groovy with that marimba thing.

maybe i'll like it more with more listens. but honestly there is not much there to draw me back.

do people feel that it is really all that important? to me Shakleton is a bigger splash in the dubstep pond...

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Zhao: I love Shackleton but do you not find his whole pan-global percussion fests equally samey (also- and you're the right guy to ask on this perhaps- do they not measure up a bit short in comparison to the original sources he's drawing on...?)

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Zhao: I love Shackleton but do you not find his whole pan-global percussion fests equally samey (also- and you're the right guy to ask on this perhaps- do they not measure up a bit short in comparison to the original sources he's drawing on...?)

I think it's more of an issue concerning the burial album (which I've still not heard :)) though, simply because of the format. By making an album you're explicitly stepping away from the scene and making something to be listened to from start to finish.

I doubt it's deliberate but by releasing vinyl singles only (the compilation CD aside) shackleton's dubstep is more oriented to 'the scene' - I can't comment on whether or not his stuff comes up short compared to the sources he's drawing from, but they sound absolutely amazing in the context of a mix. As burial is an albums man, his music is more being made to listen to in the context of itself, and as such sameyness would be more of a problem... although I can't see myself having the same problems with it as zhao to be honest

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Zhao: I love Shackleton but do you not find his whole pan-global percussion fests equally samey

yes. his tracks are a bit dj-tools, repeating the 1 or 2 good ideas for 6 minutes. but as such it's nice, i actually can't wait to put together a mix with some of them.

(also- and you're the right guy to ask on this perhaps- do they not measure up a bit short in comparison to the original sources he's drawing on...?)

well that is, as people in the corporate sector would say, a no-brainer. if only classical sufi percussion had these big modern production values...

fuck i really need to put together that collection of "ancient futurism" tracks don't i??? i mean talk about GOOSEBUMPS and raw psycho-active power... Islamic music from Indonesia... the deep, dark, ominous rush of monolithic morrocan flutes...

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yer I mean Zhao is on a musical "health kick" he only wants to eat "organic" "free-range" music, ethically sourced of course on a free trade basis. So Burial's synths'n'vocal science is like a big greasy burger filled with charred meat to him...

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
do people feel that it is really all that important? to me Shakleton is a bigger splash in the dubstep pond...
To me it's not so much that Burial's music is important, or amazing or groundbreaking. It's more that it captures so well a certain sense of less and distant hope that is immediately familiar to anyone who has ever believed in the 'rave dream' or ruined their brain chemistry with mdma. In that sense it's very generous music that wants to make a connection with the massive and how things feel these days. So for a certain type of person it does feel kind of epochal.

At one point I did wonder if it was a collaboration between Jimmy Cauty and Kevin Shields though. Really reminds me of the KLF more than anything - especially that Waiting For The Rights Of Mu CD.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
well that is, as people in the corporate sector would say, a no-brainer. if only classical sufi percussion had these big modern production values...

fuck i really need to put together that collection of "ancient futurism" tracks don't i??? i mean talk about GOOSEBUMPS and raw psycho-active power... Islamic music from Indonesia... the deep, dark, ominous rush of monolithic morrocan flutes...

Ok, all piss-taking aside I would be very much up for hearing that (as an omnivore)