music you've been enjoying lately

IdleRich

IdleRich
"in the prog vein, i heard Magma for the first time recently, it had me in stitches..it's like the ultimate end to experimentation in rock music as it was started in the mid-60's"
Magma are famously the favourite band of Steve Davis (the snooker player).

I've been listening to a bollywood soundtrack I got the other day called Commander but in a moment of weakness on Saturday I lent it to someone so that's gone for the moment. Shame, I wanted to give it a spin yesterday until I remembered, the best track is the one he's describing here:

"One long instrumental, which is just the sum of everything you want from Bollywood Funk. Fat, slow open beat, sexy panting lady, funky moogs, plenty bleeps & weird sounds. Towards the end the lady almost comes. Accompanied by strange jungle birds & and a choir of Zombies!"

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=4812851436

Don't remember the zombies as such but the rest is all present and correct. I love the sound of moogs. If anyone can recommend some good, squelchy and rough sounding moog stuff please do.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Plank had this incredible way of making sounds seem to leap out of the speakers - especially on the DAF records, the way the sequenced bass-synth becomes this solid physical presence. I really rate his albums with Dieter Moebius from Cluster too ('Feedback 66' from 'RastakrautPasta' is an amazing piece of monotone synth / drum machine / guitar dirge a la suicide or metal urbain). The one with the bin bags on the cover is great too.
Yeah Plank!

The 1st Phew! album and that Vampyretees 12" are two of my favourite examples of the Plank-ton. He had a big hand in Autobahn as well didn't he - you can hear it but I don't think he gets a credit on the CD anymore. Deserves his own thread.

+ New Harmonia album!!!

N

nomadologist

Conny Plank is my idol.

I really love 'musik von' and 'de luxe'...what is the new one called?

zhao

there are no accidents
i saw Cluster last week. with Moebius and i think Plank. there were a couple of nice moments, with some good textures, but it was very very boring. noodly quasi new-age synth scapes which went nowhere and in no hurry.

packed house though, all came out to see the legends crawl out of the woodworks... after 20 minutes i went for fresh-air and wasn't the only one who couldn't deal... had a short discussion about dubstep with Stephan Bekte...

the best Cluster for me is still Soweisoso.

N

nomadologist

yeah i hate live shows myself. i really try not to bother.

Sowiesoso is awesome of course

We should have a Plank thread and a Julian Cope thread, just to be sure one discussion doesn't turn into the other...

sing_minimal

roedelius was playing here this summer..i wasn't there, but people said it was really shitty. he started off well but went into some new age crap djing with occassional synth line..in that respect im sort of glad i missed him.

mms

sometimes
i saw Cluster last week. with Moebius and i think Plank. there were a couple of nice moments, with some good textures, but it was very very boring. noodly quasi new-age synth scapes which went nowhere and in no hurry.

packed house though, all came out to see the legends crawl out of the woodworks... after 20 minutes i went for fresh-air and wasn't the only one who couldn't deal... had a short discussion about dubstep with Stephan Bekte...

the best Cluster for me is still Soweisoso.

it wouldn't have been with conny plank zhao he's brown bread:(

mms

sometimes
also just belatedly picked up on dopplereffekt's 'calabi yau space' which has to be pretty much the best new record i've heard this year, certainly the most unashamedly brittle and futuristic (and tuneful). lush!

yes jim it's really fantastic, cinema for the ears, one of my faves this year too.

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
the Monochrome Set's 'Strange Boutique' and 'Return of the Giant Slits'. although i'll admit i'm not massively fond of the latter, just chuffed to finally have gotten my hands on it.
what's the consensus on music blogspots? it actually winds me up when i download an album for free and it turns out to be the best thing i've ever heard...it feels dirty, as if the sheer quantity of albums available cheapens the music, you don't appreciate it as much...and then there's the inevitable stroke you have when the computer dies :slanted:

also listened to some grime for the first time in ages, just happened to be last week's Newham Gens set - fucking brilliant - old bars, new bars, Tubby doing his thing, it was like coming home after a long hiatus

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
Strange Boutique ehh - some of us are old enough to have bought it first time around and still own it. The cover is pure beauty. As is the music.

One of the pieces of music I really have enjoyed lately is John McGuire's "A Cappela" (courtesy of the NonPop podcast, thanks for the hint about NonPop Rambler).

---

Went to three gigs last week (unusual for me even if I live in the big smoke).

Expectations were filled for all of them, but the most retro one was the best -
Cowboy Junkies with Ryan Adams doing The Trinity Sessions.

The more "futurustic" ones were both good as well: John Foxx doing Metamatic (I'm a huge fan) and a tight-as-pantyhose Battles (King Crimson thrown in the turbo-blender with Gentle Giant, nothing really new, but still exciting).

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
The more "futurustic" ones were both good as well: John Foxx doing Metamatic (I'm a huge fan) and a tight-as-pantyhose Battles (King Crimson thrown in the turbo-blender with Gentle Giant, nothing really new, but still exciting).

haha Gentle Giant's 'Octopus' is a bit of a prog classic. it's strange i've been listening to alot of the early prog-era stuff recently and it's music that has no place in the current climate, it's forever cursed to be Dad Rock. it's fascinating though, alot of it may lack emotion but it's a whole era of music that's been swept under the rug...you can never underestimate the influence punk had on the direction of popular music

N

nomadologist

i love that Monochrome Set song "Eine Symphonie des Grauens"...so good, but only a single I think

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
yes jim it's really fantastic, cinema for the ears, one of my faves this year too.

Count me in on this as well... Gesamunstwerk is maybe my favorite electro record (sorry Kraftwerk), but after that it's like the machines got bored of having sex with people, preferring to do their own experiments instead.

bnek

calabi yau space is effin great. beautiful sound. linear accelerator is their best stuff to me though, 'Z-Boson' is bliss.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
calabi yau space is effin great. beautiful sound. linear accelerator is their best stuff to me though, 'Z-Boson' is bliss.

Hahaha, awesome - are *all* the tracks named after stuff to do with particle physics? How deliciously nerdy. :)

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Thanks for the link!

Oh, another awesome thing about Gesamkunstwerk... the sound design is such that you can pitch up the tracks and you don't get that helium-sped-up effect... Perfect for Detroit-style 45RPM mixing, probably deliberately so. Ghettotech people were all over those tracks; DJ Assault and DJ Deeon cribbed "Superior Race" for their own stuff.