music you've been enjoying lately

tom pr

mars volta albums, which i bought ages ago but never really pursued with - despite the production being a bit compressed or 'bright' for my liking, i really like them now
Which ones? I like the first two (Deloused is one of my favourite records ever), but I just can't do the third one...

Helen

Tumbling Dice
I am in the midst of an extended Art of Noise and Severed Heads renaissance.
Also, Strawberry Jam by Animal Collective, though manic, is good.

gumdrops

Which ones? I like the first two (Deloused is one of my favourite records ever), but I just can't do the third one...

the first two - not got round to checking the 3rd one yet but am looking forward to it. am so tempted to try and find these albums on vinyl just cos the artwork is so good too.

tom pr

the first two - not got round to checking the 3rd one yet but am looking forward to it. am so tempted to try and find these albums on vinyl just cos the artwork is so good too.
Third one is mental in a completely different way to how the first two were; less massive riffs and less intensity but still a total beast of an album. And I wouldn't mind having them on vinyl too, even if I've already got the CDs. I don't think they're particularly hard to find either, a friend of mine got the first on coloured vinyl for twenty quid about a month ago.

Gotta say though, I hate the cover on the third album...

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
DEVIN THE DUDE - Waiting To Exhale
Z-RO - new rapalot album cant remember title
DJ APOSTLE - Sound of the New School Vol. 10
SWEAT X - myspace mixes

continuum

smugpolice
<object width="425" height="353"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="353"></embed></object>

shudder

I swear poptones is designed to be listened to over and over on repeat. Everything about it is circular. One of my favourite records.

so true. I just fished out my "Rip it Up and Start Again" to see what blissbloggah had written about it:

Gyrating around Wobble's deep, probing bassline, Levene's guitars scatters a wake of harmonic sparks that merge with the lustrous halo of cymbal spray. Talking about his 'circular, jangly', almost psychedelic playing on 'Poptones', Levene once compared its repetitiveness to staring at a white wall: 'If you look at if for a second, you'll see a white wall... If you keep looking at it for five minutes, you'll see different colours, different patterns, in front of your eyes - especially of you don't blink. And your ears don't blink.

just about right.

machinesoul

Wild Horses
A few bits and pieces,

Akron/Family-Love Is Easy
Karen Dalton- It's So Hard To Tell Who's Going To Love You Best
David Crosby-If Only I Could Remember My Name
Sunburned Hand Of Man-Fire Escape
Brightblack Morning Light-Brightblack Morning Light
Mordant Music-The Tower
Roland Appel-Dark Soldier
Iron And Wine-The Shepherd's Dog
Andrew Weatherall-Sci Fi Lo Fi

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
'Mass in F Minor' by the Electric Prunes...basically a 60's garage band tripping out on Catholic chanting. i make it sound bad but it's worth it for 'Kyrie Eleison' (the Easy Rider one), it's transcendent on big speakers.
there was a thread on here that turned me onto the 'Ethiopiques' series. i'd not really given Ethiopian jazz-folk the time of day before so cheers for that
and erm 'Camel' by Camel. it's prog, it's brain music, it's probably lame, but i like it; Gong's 'radio gnome' trilogy is also great.

the Byrds, particularly 'Fifth Dimension'.

in the prog vein, i heard Magma for the first time recently, it had me in stitches..it's like the ultimate end to experimentation in rock music as it was started in the mid-60's

I swear poptones is designed to be listened to over and over on repeat. Everything about it is circular. One of my favourite records.

metal box is timeless, an otherworldly classic. i like the 'Radio 4' instrumental...the whole record is just Lydon wearing these diverse and brilliant influences on his sleeve but building something totally unique - dub, Can, reggae, disco, krautrock. it's a very emotional record in places aswell, and is almost totally crap without the bass throb reverbing about the room

bnek

'Mass in F Minor' by the Electric Prunes...basically a 60's garage band tripping out on Catholic chanting. i make it sound bad but it's worth it for 'Kyrie Eleison' (the Easy Rider one), it's transcendent on big speakers.

the david axelrod/electric prunes track 'holy are you' is sick. axelrod had a kick ass rhythm section, though i find much of his music a bit overbearing..

mms

sometimes
the david axelrod/electric prunes track 'holy are you' is sick. axelrod had a kick ass rhythm section, though i find much of his music a bit overbearing..

yes a truly gorgeous record, that album, really sums up the axe sound and vision for me.

today i've been listening to music produced by conny plank, just out of a strange building coincidence, when you listen to neu next to ultravox - vienna or liasons dangereuse, you get a full picture of how plank's brilliant overall vision and this wonderful legacy of very moving melody combined with incredible studio technique and a real feeling of his ability to push music through different perceptions of time over an album.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
I was listening to Systems of Romance yesterday. "Dislocation" is a fucking tune.

he's a fascinating character, largely underestimated i think and his vision is persistent over about 25 years, and apart from his contemporary and collaborator brian eno you can't say that about many people.
does anyone know any good books about this part of german musical history btw?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
he's a fascinating character, largely underestimated i think and his vision is persistent over about 25 years, and apart from his contemporary and collaborator brian eno you can't say that about many people.
does anyone know any good books about this part of german musical history btw?

I'm sure Krautrocksampler covers Plank a lot...

bunnnnnn

Plank had this incredible way of making sounds seem to leap out of the speakers - especially on the DAF records, the way the sequenced bass-synth becomes this solid physical presence. I really rate his albums with Dieter Moebius from Cluster too ('Feedback 66' from 'RastakrautPasta' is an amazing piece of monotone synth / drum machine / guitar dirge a la suicide or metal urbain). The one with the bin bags on the cover is great too.

have just been listening to the gorgeous harmonia live 1974 album which sounds completely out of time, all gooey ectoplasmic synths and clockwork primitive rhythm machines creating this surreal hypnotic kosmische mess.

also just belatedly picked up on dopplereffekt's 'calabi yau space' which has to be pretty much the best new record i've heard this year, certainly the most unashamedly brittle and futuristic (and tuneful). lush!