l o v e

N

nomadologist

Just as much of a self-replicating viral mind-state as Capital itself.

yes! This is why capitalism is so fucking unstoppable. It rides the Id all the way to the bank, while virally infecting everyone on the level of the reality principle, so that they structure their desire according to capitalism.

Isn't it great how capitalism offers a terminus to desire in just about every advertisement? Hilarous. Brilliant.

N

nomadologist

And then best of all you can rip their reductively simplistic Freudian naturalising argument to shreds by demonstrating that it had nothing to do with that in the first place!

Yeah, sometimes I'll say "do you think I'm just acting out to manipulate you?"

gek-opel

entered apprentice
But all the while the Capitalist realist principle underlying the whole relation between patient/therapist means that no matter what happens, they are literally laughing all the way to the bank...

N

nomadologist

This is why I wanted to be a psychiatrist, but my boyfriend was like "i wouldn't send my dog to you"

swears

preppy-kei
Sometimes I think of particularly horrifying things to do, just so I can tell them and hear them "analyze" it, and tell me how it was because my dad didn't hug me or something. It's so gratifying.

lol, I can imagine the shrink like:

"Yes, you see I think this behavior all stems from the problems you had with... um, me, at our last session..."

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Exactly, Noel. I don't think the "Ego" really has anything to do with these personality structures; or rather, it has far less to do with them than many unconscious mechanisms and other structural psychological functions.

It's really the Super-Ego that should be destroyed, if you try to translate Zhao's terms into Freudian ones.
I know my post wasn't as clear as it should have been.

What I was saying was that the word 'ego' is used to describe at least two distinctly different things - sense of self as distinct, and personality. I wasn't talking about 'superego' at all as I think that is something entirely different and I'm not sure I like the term anyway - it's way misleading.

As to what 'should' be destroyed - I don't think anything should be destroyed as such really. I think maybe useless personality constructs that don't correspond with essential being can be transformed into something else maybe, or discarded.

You can dissolve identity as zhao is saying but in the modern world I think this can only really be temporary, unless you go and live by yourself up a mountain or something. And necessarily so too because it would just be impossible to function.

Psychology is really much simpler than all these Freudian models. There's essence, and then there's the other stuff - all that matters is how closely they correlate, or how much your shit gets in the way of you being you.

N

nomadologist

“Love? What is it? Most natural painkiller what there is. LOVE.”

Last words of William S. Burroughs.

Said Burroughs, on 80mgs a day of methadone.

You'd say that, too, hon.

No, Vim wouldn't say anything, he'd just drool on hiimself and bliss out.

bassnation

the abyss
Said Burroughs, on 80mgs a day of methadone.

You'd say that, too, hon.

No, Vim wouldn't say anything, he'd just drool on hiimself and bliss out.

i know way better painkillers than love. thing is, when it fucks up thats as much pain as you are ever going to feel in your entire life, believe me. goes back to what i was saying on the other thread about emotional pain. i'd rather have a broken arm to be frank.

N

nomadologist

i can think of several painkillers better than love. burroughs never loved anyone, he was a complete asshole.

yeah i took 9 roxicet (oxycontin) once, wheeew trying not to withdraw, but see, it sent me into RAPID withdrawal because it was nowhere near even half of a normal dose of mine so i spent 5 days so cold that they couldn't the thermometer to read my temp, they had to shove things in my ear, i really don't even remember it was so bad

zhao

there are no accidents
Fuck off Zhao. You are not a doctor, very clearly, not even close. You have not read any of the research on any mental illness, you probably don't even know the symptomology. I pay people to tell me what's wrong with me, I really don't need you to do that, k?

Maybe you could benefit from therapy, if you're so good at "letting go" of everything, eh?

ah yes. the last recourse of the trapped and miserable: straight up nastiness . toward those that genuinely care no less. but i don't hold it against you.

i see that i've hit a stone wall that nothing will get through this time around. i don't envy you. and i wish you all the best.

N

nomadologist

You might want to go fix your pathological passive-aggression, but that's just my unprofessional opinion :D