mos dan

fact music
was just hyping about the stush/sirens vocal to bok bok, and he reminded me (i was in a somewhat addled state tbf) that he dropped it at night slugs weeks ago.. i frickin *knew* i'd heard it somewhere before lol!

Leo

I thought that this was rather well-informed for Pitchfork (obv the 'Month in..' columns are generally excellent, though), then saw the byline...

my surprise was this coming via ministry of sound! is this symbolic of the genre officially breaking through? worth getting, you think? also, just checked amazon and they have it listed as a 2cd set, while the review says 3cd.

it's ironic, of course, that this comes out just as the only place you'd typically find MoS comps in nyc (virgin megastores) have all gone out of business.

gabriel

The Heatwave
was just hyping about the stush/sirens vocal to bok bok, and he reminded me (i was in a somewhat addled state tbf) that he dropped it at night slugs weeks ago.. i frickin *knew* i'd heard it somewhere before lol!

oh yeah i completely forgot that the first place i heard about it was when i saw it on his last.fm playlist, then i heard it on some pirate station after not being able to work out how lastfm works

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
my surprise was this coming via ministry of sound! is this symbolic of the genre officially breaking through? worth getting, you think? also, just checked amazon and they have it listed as a 2cd set, while the review says 3cd.

ah, i see! i thought ministry had been connected with a funky compilation in some way before...maybe i'm misremembering.

As to breaking through, what number did Kyla finally make it to in the charts when that was released?

hint

party record with a siren
That tune's nuts. I love the more electronic sounding sheit.

Did anyone get that white label from Uptown that just said "Jan 2009" on it? Sounds like Aardvarck doing Funky. I'll try and rip it.

Hey Jack.

That's one of the bootlegs of existing house stuff they sell. One of the tracks is Aaardvarck - "Nosestep" from 2007.

jackmaster

time, space, transmat
Hey Jack.

That's one of the bootlegs of existing house stuff they sell. One of the tracks is Aaardvarck - "Nosestep" from 2007.

Haaaaaa I knew it sounded too much like Aardvarck. I have the original record in the house as well. Strange that someone would bootleg that.

gabriel

The Heatwave
it's not a mash up, stush voiced it.

do you think i should keep stuff like this to myself? :D

seems like bok bok doesn't think so - from his twitter (may or may not be referring to stush on sirens)

"dnt get why people post public links to hot dubs. whats to gain ?"

er, loads of people being able to listen to said hot dub? sounds like a big gain to me...

continuing on this topic, i briefly tuned into rinse yesterday about half six (not sure if it was crazy cousinz but they were playing funky and it's their timeslot) and the dj was chatting about why he doesn't give out tracklists, about how he spends all his time looking for tunes, going through 1000 a day sometimes (i know that feeling) and so why should he give out the names of his tunes.

i can't imagine producers being happy about this situation, right?

Tim F

Dr. Benway, not sure what it's called but the first snippet you posted is definitely a DJ Naughty production. The MC even calls it, but you can tell anyway from the signature squelchy synth chords he always uses (compare it to "Love Lockdown" or his productions for Yazz).

I'm keen to ID that new remix of DJ Mystery's "Speechless" that Marcus Nasty played on his 24th June show - it actually sounded a bit like a DJ Naughty production (same squelchy repeated chords) but it also had this chilly techstep-meets-electroclash vibe to it as well, a bit like Scotty D.