Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
WHich ones apart? Apart from Loser, obv.

Ill Blu & Shystie - Pull It
Alison Hinds ft Michel Montano - Roll Em Gal
The Stush Sirens vocal
Sticky ft. Simi & Lady Chan - How Very Dare U
and a couple more that Scratcha and Cooly G played today that I don't know the names of yet. :)
Obviously it's not a huge number, and they're not all explicitly female-affirmative in the sense of being about sexual politics (why should they have to be?) but I still think it's a cool mini-trend. Especially because when people were predicting whether funky would get 'harder' (which I think to some extent it has) they were often worried that the hardness would equate to being unambigously 'macho'. Whereas this sort of thing shows that there's other ways forward.

Tim F

Totally agree with Tentative Andy here. The Dynamite voicing of Geeneus's "Crackish" is another massively great example.

I think this ties in with the fact that, unlike grime and as per my fond hopes for it, uk funky is really taking its cues from dancehall rather than rap. Not merely in the explicit sense of using dancehall vocalists etc. but also in the more subtle sense of maintaining a more even balance between vocalist and music, always maintaining faith with the dancefloor, being upbeat even when it's hard or a little bit dark...

The upshot of this is that the whole vibe is just much more conducive to female MCing, it's not merely that they can be as good as the guys (which is true of rap and grime anyway) but also that the music doesn't sound so predetermined by masculinity.

I'm sure there will be macho funky in the same way that there is macho dancehall, but for now at least the "logic" of the genre, even at the MC end, doesn't demand it.

Have spent the weekend fixated on "Pull it" and all the other stuff I bought from UKFunky this weekend..

Huge thanks to Tim for the recommendation of "Boom Ting"..

Also digging Mercurial Myrmidon and some Tribal Audio tracks.

This stuff is just so relentlessly exciting.

alex

Do not read this.
Who gives a fuck really

I don't even think his tunes are THAT great.

for some reason i keep thinking its T2, the bassline producers, although who's that/whats your name just feels a bit too refined for them/him/her/whatever sex or how many people T2 are.

Did the 12" come out on Ukfunky or Urban Riddims?
If it's UKfunky I can probably find out within the hour.

But yeah, I don't like them too much. Sounds just like Ben Hackman's stuff to me, although I prefer the hackman stuff.

By the way, Paper Boi's Zen On >>>>
So so glad i got that promo.

alex

Do not read this.
that 'the warning' beat sounds like some jamie vex'd samples.

@ slackk, believe it came out on urban riddems mate :)

alex

Do not read this.
sounds good, heard it @ dirty canvas a while back. Love the intro!!, sorry turbo posting this morn. Will cease.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I'm sure there will be macho funky in the same way that there is macho dancehall, but for now at least the "logic" of the genre, even at the MC end, doesn't demand it.
Hmmm, may already be happening? I really liked Gee's set at FWD last night but it does sort of bother me the way that dubstep-aligned DJs and producers pick up funky and manage to make it into eyes-down / serious-business / none-of-that-gay-shit music.

gabriel

The Heatwave
i agree and thankyou very much. now, if you feel like sharing that tifa and sami sanchez tune, feel free :D

seriously tho, thats one of my favourite tunes so far this year. is there a recording for ur rinse show last thurs? was one of the first times i missed it, am going to bed about 10.30 these days, its a par

the tifa one is a heatwave special so i'll probably be keeping that one under my hat, sorry :D

podcast from last week isn't up yet but should be here soon i guess - http://rinse.fm/index.php/podcasts

david boomah and rubi dan were wicked in combination....

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Does anyone else find it fascinating going back to the first few pages ofthis thread? You can almost trace the birth of funky, from widespread pessimism about its potential, to where we are now...

Particularly like the way in which this wish from Blackdown for a return to the possibility-laden days of 2000-2 (?) has come to be fulfilled as reality:

I wrote about this idea, the idea of an urban tempo plateau, over the summer.

thing is, i'm not sure its happening in London, bar funky house DJs playing "night". it was only when on holiday in the med did northern bassline heads meet funky house fans at nights hosted by grime mcs playing dubstep... bar geeneus booking funky house djs at FWD>>, it's all quite compartmentalised for now.

shame, those 2000 (UKG, 2step, 4x4, breakbeat garage, dark 4x4, proto dubstep & grime) times were fun...