Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm looking for mixes that can fit on a CDR as my MP3 player is currently dead. Preferably (very) good mixes of recent non-rinsed tunes... Can be mixtapes or 1hr 10 mixes.

Gutted I can't listen to all those rinse shows anymore :mad:

The bashment/dancehall crossover thing seems a better fit with funky than grime vocals really.

alex

Do not read this.
corpsey, are you planning to put it into a Data MP3 CD Player, you can bang as many mixes as you like onto it that way.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I haven't heard to Cooly G set in question, but some of the Funky DJs are playing this:

Maybe this is a grower...actually quite revulsed by this on first listen, sounds like functionally oppressive stuff I would run a mile from outside the context of funky, and I still don't get it :slanted:

On a more positive note, anyone know if there's likely to be any funky (perhaps Marcus N?) at Fwd this month? No listings up on the website at the mo....

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Maybe this is a grower...actually quite revulsed by this on first listen, sounds like functionally oppressive stuff I would run a mile from outside the context of funky, and I still don't get it :slanted:

Oh for sure, there's no two ways about it, Badman Riddim is fundamentally a big, dumb banger :) . It's just one that works for me, the breakdown with the crazily chopped and stretched horn sounds gets me everytime. Sure I'll get fed up with it eventually though!

Tim F

Some of Vato Gonzalez's DJ mixes are really good actually, though you can tell he's reaching towards funky-like ideas from a Fedde De Grand electro-house starting point rather than a soulful funky house X grime starting point. It helps if you've ever enjoyed stuff like Moonbootica in the past.

I like the rigidity of "Badman Riddim" because it's not totally geometric like a lot of electro-house. Apart from the ace grimey horn sample and string riffs, the sludgy bass riffing reminds me a bit of all that astonishing seasick electro-techno from Areal producers like Metope and Basteroid circa 2003/2004.

Non-geometricity (if that's a term) is basically the minimum requirement for something to work as funky. Black Strobe wouldn't fit a funky set but this can.

wise

bare BARE BONES
Oh for sure, there's no two ways about it, Badman Riddim is fundamentally a big, dumb banger :) . It's just one that works for me, the breakdown with the crazily chopped and stretched horn sounds gets me everytime. Sure I'll get fed up with it eventually though!

I think it's all about context, hearing it on it's own on youtube I was a bit unsure too but in the context of that Cooly set surrounded by more subtle funky/techno variations it sounded amazing.

viktorvaughn

Kind of recalls Dooms Night in being big, boomy but bashy.