Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
^ Thanks! Haha when I was listening to it on the night I kept thinking 'Hope Benny's recording this one'. Should really start doing it myself.

3-SEPT-copy-small2.jpg

Should be big.

Tim F

Andy, the Major Notes tune you were trying to ID is "Hell No" off the forthcoming 'Ashanti Spears' EP:

RELEASE DATE: 18TH OCTOBER
LABEL: LOSSOL ENTERTAINMENT

TRACKLISTING
1) HELL NO
2) ALCHAMAGE
3) ENERGY
4) ENIGMA

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Topsee fucking smashes the 2nd part of that set christ.

Topsy is hilarious. i prefer it when he just talks tbh, the man's a natural comedian. how you can get a pissed Canning Town geezer shouting over funky house be quite so hype is just one of life's mysteries...

Last edited:

outraygeous

Is this the same Petchy Kano name checks in the risky roads freestyle he does outside his house in his dressing gown?

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Andy, the Major Notes tune you were trying to ID is "Hell No" off the forthcoming 'Ashanti Spears' EP:

RELEASE DATE: 18TH OCTOBER
LABEL: LOSSOL ENTERTAINMENT

TRACKLISTING
1) HELL NO
2) ALCHAMAGE
3) ENERGY
4) ENIGMA

Thanks, that's great! Looking forward to checking out those other tunes.

Agree with everyone about how great Topsee is on that set. I know quite a few people think of him as being this naturally enthusiastic local guy who just wanders onto sets and shouts a lot, and obv there is a spontaneous feel to his performances that's part of the appeal, but I also reckon that he totally knows what he's doing. On this latest show he's commanding, authoritative even at times - in his voice, his flow, some of his lyrics, the way he slyly ups and downs the intesity levels.
That's totally not meant to sound moany or as a send to anyone, just my personal response. I'm really glad that people are feeling these shows and are tuning in to them regularly.

Shantie is supposed to be joining Marcus and Ranking on Rinse tonight btw.

luka

Is this the same Petchy Kano name checks in the risky roads freestyle he does outside his house in his dressing gown?

heartess crew and MAD tapes grew me, cant forget to big up petchy and scoobee.
yeah its the same one. they're all newham boys. kano and coob are east ham, petchy is plaistow. i've got a tape somwhere of scoobee, petch and a 14 year old kano. petchy was scoobees dj until he sold all his grime records and started buying funky house in about 2004/2005 or something. theres a set of scoobee, petchy and d.e.e on funky from live fm but im not sure anyones got the audio.
MAD incidently was kano monkee alley and d.e.e on decks... if memory serves... some line up like that...

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Glad to see people feeling those Smoove Kriminal sets.

This is yet another repost from ILX - but for the crew upthread who were looking for perfect-pop funky, you should def check this one.
The Fives ft Vanya Taylor - It's What You Do:
(Actual proper full video)
The verses on it sound amazingly good I reckon.

They seem to be giving the tune away free here:
but they've reached their dowload limit, so you just need to leave a comment with your email to get a copy.

Tim F

It's weird, I'd heard "It's What You Do" several times in mixes but it was seeing that video that really pushed it over the edge for me. Since posting that youtube on ILX I've probably listened to the tune about... 30, 40 times??

And Andy I think your observation re the verses hits on something: every part of the tune, every single hook, just feels consummately done and really memorable. Tune's got too many hooks: the "Have me any way you want me..." part, the "I lose my mind every time you're near..." part, the "It's what you... DO!!!" part, the "'Cause you are the hottest by far..." part.

This strikes me as a potentially huge crossover tune, much much more so than "In The Morning".

Tim F

Also the video clip really sets up uk funky as the spiritual inheritor of that whole upbeat mixed-race UK collective vibe, sorta Specials/Fun Boy Three --> Soul II Soul --> "Dub Be Good To Me"/Smith & Mighty.

This is something I've been thinking about a lot anyway (and talking about with r|t|c on ILX) and it's nice to see it reflected independently.

don_quixote

Trent End
wow I LOVE THAT VIDEO!!

(known the tune for months because funkystepz play it over and over and over again on their show and definitely i'm with tim on this one)

Last edited: