Tyro

The Kandy Tangerine Man
is it just me or has the 'wow' factor of a lot of funky that say, marcus was playing earlier in the year gone down now?

The 'wow' factor has dropped a little to these ears also.The 'Nursery Grime' novelty dance records seem to have sent The core producers/audience on the course back towards UK House and 'Dubbage'.There is some quality music around for sure,but to me as an outside observer I am finding the music far less unique and distinctive than I did say a year ago.

http://www.myspace.com/thekandytangerineman

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Those recent Mak 10 sets have had quite a lot of 'wow' tunes tho...

sorry had to correct myself from sounding like a complete knob there erk

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I agree with Grievous, also think I should start listening to Deja more though. I can sort of understand the feeling that it's not as exciting as it has been or could be, though don't think it's anything drastic. But this is part of why I want the grime to stay involved/keep getting involved with it! :)

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
is it just me or has the 'wow' factor of a lot of funky that say, marcus was playing earlier in the year gone down now?

I agree. It seems like after Lil Silva had a few big tunes all funky producers use the exact same sounds in their beats. So much funky is either Lil Silva, Roska, or sounds like one of them.

I have to say, my interest is waning. Then again, I haven't been paying much attention so people who are more on it could probably argue me out of this.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The thing is, as much as I enjoy the upbeat vocal party stuff in funky (and the switching between that style and the harder stuff) it's the really hard stuff that makes me sit up and pay attention - big subs, clattering percussion... Mak seems to play the best of this stuff.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Hey, I want to catch Marcus Nasty's show at work, but does anyone know of an alternate stream for Rinse FM? For some reason Windows Media Player is having none of it. The stream could be down but I doubt that.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I agree. It seems like after Lil Silva had a few big tunes all funky producers use the exact same sounds in their beats. So much funky is either Lil Silva, Roska, or sounds like one of them.

I have to say, my interest is waning. Then again, I haven't been paying much attention so people who are more on it could probably argue me out of this.

I take it that by now you've heard the Bok Bok and L-Vis set that is linked up on my blog, and various other places roundabout? It's not all funky, but the stuff that is really showcases the direction(s) that are exciting me most right now. Also nomos' Montreal club set that he put up recently, though I guess a lot of the tunes on that have been around for a while now. You're def right about Silva and Roska casting a big influence right now.
Edit: can't help you with the Rinse stream I'm afraid but hopefully somone else might know of a way. I checked the site just now, and it streamed into my iTunes fine, so seems ok at that end.

Corpsey, again I think we pretty much agree.

Last edited:

continuum

smugpolice
I don't know the names of the tunes they're playing but I like the style. Whereas before this style was couple of hard instrumentals and then couple of vocal tunes its now like those harder instrumental beats have got proper vocals and that is what is mostly being played. More of solid and defined sound. Not really any chance for rankin to get involved though.
Personally prefer straight instrumentals sets like Hard House Banton and D Malice.

Has got better in the last few minutes now they've moved away from the vocals.

I don't know the names of the tunes they're playing but I like the style. Whereas before this style was couple of hard instrumentals and then couple of vocal tunes its now like those harder instrumental beats have got proper vocals and that is what is mostly being played. More of solid and defined sound. Not really any chance for rankin to get involved though.
Personally prefer straight instrumentals sets like Hard House Banton and D Malice.

Has got better in the last few minutes now they've moved away from the vocals.

See, I agree to an extent but there's no real identity to some of these tunes you know? They just seem like anyodyne house in places, as opposed to funky vocals. I really like that Wonderful Day tune, for example, because it's got a certain identity to it that a lot of them lack.
Funny that the show improves as soon as I type it though.

And nah, Boomnoise, it wasn't mine. Some remix of Rock The Boat, don't know who made it; good though.

continuum

smugpolice
Yeah I agree with you - I think those anodyne vocal tunes are more of a warm up thing though you know?

Personally I think they should stick to pure hard instrumentals and rankin style MCing. Fuck pandering to some imaginary female audience who hate hard instrumentals. Watering down tunes by putting crappy female vocals on them is gay by the same logic.

Tim F

I'm writing up a list of my 50 favourite funky tunes of the year. I don't think there's been a slowdown. Marcus distorts the picture because he's gotten a lot more self-conscious about appearing "balanced" over the past six months or so.

I like "Wonderful Day" a lot but the vocals are a bit of a blatant cred-move. Was surprised to learn the vocalist is in Soultonic Soundsystem though!

franz

not a big fan of Wonderful Day. the production is nice enough, but the vocal is just kind of repetitive imo... can't stand the line about hopping "on the train or bus"... it sounds really dorky and vague to me... and i do my best not to pay attention to these things, i swear to god.

my fave vocal tune right now is def the Hardhouse Banton remix featuring Louise Williams on vocals... not sure what it's called, but it's featuring often enough in his sets lately...