paolo

Mechanical phantoms
Andy I have barely heard of any of those recommended tunes you posted earlier, gonna have to start checking Deja

Hyperdub and Night Slugs>>>>>>>>>>Big diva vocal tunes by the way

IMO

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Andy I have barely heard of any of those recommended tunes you posted earlier, gonna have to start checking Deja

IMO

Hey Paul, I hadn't heard most of them either 'till about a week and a half ago. :D
A good portion of the tunes I listed - prob about half to two thirds - can be heard on these two sets:
&
http://vulive.co.uk/content/2009/12/03/weeksey-and-bandit-13-november-2009/
So they're as good a place to start as any.
I'm a sucker for big diva vocals if they hit me the right way. Not dissing the Hyperdub type stuff though, don't get it twisted, they're prob the label I bought the most tunes from last year.

benjybars

village elder.
U Cheated is quality. definitely one of the biggest tunes of last year.

there was a Oneman set from last summer where he mixes Numan - Secrets into U Cheated. sounded so good. must have listened to that blend about 400 times..

alex

Do not read this.
yea that 'U Cheated' is a hard track, havent really felt anything else he has released/put out though...havent heard much except the latest well rounded but that is weak.

mms

sometimes

IMO

you'll be lucky to find many 'big diva vocals' in funky.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
yea that 'U Cheated' is a hard track, havent really felt anything else he has released/put out though...havent heard much except the latest well rounded but that is weak.

If U Want Me is good, though I've heard quite a few people say it's too much like Black Sun.

benjybars

village elder.
yeah If U Want Me is sick. so is Heartbreaker on b-side of his first release.

Deadboy will be massive by the end of this year i reckon

jackmaster

time, space, transmat

Deadboy has only released one record. The last Well Rouned is by Ultrasound.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
yeah If U Want Me is sick. so is Heartbreaker on b-side of his first release.

Deadboy will be massive by the end of this year i reckon

or, judging by how short the hype cycle these days, completely last month's news, struggling on with that 'difficult second single.' ;)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

on a deadboy tip tonight...no idea if this counts as funky. doesn't really matter when it's this good.

Agreed 'U cheated' and 'Heartbreaker' are both gorgeous. seems he's taking Burial's moody RnB vibe to a more danceable funky template.

Great recommendations from Tim F and Andy btw, thanks, working through them now.

Algierstwin

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

on a deadboy tip tonight...no idea if this counts as funky. doesn't really matter when it's this good.

HIS cassie refix is really nice too :)

Tim F

What a disaster for Deadboy that he has to suffer imaginary Tim F slings and arrows.

People worried about feeling the full force of my critical ba(n)ton, chill: you're conflating my irritation at dismissive or non- coverage of the stuff I love with some imagined rage at coverage of stuff I like or am indifferent to.

Obv some of you are pretty committed to the current status quo, that's fine, far be it from me to tell you what you should like.

Carry on, I'll be over here listening to Naughty Raver's "Drama" or HHB's "Peek'n'Duck".

luka

the balance of the thread needed tipping and we tipped it. stop whinging. i dont see why asking a funky thread to be about funky rather than dubstep is a bad thing really. that deadboy is just more shitty sub-burial dubstep. delete that post.

luka

yeah sub burial... obviously yeah burial liked the way garage producers made those r&b vocal sound real emotive and affecting. but part of the reason for that was the contrast between the joy of the rest of the track and the ache of the vocal. with burial and this lot of imitators the whole thing is just lachyrmose... it overdoes it till it sounds pathetic.
i elaborate only because i said im going to be polite from now on. if you like deadoutboy that doesnt mean i think you are a bad person. we can all live together in harmony.

alex

Do not read this.
I would say that there are shittier burial clones than deadboy. And I wouldn’t even call him a burial clone? His stuff sounds nothing like burial? I dont know where you get that opinion from?