Benny Bunter

last I heard was that she'd packed it in !

A real shame if thats true. She should be up there getting props like Cooly G is, she's every bit as good if not better (if you'll forgive the rather crass comparison: 'Duh, they're both female funky producers'). 'Between us' is amazing. If you haven't already go and buy it at ukfunky.com ffs

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

weird to hear katy bs on a mission on radio 1 this morning.
rinse must have got some big name pluggers/pr or something.
would be kind of cool if she becomes a big pop star.
even if im worried they might push her more on the dubstep side since this and the magnetic man single.
would be nice to see someone like ny get this sort of push but yknow.
(obv i know on a mission is a dubstep tune but i still think of katy b as more of a funky artist, hence why ive put it in this thread)

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Does anyone think perfect pop of garage will ever be reached again ?
And who are the contenders ?

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
Yeah, the new cooly is good.

Track ID, probably quite old, not even sure if its UK. Female vocal 'All I really want is for you to come home'. Cheers in advance.

thats south african - kentphonic ft kehnsy hiya kaya roco deep mix

rubberdingyrapids

Does anyone think perfect pop of garage will ever be reached again ?

i doubt it, just cos i dont know if the songwriting chops are there. or maybe its just that the lack of chart action for funky isnt motivating anyone (if in the morning couldnt do it...). katy b could be in with a chance though ive still not heard anything as good as her earlier stuff. kyla doesnt seem to have another do you mind in her.

i wouldnt mind some more 'i need love's (roska) in funky, myself.

Last edited:

Tim F

i doubt it, just cos i dont know if the songwriting chops are there. or maybe its just that the lack of chart action for funky isnt motivating anyone (if in the morning couldnt do it...)

I think there are more key distinctions b/w funky and garage in this regard:

1. Garage coincided with quite similar sounding R&B, which made pop-minded ears more likely to hear garage as pop.

2. For the above reason, and also because of its singular beat pattern, garage could go as populist as it wanted without sacrificing its distinctiveness or singularity. This is harder to do with funky - strip away its more dangerous qualities and you end up with straight vocal house-pop (something like Perempay's "Time To Let Go" for example). Conversely "Do You Mind" isn't really "pop" per se (more of a house tune really) except by accident.

So in my opinion funky, much more than for garage, is a case where the pop elements usually work best when balanced by other qualities which are... not "non-pop" per se, but perhaps not conducive to the tunes being perceived as actual pop tunes.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's the hardness of the drums in funky too, isn't it? As you say, when you take that away it becomes more like straight house.

I have no idea what people go for in terms of pop, though. I would assume a tune like ''As I'' by Geeneus would be a potential hit but maybe that's just cos I'm into funky already?

rubberdingyrapids

do you mind is a pop tune cos its great pop songwriting. not by trying to go 'commersh' or cos they were trying to write a pop hit, but it just hits all the targets you expect a pop song to.
im not sure about the 'strip funkys dangerous qualities away and all you have is house' cos in the morning was rhythmically a stripped down funky drum pattern which seemed to give it greater room to breathe melody wise but it was still very much rooted in funky, although yeah, it could prob pass as unusual R&B too (which could then give it pop appeal, without actually trying to be pop). i actually like the fact funky doesnt seem to be trying to be out and out pop (its more soul-R&B/house values), though even then i think theres room for a great number of vocals to be consistently better.

Tim F

I think the fact that "In The Morning" was so focused around a jarring (loveably so) drum pattern is one of the things that prevented it from being a hit!

"Do You Mind" is a fabulous tune but it's not really an out and out pop track, it's the kind of song that totally entrances you if you're already open to something of that nature.

rubberdingyrapids

i agree that the funky drums template is obv just too unusual for the pop charts these days (well until 2015 at least - the year of funkys mainstream breakthrough!) but even within this scene there does seem to be a void of in the morning contendors. in my ideal singles chart, in the morning would be number one, as would do you mind, as i, etc, but there arent many other songs id consider having that same potential. but its okay i think, people are too locked into the idea of 'must blow must blow' all the time, and funkys just kinda moving along at its own pace, notching up a steady rather than urgent stream of should-have-been-huge hits along the way.

muser

dont think that egypt track could ever make it into pop charts, asside from the rhythm its pretty lo-fi in its production. maybe with a remix by clipz or some other mong.

rubberdingyrapids

dva got fatima to vocal his natty tune.
not really a fan of her hectoring style of singing but i like what hes done with the track. sounds like something alex nut would play.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Plus, lest we forget, her nose was a par. And that doesn't help to be frank.

I'll always remember the youtube comment "is her name egypt cos she has a pyramid on her boat race"

@rubberdingyrapids - Benji B's been playing the fuck out of that DVA/Fatima track the last month or so, and I definitely hear what you're saying regarding the way he's changed the track. Gives it a much more structured, song-like feel, and would work really well in a club environment, at a different time than a DJ would traditionally drop Natty or whatever. Interesting how he's managed to change the energy in the track so much with the addition of a few synths.

EDIT: Oh aye, Roska & Untold record out on Numbers shortly. Almost forgot about that project for a while.