things you have never drunk, but will before you die

N

nomadologist

If you're going to have a malt liquor, go for OE800. I have done extensive research into all strong, cheap booze as it is what Winston Churchill would want me to do (saying this, I imagine he'd want me to stop listening to Deep Wound, but you have to draw a line somewhere).

I don't know, I used to drink a Steel Reserve every morning before class that seemed to work just fine.

Also Balantine's is good if you like weirdly sour and bitter malt liquor.

STN

sou'wester
Does steel reserve do that one 'High Gravity'? That's probably my second choice malt liquor.

N

nomadologist

Does steel reserve do that one 'High Gravity'? That's probably my second choice malt liquor.

haha! yes, they do i think. my least favorite is the colt 45, from what i remember.

there's nothing like a 40 in a brown bag to make you feel like a complete lowlife, is there?

N

nomadologist

i once had the chance to steal a couple of sips from a $350 bottle of wine. it was the most complex thing i've ever tasted. it wasn't that it was just really delicious or something. it was actually quite odd with all of these different characteristics that kept changing. i want to do that again but with some contraband cheese.

i used to have a rule about drinking things that were blue (i.e. if something is blue you should try it) but nothing good came of it. except maybe a martini.

this is interesting to read...once i tasted a small amount of white wine from this vineyard on the Rhine , which they claimed was over 100 years old...it was very complex like you say, but had a very buttery aftertaste. it was nothing like what you'd imagine extremely vintage wine to taste like, but still amazing.

wouldn't that be a fun pastime for the insanely rich? hundred-year-old wine tasting.

petergunn

plywood violin
OH i remember....

300px-OE_800.JPG

this will happen

i feel so exotic!

petergunn

plywood violin
haha! yes, they do i think. my least favorite is the colt 45, from what i remember.

there's nothing like a 40 in a brown bag to make you feel like a complete lowlife, is there?

you have a smart palate, colt 45 = malt liquor w/ the last amount of alcohol, besides mickey's, which is prolly the best tasting...

steel reserve is too much for me these days, haven't had it in years... most hi octane malt liquor gives me headaches these days, but back when i was stone cold broke 6-7 years ago, it was perfect... at 8% alcohol and the 50 cent pint cans of it at all the local delis, you could get pretty buzzed for a dollar...

balentine is actually an ale, and a beer i will seriously ride for... i mean, it's no fancy pants microbrew but i have def suprised a few people w/ how decent it is... def much better than bud, miller, coors, et all... best of the worst, maybe... tho with Yuengling selling 22's for 1.59, it's become my default beer... as well as the czech Burgerbrau stuff that my local supermarket has been selling for 99 cents a pint, much better than alot of the cheapie czech beers...

tho, i noticed that all that ballentine's 40's with the 1.99 price tag stamped on the label have disappeared... INFLATION IN ACTION... man, i think i am going to go get one now...

uh, now that i actually have a taste for whiskey, i wish i'd tasted more good scotches when i was in scotland years ago...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Can I just ask, what the hell is 'malt liquor'? I mean, from the name I'd guess it to be some sort of whisk(e)y/bourbon - am I getting warm?

petergunn

plywood violin
forget mickeys, forget old english, forget all that soft shit:

7389.jpg
7389.jpg
7389.jpg
7389.jpg
7389.jpg
7389.jpg
7389.jpg
7389.jpg
7389.jpg
7389.jpg

actually king cobra is only 6% alcohol, fairly low for malt liquor... st ides and steel reserve are much stronger... around 8%... up in canada it gets stronger still, 10-11-12 percent malt liquor... ooooof...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Can I just ask, what the hell is 'malt liquor'? I mean, from the name I'd guess it to be some sort of whisk(e)y/bourbon - am I getting warm?

Oh, so it's basically strong beer? Like our very own Spesh:

Special_Brew.jpg

(Well it's actually Danish, obviously, but I'm sure it's brewed in the UK.)

zhao

there are no accidents

from what i understand malt liquor is made from the left over stuff after proper beer is made. hence it is cheap. don't know why it's usually a bit stronger than beer though.

i remember a 40 ounce of the King was 1.35USD in Texas in the early 90s...

petergunn

plywood violin
Oh, so it's basically strong beer? Like our very own Spesh:

Special_Brew.jpg

(Well it's actually Danish, obviously, but I'm sure it's brewed in the UK.)

yes... special brew and tennant's super have a different taste... neither are available in the US, sadly...

they taste more "beery", i guess b/c malt liquor has no hops in it... your average malt liquor when drank ICE cold goes down easy when you are young, almost easier than beer, as it isn't really bitter or anything, as opposed to special brew, which tastes like spiked beer or something...

sadly, i think due to some arcane laws they aren't allowed here, b/c i notice when certain strong bottled ales are imported here from england (Old Nick, for one) they are sold as "barley wines", as opposed to beer... regardless, they ARE allowed in canada... i recall buying some 16oz cans of Carlsberg Special Brew there around 99 or 2000... haven't noticed it there in a while, as the 40oz Carling Big 10% has become my go to beer when the need to be obliterated cheaply come up...

PS. marmite tastes like cockroach butter...

N

nomadologist

actually king cobra is only 6% alcohol, fairly low for malt liquor... st ides and steel reserve are much stronger... around 8%... up in canada it gets stronger still, 10-11-12 percent malt liquor... ooooof...

i haven't seen these around in forever--do they still exist, or are my local bodegas just poorly stocked?

petergunn

plywood violin
i haven't seen these around in forever--do they still exist, or are my local bodegas just poorly stocked?

could a proven money maker like that go away?

maybe your section of bushwick has finally become east williamsburg...

all this talk of malt liquor inspired me to buy some Blue Bull...

schlitz_malt_liquor_bull.jpg

hopefully i do not regret this,,,

also, i have decided officially, the best taking malt liqour to alcohol ratio is Heffenreffer Private Stock... gets you tilted, yet not too bad tasting...