what you currently enjoying ?

Leo

old stereolab and broadcast albums, for some reason. i never paid any attention to them at the time, so i'm only now discovering what indie fans of 15 years ago were all excited about! (dontcha love when that happens?)

also old main street records stuff ("round one to round five" compilation cd).

and what's the deal with the horrors? i've recently seen some shockingly good reviews from people i respect, worth checking out?

Leo

if you consider flaccid pretendo kraut for chic cafes super.

first stereolab was nice enough. and broadcast only ever did 1, one, good song.

ha! yeah, i hear ya. and that's how i always used to think of them, until now, for some reason. maybe because they aren't the cool new thing anymore, and i don't go to chic cafes. ;)

stereolab have been doing it for almost 20 years, so i'd have to believe they are sincere about their sound. plus, they've collaborated with nurse with wound!

zhao

there are no accidents
stereolab have been doing it for almost 20 years, so i'd have to believe they are sincere about their sound. plus, they've collaborated with nurse with wound!

no i mean kudos to them where it's due, and i certainly like them much much more thana shit load of other indie wank, what with the Marxist posturing (which i could be also accused of) and all...

that nurse with would collabo is the only thing i ever play anymore. the story is steve stapleton did the project very reluctantly.

in addition to derivative and unoriginal music, it's the white chicks softly cooing generic vocals that rub me entirely the wrong way these days. maybe i'm just burnt out on that aesthetic as in my teens i listened to way too much Cocteau Twins and Curve and SlowDive and MBV...

Last edited:

Immryr

i'm loving yoruba andabo - cajones bullangueros and the song tonache by carlos embale more than just about anything at the moment.

mms

sometimes
if you consider flaccid pretendo kraut for chic cafes super.

first stereolab was nice enough. and broadcast only ever did 1, one, good song.

nonsense broadcast are massively underated and fantastic, a much more exciting band than stereolab i think, and yes that headphone thing with steve stapleton is a masterpiece.

zhao

there are no accidents
i'm loving yoruba andabo - cajones bullangueros and the song tonache by carlos embale more than just about anything at the moment.

that's the shit right there. i've been rinsing some yoruba street percussion myself. shit is fire. sounds at times similar to Voudou...

thoroughly enjoyed an hours worth of marimbas from Oaxaca this morning during breakfast, with a little girl free style singing along :)

Immryr

i dunno what yoruba street percussion is, but yoruba andabo are a band from cuba playing mostly rumba, may not be what you're talking about.

zhao

there are no accidents
i dunno what yoruba street percussion is, but yoruba andabo are a band from cuba playing mostly rumba, may not be what you're talking about.

oh right... they are not actually from west africa. ok i got confused...

polystyle

It seems quite possible the yoruba street percussion + yoruba cuban - santeria could sound something like voudou - given some 'belief system' relation.
Santeria & Voudou , now you know yer in trouble,
:)

Client Eastwood

at the end of the interview it says GSH is going to be working with D Rascals producer. I take it nothing came of it since the interview is about a year old ?