Amplesamples

Flying Lotus.

My favourite tune by is the Roberta Flack remix by Martyn. Got the first album, thought it was very boring indeed

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Sorry, she's trying WAY too hard to be shocking (one of the things that personally gets my proverbial goat...)*

* I understand that the point of the Aristocrats is shock to a certain degree, but you can see her mentally straining - is this enough? To me it comes across as a bit of desperate need to ingratiate herself with an audience, just like the kid at school who says 'shocking' things to play the class clown.

Nah, that whole film is comedians one-upping each other and she owns the whole film with that one; it works better in context but comedy generally does.

CrowleyHead

Yeah, I don't get how he can love Crowley and still cry and blame EVERYTHING on Masonry. As Crowley was a Mason. It's kind of like being a member of the KKK and blaming everything on the Masons... I digress though.

As for Sarah Silverman, she has one brilliant line, for the rest of her life: "Our child will just have to understand that, Mommy believes her people are the chosen ones... And daddy believes that 'Jesus is Magic!'"

petergunn

plywood violin
i mean of course hicks was corny, he liked rage against the machine for christs sake
but he was able to transcend that through the power of his personality. him and lee are operating on completely differnent levels, its not the same game.

bill hicks was a HUGE influence on S. Lee, if that means anything to you...

i am sorta in your boat, i find so few english comedians funny... plenty are clever, few are funny in way that makes you just burst out laughing... i love those peter cook/dudley moore records ("you fucking cunt"), but you are right, alot of british standup is overly thought out preaching to the choir stuff... which is weird, b/c in general, on a random basis, your average brit is much funnier than yr average american...

and to reply upthread, i think L.Bruce can be criticized... sometimes he himself is not THAT funny at the end of the day... more of an interest as a groundbreaker, which is to say w/o Bruce, R. Pryor would be Redd Foxx and G. Carlin would be another schmuck hoping this time Johnny Carson lets him sit on the couch for 5 minutes... comedy can indeed be classified as b4 and after L.Bruce, but he himself has plenty of dull routines...

scottdisco

rip this joint please
OTM re a lot of preaching to the choir. you do get rambling beauty like Ross Noble or Bill Bailey (now they are funny) and character brilliance like Rob Brydon (ditto) among Brit comics but i think it was Zhao that first observed the ease of some of the targets of some Brits. side-note: STFU Alexei Sayle.

and is it just me, or do you have an ambivalent attitude toward Frankie Boyle (a fast rising sacred cow a la Charlie Brooker i think)?
some of his lines are very snappy and it can be brutally funny, but - and perhaps this is just my wearing sandals - there's a lot of mean-spiritedness sometimes, and it turns me right off.

on the other hand, though there are some great US sitcoms (to name three personal faves, Frasier, Bilko which i believe is far more popular over here than in the States, and i think Seinfeld is arguably the best) Britain has more quality in this area (Rising Damp, Porridge, Fools and Horses, Fawlty, Blackadder, and lots of other stuff for eg).

Mark Rothko isn't quite a sacred cow because he has been quite widely critiqued (Robert Hughes has something quite graphic in an anthology of his), but he is basically extremely popular among the public in general (not mentioning a certain D Stubbs book ;) ) so, er, i'll nominate him.

bill_hicks.jpg

+

beer-posters.jpg

+

PPR45029.jpg

=

M055~John-Belushi-Whiskey-Posters.jpg

scottdisco

rip this joint please
mind the US sitcom canon will continue to grow thanks to the incredibly fertile teams of snappy writers MO thing, eg Friends and onward.

a lot of the best Brit sitcom-type things of recent years have had some decent adult themes, e.g. The Inbetweeners, or all those dark 'northern gaudy gothic' caricatures they seem to have on BBC2.

luka

oh god seinfeld, now theres a sacred cow. that is the most loathsome thing ive ever seen in tv. that i hate more than anything. snide, horrible show. not remotely suprsing that they were all outed as racist hate filled scumbags. never raised even a smile, just made me think, you lot are cunts.
dylan moran=cunt
as well
bill bailey is actually alright to be fair.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
oh god seinfeld, now theres a sacred cow. that is the most loathsome thing ive ever seen in tv. that i hate more than anything. snide, horrible show. not remotely suprsing that they were all outed as racist hate filled scumbags. never raised even a smile, just made me think, you lot are cunts.
dylan moran=cunt
as well
bill bailey is actually alright to be fair.

now, i'm on your side with this lot!

Perhaps Curb Your Enthusiasm has become even more of a sacred cow than Seinfeld. Either way, loathsome as fuck. I find Arrested Development, on the other hand, sorely underrated - though wasn't one of the guys off that involved in some kind of v dodgy off-screen furore as well?

Re Frankie Boyle - I find his one-liners really funny, but the mean-spiritness is definitely there, and his stand-up shows don't work (one-liners, no flow).

Last edited:

luka

i cant enjoy comics or novelists who exhibit mean-spiritness. it disgusts me. you can hate, but there's a right way to hate and right things to hate.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
i got dragged to a ross noble show a couple of years ago and i laughed until i felt sick.. not seen much live comedy but that stands out by a mile.

also a few years ago, i went to a gig at the spitz in london (RIP) and to my surprise stewart lee was compere. in fact, the night was headlined by seminal manc postpunk efforts, the nightingales - his favourite band, apparently. it was a rowdy crowd, boiling hot atmosphere, and he was clearly quite nervous, physically shaking and sweating profusely, but he was brilliant, moody and very funny. i found his quite meandering, conspiratorial delivery engaging. my friend said it was mostly old material but it was new to me and i laughed alot. you don't want to see me get ang lee, etc

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I like Delia. Her books are really good, and she's been unveiled as an utter mentalist since that debacle at Norwich.

(Obviously I still like Nigella more, against my better instincts...) I think TV chefs in general get a bad rap. Can't think of many I don't like, except that James Martin guy, who I met and who is an arrogant cock.

Who's the guy who does the series in Corsica, Sardinia etc? He's particularly good, and Blumenthal is a legend, down to food poisoning 400 people or whatever it was. Jokes.

STN

sou'wester
seminal manc postpunk efforts, the nightingales

weren't they from Birmingham?

Can't really comment on Stewart Lee, Richard Herring is reeeeeeeeaaaally dull though. Curb your enthusiasm is just some old prat stuttering for half an hour. Tedious, tedious, rubbish, rubbish.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
clearly Michael Richards (Seinfeld's Kramer) is a cock.

and people are right, Seinfeld and even more so - i think these days with this accumulating persona of Larry David - Curb, are definitely sacred cows.

a lot of these new-wave of US sitcoms i've not seen, Arrested Development, ...Philadelphia, How I Met Your Mother etc etc are supposed to be really good and i've heard top things about them.

good shout Luka on the mean-spiritedness; in fact for a long time i didn't like Brooker as what i saw of him was just this sneering lack of warmth, but then when i read a few of his articles he's always using his anger for progressive points (in a slightly less simplistic way than Hicks or Lee tbf).

The Wire.

The Sopranos.

(i love them both.)

Chris Morris is definitely a sacred cow. (Brass Eye is very funny, that said.)