Beards - are they evil?

Beard or not?

• Yes I am a proud beardy, hear me roar!

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • I am a former beardy, but no longer

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • I will not countenance growing a beard!

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • I am not able to grow a beard

Votes: 13 28.9%

• Total voters
D

droid

Yeah, its a good beard, but would you say there were 40 years between the pictures?

Everyone looked like that in Dublin in the 60s and 70s btw. Ive seen some shocking photos of my da in his youth.

A semi-serious beard related question: Has the status of the beard in the west ever been lower than it is today? Is the lack of beards a sign of cultural/civilisational 'advancement' or just a consumer and advertising driven affectation?

tom pr

i really admire gary glitter's beard. it's like he's picked the most sinister, paedo-ish one he could find:

ce652b7d-69df-40be-913b-4859268d5a02.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There was some Russian folk orchestra on tour in London a few months ago and the band leader or whoever he was, whose face was all over the posters advertising it, was the absolute spit of Mr. Glitter. As he looks now. Kept doing double-takes every time I caught the tube, it was weird.

swears

preppy-kei
I wish I was one of these fellas that can shave once every two weeks, it does my head in having to shave every day, and I get a big red rash on my top lip if I'm not careful.

zhao

there are no accidents
Has the status of the beard in the west ever been lower than it is today? Is the lack of beards a sign of cultural/civilisational 'advancement' or just a consumer and advertising driven affectation?

what about all the new folkies with their beards? also a lot of more reclusive and out of the way hipsters who fancy themselves "eccentric" have embraced beards.

but i guess maybe compared to past generations there are relatively few today... definitely not a sign of "advancement", more the later i would say. to me there is something inherently "anti-modern" about it, luddite-ish.

i would if i could. just the asian goat/soul patch for now.

doom

Public Housing
Hiding fat chins?

This!

I did away with mine this time last year..... it was bloody awfull! Made me look like every generic Australian ever! Some of my friends did a 'call me when its back' kind of move.

droid said:
A semi-serious beard related question: Has the status of the beard in the west ever been lower than it is today? Is the lack of beards a sign of cultural/civilisational 'advancement' or just a consumer and advertising driven affectation?

The Romans weren't keen on em re: the "sign of cultural/civilisational 'advancement'" angle, which to my Germanic mind is reason enough for beards to be considered A Good Thing. Men without beards / facial hair are suspicous, 9 times outta 10 they are the guys that won't look you square in the eye & have a limp handshake, or, more comman amoungst the younger generation, aren't actually used to shaking hands!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Thing is, though, any given full-bearded man featured on the news these days is as likely as not to be of the Angry Shouty Nutter persuasion.

soundslike1981

After seeing some rather bad photographs of myself fully clean-shaven, I've let my usual weeks' worth of stubble grow the last month. I'm decidedly of the orange-brown-blonde haired persuasion, and the result almost surely qualifies as "patchy"--is this an unforgivable evil? I'll keep it trimmed and non-pubic looking; I just don't want to be bald-faced, whilst my work allows.

Moustache and sideburns areas are passable, but it's inherently a bit wispy at the chin, and the moustache will likely always be free-standing. . .

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Yes, they're evil on anyone under 50 who doesn't live in the Ozark mountains. A goatee a la Diz was good back then. Albert Ayler grew a good one. Eric Dolphy too. Saw a pic of Steve McQueen sporting one in his later years...very sad.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
beards are pretty huge right now i would say, especially considering how out of favor they were in the 90s. they are mostly ironic or devendra banhart-ish, there's this guy i kept seeing all summer near my house who i swear to god is devendra banhart with that beard, hair, and superhippy clothes. does anyone know where DB lives and if he's this guy who's always on morgan avenue?

beards and jazz hats are both pretty huge right now.

re fatherly beard trauma, i was completely at a loss when my father shaved one day when i was probably 3 and my mother and i came home and he jumped out from behind the door to be funny. i was terrified and confused. i kept thinking very suspiciously "who is this asshole who keeps walking around pretending to be my dad, and what did he do with my real dad?" this was of course 1985 so most old guys had beards or at least moustaches a la tom selleck

of course at the same age i always used to wonder if everyone else on earth was an alien but me and someday they'd all reveal they were aliens. i think i must have been watching too many twilight zone reruns