alex

Do not read this.
bok bok's ustream was tough last night, rashad merked it

he played a tune called 'It's Time' by himself that Gantman very kindly ID'd for me, fucking amazing, like nothing i've heard before.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Perhaps I just missed it but as far as I can see no-one has mentioned the Rashad thing at XoYo tomorrow. My friend is playing in the other room (I think it's the other room) and I'd really like to go but I've got a feeling that I'm not going to be able to make it.

alex

Do not read this.
not tryna discourage anyone from going to see rashad, wish i was going tbh, but the bouncers in there are pricks

wise

bare BARE BONES
hearing lots of bad things about XOYO, the night's sold out anyway, just a few tickets early doors I think

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
shit, will have to get there super-early to get a ticket then :/

what tracks does Rashad always tend ot play, out of interest, if anyone knows/if he has signature tunes at all?

alex

Do not read this.
he'll probably play most of his own stuff (you would hope) and basically the hottest juke right now, well that's what he's mostly been playing on the radio & ustream (and fwd obviously)

tunes like ghost

drop juke out
the footcrab remix
the manny tune (aw shit here i come)

prepare for the unexpected though, guy's got mad dubs

oh and the bouncers in XOYO, well, i'll give you an example, i asked one when i was downstairs where to go for a cig, he looked me up and down like a piece of shit and just pointed upstairs, so i went up, found the door, asked the bouncer there the same thing if it was the right exit, he looked at me up and down, nodded. Then when I went to walk out he put his arm on my chest and said 'no drinks'...RMFE

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Thanks Alex - realised I haven't been up with juke recently. I know Rashad's biggest few tunes (in my head at least!), but not so much else - thx for the links

XOYO - they sound like arseholes. But tbh it's so frequent in London (either from boucners or punters) that I kinda steel myself against it when I go out. Unfortuante but true :eek:

jimitheexploder

Just realised DJ Roc's One Blood and DOK's Blood are almost the same track. Same samples, pretty much the same chopping. Both killer tracks.

muser

going to see Rashad tonight looking forward to it, hope its not too rediciulously rammed the place is tiny!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
going to see Rashad tonight looking forward to it, hope its not too rediciulously rammed the place is tiny!

What did anyone else think to Rashad? Missed some of it, but...underwhelmed by what I heard. Maybe it was the soundsystem, dunno, but...then again, most of it didn't even seem to be juke, at least the juke I've heard and fell for....

XOYO better as a venue than I feared tho - always go with low expectations is the lesson here!

gumdrops

prob a redundant question, but how much do guys like rashad listen to hip hop i wonder. cos a lot of the samples he uses (that i like) i remember from hearing them first on hip hop tracks. or is there a whole house history of sampling things like roy ayers and al green that ive missed out on.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Don't know the answer to yr question I'm afraid, but I'm wondering if this stuff comes out of ppl growing up listenign to both house and hip-hop, like a lineage from those amazing Jeff Mills mixes of the late 80s where he was mashing together everything as thought there were no boundaries...

cos I miss that kind of thing.

gumdrops

it prob is that, yeah. though as far as no boundaries, i thought that was the era we were living in. you obv havent seen the post dubstep thread.

re: the set last night not being what you thought it might be, maybe he played more straight up juke than footwork type tracks?

Last edited: